Murray wins Wimbledon

1st Brit in 77 years to win it.

»www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=427170

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
kudos:1

To be fair the last British person to win a Wimbledon singles final was Virginia Wade in 1977, but Murray is indeed the first Brit to take the men's singles in almost 80 years. He is also the first Brit to win the title wearing shorts(Fred Perry wore trousers).

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

1st Brit in 77 years to win it.

»www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=427170

Nice win for the home crowd. Gave them something to cheer about.
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to ZZZZZZZ

And another sports announcer stuck his foot in his mouth when he said the Woman's Wimbledon champ had to work harder in life to succeed because she wasn't attractive. So far the BBC is refusing to fire him, but the pressure is building.
»news.yahoo.com/pressure-mounts-b···767.html

John Inverdale incensed radio listeners before Bartoli beat German Sabine Lisicki when he asked if people thought her father told her when little that she was never going to be "a looker" like Maria Sharapova so would have to fight harder for success.

»thatimagesite.files.wordpress.co···8&h=3000
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

John Inverdale is a great announcer and he was only stating facts, she aint a looker.

Be a shame if he got fired for that.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Whether he's a good announcer or not............he's an idiot for opening his mouth with that statement.

But funnily enough she had Amélie Mauresmo in her court,who for years had rumours circulating that she was previously a man.

»www.google.ca/images?output=sear···0CC4QsAQ

I always thought she was too.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

"he's an idiot for opening his mouth with that statement."

Maybe or maybe the politically correct idiots say so.

Look at a picture of her and tell me you dont agree.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to ZZZZZZZ

What do you think?

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Coastie

I think he's right. But its politically incorrect to call her ugly especially for a broadcaster.

You can also put Andy Murray in that category. Pale, anemic but one helluva tennis player.
--
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

I haven't listened to the announcers comments, but on the surface it is dumb. Attractiveness or lack does play a tangential role in how others treat you in life. I don't believe for one minute that this woman had to work harder on the court to be successful because of her looks. Winning in sports is about performance on the court or on the field. Maybe this woman won't be a cover girl but that is something outside of the sports competition. Bartoli can't fight harder to be a cover girl, she just won't be one. Once stepping on the court, Maria Sharapova and Marion Bartoli are only unequal in regards to their physical talent and tennis skills.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Murray played well in the final and throughout the entire tournament. His tournament win is well deserved.

Djokovich despite being the number one ranked player he clearly is struggling physically this year and is not playing anywhere near the physical and mental level from last year.

lindamartin

join:2013-07-20
reply to Soho97UK

Is it real? I appreciate that event.