how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL

KDE Theme Dialog: Page Not Found Or HTML Page?

Why is it that I went into System Settings, Workspace Appearance, Splash Screen, Get New Themes, chose to install Peace Splash, and get this error message 'Download of "Peace Splash" failed, error The file or folder »mr-brightside.com/Peace-splash.tar.gz... (truncated)'? Or get this: I chose to download something that I can't remember, click Install, and get this message "The downloaded file is an HTML file. This indicates a link to a website instead of the actual download. Would you like to open the site with the browser instead?" If I choose "Yes," I get something like "Domain 'domainname.com' for sale" which indicates a broken link from the theme installer system.

For my particular "user experience," I'd really like to hit an Install button and be done with it. In other words, the theme installer should take care of the rest. Otherwise, someone who got so interested in KDE and want to try out different themes only to end up with frustration like me would declare KDE as an unfinished product. Well, not really, but I'm expecting a lot more improvements in the theme system when it comes to installing themes. (Sigh) How about calling KDE "half-baked?"

Pardon me with all my rant but am I overly exaggerating? I thought I might share my frustration with others around here.
--
Phone: Yealink SIP-T22P + CSipSimple in Optimus V
Phone System: Asterisk 10.1; Server: Debian Sid+Exp

I'm in heaven with VoIP except for 3G wireless.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

said by GraysonPeddi:

Pardon me with all my rant but am I overly exaggerating?

Yes, I think so.

I tried repeating what you did. It seemed pretty clear that "Get New Themes" was pointing to various web sites for accessing themes. There is even a "details" button for each listed them which tells you something about the source.

Personally, I would not load themes from untrusted sites. I would first have to investigate the site.

In your case, you seem to be trying to install a theme where the source web page is dead. Yes, that happens to web pages.

If you stick to themes available directly from your distro, you will probably avoid these annoyances. If you want access to themes from all over the web, then you get to deal with the fact that there are always parts of the web that are broken.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 21.0

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
Ah, I understand now. I did not mean to exaggerate. My bad.

It seems to me that "Get New Themes" is less like a repository but accesses files from different websites from all over the world. "Get New Themes" is like using Chrome or Firefox in order to search for themes, but in this case I'll have to install a theme myself.

This can be very confusing for newcomers to KDE who simply wants to click a button to install a theme and select the theme to use.
--
Phone: Yealink SIP-T22P + CSipSimple in Optimus V
Phone System: Asterisk 10.1; Server: Debian Sid+Exp

I'm in heaven with VoIP except for 3G wireless.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by GraysonPeddi:

This can be very confusing for newcomers to KDE who simply wants to click a button to install a theme and select the theme to use.

Yes, I do think they could improve the wording on that page to make it a bit clearer.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 21.0