how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24

1 edit

Assigned IP

We lost power early morning today and got the power back okay. In the process my IP change to 72.xx.xx.xx which is fine and it seems no problem with the speed or latency as before. However, some sites does not recognize my ip as a FIOS's one but Verizon internet service's ip. And one thing weird when I watch ESPN's streaming events it recognizes me as a "frontier" customer instead of powered by Verizon FIOS. It's more of the curiosity type is the reason I posted, I know I can change ip I'm just wanting to know why the ip's owner is not FIOS.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1

AFAICT, Verizon has one pool of IPs, shared among DSL and Fios customers. I frequently get identified as being on DSL when I come here, even though I repeatedly tell the site otherwise, and it even claims it's storing my ISP preference in a cookie.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

They probably just added that block to fios from DSL. It usually takes between 2 weeks and a month for them to get it completely re-assigned in ARIN and reverse hostname and whatnot.

If it goes more than a month like that I'd call and complain. Then again you're DHCP so you can just try to pull down a new IP hopefully in a new IP block.

It kinda sucked when I got a new static IP block when I went to GPON it was an old DSL dhcp block, and since I run a mailserver it was a month of email hell since everyone thought I was a DHCP address.

bluepoint

said by McBane:

They probably just added that block to fios from DSL. It usually takes between 2 weeks and a month for them to get it completely re-assigned in ARIN and reverse hostname and whatnot.

But why would I be even identified as a "frontier" customer? There is nowhere "frontier" in my area, DSL service here is also Verizon.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1

Probably a block of IPs they got back from Frontier. Since all ip blocks are now assigned for IPV4, their are lots of these blocks being switched around (for bucks of course) between the various providers.

bluepoint

reply to wmcbrine

said by wmcbrine:

I frequently get identified as being on DSL when I come here, even though I repeatedly tell the site otherwise, and it even claims it's storing my ISP preference in a cookie.

Yes, dslreports identify me as from Verizon DSL. No biggie, provided it's not a disadvantage of accessing sites or being blocked then once it happens I'll renew to a FIOS identified ip.

bluepoint

reply to tnsprin

said by tnsprin:

Probably a block of IPs they got back from Frontier.

That's what I think happens. Oh well, as long as I'm not to a disadvantage it's just fine with me, I actually like the ip I got since it's lesser octets.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by bluepoint:

I actually like the ip I got since it's lesser octets.

Some folks in Rhode Island get weak-kneed when someone has a lower number license plate than they do, usually because you have to be connected to get one of those.

Someone I know turned down a $10,000 offer to trade in her general circulation plate 84. She got it from her father before he passed away.

It used to be easier to get 1 letter and 3 digits, or 5 digits, before RI changed the numbering system. Of course you can still get a vanity plate but they cost extra.

Back on topic, geolocation by IP has always been subject to errors. Some FiOS subscribers were located in Canada until the geolocation database got fixed. It was a real problem when they tried to access Netflix or other service that was restricted based on geography.

Bob99

join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by birdfeedr:

Some folks in Rhode Island get weak-kneed when someone has a lower number license plate than they do, usually because you have to be connected to get one of those.

Someone I know turned down a $10,000 offer to trade in her general circulation plate 84. She got it from her father before he passed away.

It used to be easier to get 1 letter and 3 digits, or 5 digits, before RI changed the numbering system. Of course you can still get a vanity plate but they cost extra.

Years ago everyone in Rhode Island automatically got their first and last initials on their license plate. My wife's relatives who lived there said the state could do that because the population was so small. From what you said, it sounds like they don't do that anymore.