Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

[Equipment] What does RCN mean by "no split at all"?

The following statement is in RCN documentation:
Ensuring your cable modem is on the earliest split (coming from outside your home) or no split at all helps ensure your modem works at it"s best.

Right now I have the Point of Entry coming into a Quad splitter, with 2 TIVO boxes, 1 Motorola Set top Box, and 1 Cable Modem off the splitter.

What does the RCN documentation mean by "no split at all"? Since the modem does not have an output coaxial port, you must have at least one split or you won't have any television at all.

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

Re: [Equipment] What does RCN mean by "no split at all"

There's no splitter in any of the setup you show, but boy is that picture confusing and doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand how the cable comes in, then out to the cable modem, then the modem feeds the router/switch/hub, and then the moca bridge gains the internet connection. Seems pretty confusing, is this a RCN image? It just doesn't' seem right for me.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to Pacomartin
said by Pacomartin:

Since the modem does not have an output coaxial port, you must have at least one split or you won't have any television at all.

Exactly. I do not have TV service so I do not have a splitter.

/M

alanisrox69

join:2005-03-29
LHV, PA
reply to Pacomartin
This is for MoCA, like what FiOS uses. The MoCA network adapter (which on FiOS is built into the router -- so it's not separate like in the picture above) allows the STB's to get guide data and PPV via the internet and also talk to each other across coax (multi room dvr)
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to shadyman777
said by shadyman777:

There's no splitter in any of the setup you show...Seems pretty confusing, is this a RCN image?

The image is from the TiVo website. I cannot find a wiring diagram on the RCN website. If you have TiVo the diagram is the way the cable is wired in your house. The line that says "to cable outlet" has to be split somewhere from the "point of entry" since there is no "out" from the diagram.

It is confusing, because the port labelled "to TV/STB Out" actually goes to the cable modem.

But as far as I can see, the only way to have "no splits" in your home after the "point of entry" is to have internet and phone service only. If you have a TV, you must split at least once.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
What part dont you understand? You are applying general instructions for modems to images of setting up Moca?

rogerspark

@rcn.com
reply to Pacomartin
If your service is functioning then don't obsess over what it means. It's exactly how it sounds ...no splitters!

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

What part dont you understand? You are applying general instructions for modems to images of setting up Moca?

I just showed the MoCa because the adapter has a coaxial in and a coaxial out. The cable modem has only a coaxial in.

Unless there is another kind of cable modem, the only way not to have a splitter is to have internet service only. Once you want to include even a single TV you must have a splitter somewhere after point of entry.