how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hyelton

join:2008-02-29
Rutherfordton, NC

Ethernet Cable Recomendation

So I moved some things around and My Coaxial cable that goes to my cable modem is a direct line to the power line as I wanted it direct, well anyways the way I moved things around the cable line wouldnt reach the modem so I had to use a coupler with a lower end cable as a temp solution, I really didnt want to rerun a entire new Coaxial cable, SO i was looking for a really good ethernet cable I could run. Would a 20 or 25ft cable hurt the Ping or performance any of my connection? Compared to my current CAT5e 3ft Ethernet cable going from the modem to the router?

I was thinking about this one - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···12119332

if you have any other recomendation please let it be on NewEgg as I get 2 day shipping.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
With coaxial cable, the longer the run, the worse the signal gets—so I would definitely have a short coaxial run, with less or no couplers, and a longer Ethernet run. With Ethernet you will have zero issues (no PING or performances issues) so long as the run is less than ~100 meters.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to hyelton
said by hyelton:

I was thinking about this one - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···12119332

if you have any other recomendation please let it be on NewEgg as I get 2 day shipping.

Newegg is selling you snakeoil there, because CAT7 doesn't exist.
Any good Cat 5e cable would work just as well, you might already have some of it laying around somewhere.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

hyelton

Rutherfordton, NC
Are you sure its fake?
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_7···_F_cable

Yea I have some laying around but only a few 50 footers which are too long I need between a 15-20ft for the modem to the router.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
50 Foot will work fine for now, Ethernet cables can be up to 328 ft long.

No matter, 25 or 50 feet won't make a difference in throughput or latency, so just coil up the extra and use the 50 footer for now.

And yes CAT 7 isn't an approved specification, so someone selling you CAT 7 might as well be calling CAT 12 or CAT 53, because anything beyond CAT 6a is still undefined at this point.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

hyelton

Rutherfordton, NC
But should the CAT7 be fine? I`m gonna use the 50ft til the shorter CAT7 comes. Should the CAT7 be as good as CAT6? The 50ft cable I have is only cat5 not cat5e.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
For that short length, CAT 5 should be good enough for even Gigabit Ethernet, but from what I can see from the Newegg link you provided, the CAT 7 is probably just re-labeled shielded CAT6.

You should be good to go..
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

reply to hyelton
You missed the fine print:
quote:
Class F cable (or, unofficially, Category 7 cable)
In general the EIA/TIA 568 and ISO/IEC 11801 standards tracked one another. TIA for the US, IEC everywhere else.

Currently the highest TIA 568 spec is CAT 6a that supports 10G Ethernet at full rated distance of 100 meters (328 ft). EIA did not see the need to create the next generation copper cabling spec since there was no flavor of Ethernet to take advantage of it. The original idea was that cabling would be independent of the electronics. But as speeds get pushed ever higher it was found the cabling spec needed to be developed in concert with signalling used to transport the bits. Which is why we have CAT 5e and CAT 6A.

EIA/TIA is working on next generation cabling spec to support 100G Ethernet. That is raising some hackles in the industry because for the first time it is not a super set of the lower version. Some of the electrical performance specs will be lower then Class F.

Back to the matter at hand.

Cat 5e is rated for 1G Ethernet
CAT 6 is rated for 10G Ethernet for short runs
CAT 6A is rated for 10G Ethernet for full 100 meters

As long as the cable meets the speed spec it will not affect performance. Higher rated cable is a waste of money unless you have some unusual environmental considerations, unlikely in a residence.

/tom