how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

[HELP] Cisco WRVS4400N VPN

Running Win 7

I want to test my VPN client within my network to make sure when I go out roaming with my notebook to securley connect to my network via VPN. How can this be done?

I have installed QuickVPN on both the dekltop PC and the notebook and I want to test this to see if it works or not before heading out. Under the Server Address, do I have to put my router's IP like 192.168.1.1? Please see print screen.

Or, does the Server Address needs my WAN IP?

Im lost here....

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

WAN IP (or use dyndns.org or something like that) -- but don't expect it to work from inside your own network. You can test it from a neighborhood hotspot or something like that, but not from your LAN.

slajoh01

2 edits

Ok, so it will not be my router's IP address such as 192.168.1.1 or my LAN PC IP which would be something like 192.168.1.XXX.

So its always will be my WAN IP? Correct?

I read user manual so its confusing. They stated this:

Server Address: Enter the IP address or domain name of the RV220W.

So my assumption was entering something like 192.168.1.1

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

Correct. Go to www.findmyip.com and it will tell you what to use.

(I would suggest getting a free dyndns.org account and using that, so if your router gets a new IP address while you're gone, you can still connect. That service allows you to just use "slajoh01.dyndns.org" for the destination address, and it stays updated with your current IP automatically. Some routers have this functionality built in, if not you can run a small app on your computer to keep things updated).

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:16
reply to slajoh01

Second jester121 See Profile to use the WAN ip address from OUTSIDE of your own internal LAN. Wierd(er) things
have happened when trying this from inside your network.

Regards

slajoh01

reply to jester121

Its actually findmyip.org

Thanks!!! So whenever Im at a hotel or a coffee shop, I need to use the WAN IP from findmyip.org to securely access my home network. Am I correct?

Do I need to open some ports on my router or on my Win7 firewall?

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

said by slajoh01:

Its actually findmyip.org

Sorry, I have a few I use and frequently mix them up.

So whenever Im at a hotel or a coffee shop, I need to use the WAN IP from findmyip.org to securely access my home network. Am I correct?

No.

The highlighted space in your OP is for your destination -- basically think of it as your home phone number, that you'll be calling from the road. In order to find out what that number will be, you need to know your home network's WAN IP address, using that website. Otherwise you wouldn't know what to type into the Cisco VPN window when you're on the road, right?

Do I need to open some ports on my router or on my Win7 firewall?

For sure. You'll need to dig around Cisco's docs for that info.

slajoh01

No no no...My fault.

I meant before I head out to a public Wifi, first I would find out my WAN IP using findmyip.org (here within my network) and make a note of it, and then use that to add in it the Server Address field entry when in a hotel or other public place.

Sorry for the confusion.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

Yep, that's correct.