how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

annimossity

join:2008-01-21
Galt, CA

Best Location for a home network?

Just bought a new house and while everything is out I'd like to install some cat 5 drops in each room. The point of presence is in the garage via cable\comcast. I plan to have a panduit patch panel, Cable modem, Netgear Router and a 24 port Cisco 3650 switch in an APC cabinet located in there as well. My question is should I place this setup inside the house or is it ok to install in the garage?

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

2 recommendations

Electronics are usually happier in insulated spaces. That said, I live in a desert climate (heat up to 110 in the summer) and my house was built with its convergence point in the garage. So, that's where my modem and router went. I never had any failures.

The master closet is what builders seem to go for these days. That's where I'd probably put it, if I had an option. You obviously want to pick a place that has a power plug, though.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to annimossity
That switch can take a little heat, so it should be find in the garage. Not sure about the modem, but I would think so. The Netgear would be my concern. They tend to have rather poor cooling to begin with. If it is a wireless model, you might want to get it located somewhere central to the house for coverage reasons. So since you are running line drops anyway, just run 2 to wherever you want it. (1 in from the modem, 1 out to the switch)

All of that said, I always prefer the gear in a closet in air conditioned space. Electronics will see a reduced life running at higher temps.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to annimossity
I would never put any electronics like this in a garage. They are better off in an air conditioned space. Would you run your car without coolant?

join:2013-07-08
MA
reply to annimossity
It's not ideal to keep stuff in the garage but people store cans of combustible materials like gas in garages so electronics isn't the end of the world. It's not remotely the same as running a car without coolant as someone say. It's more like running your car without A/C or a sound system. It works but it's not ideal.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

2 recommendations

reply to nyrrule27
said by nyrrule27:

I would never put any electronics like this in a garage. They are better off in an air conditioned space. Would you run your car without coolant?

Can you help me find a water pump for a '68 VW Beetle?

join:2013-07-08
MA

1 recommendation

said by mob:

said by nyrrule27:

Can you help me find a water pump for a '68 VW Beetle?

My '98 Porsche 911 needs one as well.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to annimossity
Your listed city (Galt, CA) shows as being in the middle of CA so it likely isn't going to be as hot as LA but not as cool as a farther north city. Just how hot does it get there, or more specifically, how hot does it get in the garage?

My suggestion is to look at where existing services enter and consider that space. You said this was the garage for you. At the house I grew up in, it was the stairwell to the basement. At the house I'm in now there wasn't coax or network run so I got to pick the location.

As mentioned, you could put most devices there in the garage and they would probably be just fine. Your wireless (if you have it) may or may not want to be there depending on signal coverage patterns. That's something you may just have to test and see.

Where would you place it in the house? Is this APC cabinet a full size ~42U enclosure or a smaller possibly wall mounted one? I looked at putting everything in my closet, either just up on a shelf or in a wall mount cabinet. My desk is/was going mostly in the center of the house (more so than the on one end of the house like the room anyway) so I planned on having the wireless there anyway. In the end I decided to just put the switch under my desk using it's rack ears and ran the cables there since it's a more central point, it meant I didn't have any extra long runs either (not that I'd be exceeding any length limits though)

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to annimossity
If you have a basement, I would highly recommend you move keep all the hardware there. Basements are naturally a few degrees below outside temperature and provide economically free cooling environment for network hardware. You can always run a CAT6/5 cable from the outside down in the basement (somehow) and then make that as the central point of your entire house network. To add to this, you will not be able to hear equipment fan noise as its in the basement.

Keeping network hardware is not a good idea. First the heat generated by the hardware itself plus the outside heat can basically keep the hardware are a constant high temperature environment and thus shortening the lifespan of the equipment. Secondly constant change in outside humidity will have more adverse effects on the hardware.
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to annimossity
Glad you started this thread as I'm in the process of buying a home and want to do the exact same thing.
I didn't want to have everything terminating in the office, but I think that might be my only choice. The garage will definitely get too hot. The attic as well. I considered making a shelf or even mounting everything on a piece of plywood and putting it in the utility room, but don't know if that's ideal either.

As we haven't purchased the house yet, I'm only going off what I know as far as current drops for cable and such.
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
The utility room would be a nice compromise between the garage/attic and the office. I'd still prefer the office if you don't have a LOT of equipment to deal with as it just makes it easier if you don't have to go to another room to troubleshoot something. It also cuts down on some cable runs potentially as any device in the same area as the switch doesn't need a cable run, just a patch cable.

The only concerns I can think of off the top of my head are the washer/dryer or water heater if they're in the utility room too. The dryer for the lint generation (might want to vacuum out all the equipment regularly), and the washer/water heat for the possible water leak. Yes the dryer will generate heat but even that factored in isn't as bad as the garage/attic in my experience.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to annimossity
Consider that you may want to have the router and modem powered by your UPS. That could play a factor in choosing a location.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
reply to annimossity
I'm having a house built and the installer is putting the panel in the laundry room. It is also adjacent to a linen closet and I had them put a few jacks in there along with power.
--
This Space for Rent...

Remington

join:2000-09-29
North Vernon, IN
reply to annimossity
Also consider that you will have to reset your router or modem at some point and will want it easily accessible. I have DSL and have to reset my modem every 4-8 weeks.

SteelersFan

join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to annimossity
You might want to have them in different spots too. I have my router at an accessible centralized location in my house and a switch upstairs in the attic. It works well since you really only need one line run from the router to the switch to get things moving.

annimossity

join:2008-01-21
Galt, CA
Been thinking of that, will keep that in mind.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to annimossity
said by annimossity:

My question is should I place this setup inside the house or is it ok to install in the garage?

Typical networking equipment is officially rated for only 0C to +45C (32F to 122F) but many equipment appears to work beyond those limits.

If you want to install in a garage, put everything inside a roomy enclosure. The switch should go on top rack because it generates the most heat. You can put a small PC fan with screen on the roof of the enclosure to draw hot air out.

If you suspect the modem or router is misbehaving on very hot days ... place a 36C-40C range PCM pouch just above them, but below the switch.

This thread has more info: »Cooling ideas for hot summers

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

reply to annimossity
I put my rack in my basement. Nice and cool down there and out of sight so no one sees it. Plus the fans on my UPS are kind of loud. I don't mind it down there because I never hear the fans. If you're in a part of California that gets hot in the summer, and your garage isn't insulated, I suggest you don't place it in there. In Ohio in the summer my garage is attached and doesn't get A/C service. It gets hot in there at times.. especially after parking my car which is cooling off inside the garage. That engine heat has to go somewhere.

All the cable runs were easy to do as I just had to drill through the floor at the wall they came up at. Second floor runs all go through my closet down to the basement as it was the only clear pathway unless I wanted to take down some drywall which I didn't.

Here is a pic of my rack (no not my wife's rack):

»users.wowway.com/~jmanko/rack5.jpg

It's mounted to some stairs that go into my kitchen.

Cable Gateway, Netgear Gigabit 16 port Switch, 24 port cat5e patch panel, 24 port coax patch panel, PoE Injector for my wireless AP that's mounted to my bedroom hallway ceiling. The shelf has my UPS and my Dell Mini 10 laptop that I'm using for torrent downloads. I don't mind keeping it on 24 hours a day because it only pulls 12 watts of power.

Also mounted a light overhead so I can see the rack when needed. Installed a smoke detector on top just in case anything blows up. And finally mounted a grounding bar clamped to my cold water pipe and grounded my rack and my coax surge protector that is mounted on the left side.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to annimossity
Inside the house would be better, but unless it gets very hot in your garage (insulate it!) it should be OK in the garage, too.
But you also need to take wiring into consideration -- where would be easier and quicker, etc. If you have a wireless access point, you definitely want that one inside the house in a central location.

BTW, I have a good friend in Lodi.
--
Wacky Races 2012!