uniqs
share rss forum feed

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

Dealing with Office 365's issues...

So I've been reading other threads here about this (mainly »Migration Time..!! Office365 / Google Apps) but didn't want to post this in there as I feel it's something that needs it's own thread.

I've already migrated over to O365 for my users (all 4 of us at this point LOL) and am honestly regretting this move already and it's only been a few months tops. We're having the same "can't connect" type issues everyone else has been having since they did the tenant upgrade.

We were considered Google Apps but we wanted to go with O365 for more native Outlook/Exchange support that we had been used to. Plus the online apps were useful, though not something we are likely to use (wanted to have access to them in the event we needed them at some point).

Sadly last time I searched the MS forums for this, I read through over 20 pages of no solution and MS blaming the client and not their servers. They apparently keep doing "fixes" but nothing is actually fixing it for me (or anyone else really that I saw).

I'm wondering if anyone has found a reliable method of solving this "can't connect" issue O365 seems to be having? Will running it in a hybrid setup help (so I have local servers to connect to in the event theirs are "down" for whatever reason)?

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
We have one client of O365 and about a dozen with Intermedia. Intermedia is a bit more expensive, but there just no comparison in the quality of service and support. MS seems to be treating O365 like Hotmail, in terms of availability of support and reliability.

My advice would be to look at other hosted MS providers rather than Google Apps.

gudel
System Lord
Premium
join:2004-06-03
USA
reply to JoelC707
We'll be doing the migration soon as well.
Currently we use Off2013, just to make sure we'll be compatible and won't have any problems. The Outlook 2013 though, seems to not play nice with our current imap server. I hope this problem is gone when we switch over to the O365.
In the test accounts, it seems to be okay.
What are you using?

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
I'm running Office 2010 on most installations. I think I have some Office 2007 still. I have Office 2013 as part of MAPS but it wants 2008 R2 or Windows 7 and newer to install on and I'm still running 2008 and XP mostly. I've read that the "can't connect" issue is "mostly" limited to 2007/2010 and that 2013 doesn't experience it "as much" but I can't install it anyway so that's kinda moot for me.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to JoelC707
We have had a relatively flawless migration to Office 365. We keep track of all our downtime with Office 365 and we have recorded 6 downtime incidents and a total of 7 hours over the course of 10 months. This is a manual record that the IT team here keeps just to make sure that everything is working properly. Compared with the uptime of our old Exchange server, which was about the same over the last couple years, I would say we are much better off.

So much of Office 365 depends on your current infrastructure. Such as your connection to the internet, latency, dirsync, and so on. I really don't know how to fix the challenges you are facing. Sounds like you may want to get a consultant in there to look at all these factors and work with microsoft on a solution.

The simple fact of the matter is if you have a great infrastructure, your experience with Office 365 is going to have a greater chance of success.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to lorennerol
Yeah I've seen people recommend Appriver as well. I'm wondering though, do they run their own infrastructure or do they resell Office 365? If there are O365 resellers, I'm wondering if they are having the same issues?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by JoelC707:

Yeah I've seen people recommend Appriver as well. I'm wondering though, do they run their own infrastructure or do they resell Office 365? If there are O365 resellers, I'm wondering if they are having the same issues?

This right here.

These are resellers. There are no "private Office 365" alternatives. So if Office 365 takes a dump, they are taking a dump on every one of these resellers.
--

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to Nightfall
Ideally I wanted to move to this platform to gain higher reliability, mainly so people can maintain email access even if the rest of the system is down for some reason. Not to mention, this is cheaper than what we were paying MX Logic for spam filtering so it was a cost savings move as well.

Local infrastructure in regards to Internet is a 22/5 business class Comcast circuit and has been very stable, fast and reliable. We have noticed that things don't disappear from the outbox quickly like they used to but I attribute that to the fact that sent items now have to traverse the internet instead of just hitting the LAN and going out from the mail server.

We're not doing SSO yet, could that be part of it? Is that what you meant by dirsync or are you talking local AD?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
Yes, Dirsync as in sending local AD stuff over to Office 365. SSO could be a part of it as well. As I said before, there are so many parts to the equation. If you are having connectivity issues beyond what Office 365 is reporting as outages, it has to do with your network or connectivity. Without being there, I don't even want to guess.

Odds are a consultant who has done numerous office 365 migrations would know where to look.
--

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Hmmm, I have no integration between Office 365 and my local AD system. Accounts in Office 365 were created manually and basically exist solely in their systems. Of course if I enable SSO I'll be replicating AD info to them so maybe that's what I need to enable next. I was holding off on doing that because if we got fed up enough with Office 365 that we wanted to dump it, I didn't want to spend any time/money on SSO if it was going to get "ripped out" so to speak.

Mellow
Premium
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD
reply to JoelC707
Been running 365 for about 8 months now, the only issues I have had is my xp/outlook 2007 machines forgetting the password, I have tried every fix out there and still have the issue, I just gave the users their login/password so they can put it in when it asks for it.

When we do our upgrade of these old machines next year hopefully this issue will go away, I have not had any issues on my win8/office 2010 machine.

I am running comcast as well, same plan but with a static ip.

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to JoelC707
Have you rebuilt profiles for the users having issues connecting? Sounds dumb but one migration (that I'm still working on for other reasons that O365 issues) we had some users with that issue. Rebuilding the users Outlook profile seemed to clear up whatever was causing the issue. They also had some issues after being upgraded from 2010 services to 2013 but those have long since been resolved.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

Mellow
Premium
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD
reply to JoelC707
Yea, tried rebuilding several times and it would work fine for a week then out of the blue ask for authentication, when they put it in it will sometimes go for a day sometimes a week without asking again, odd issue.

The only other issue I had was when the upgrade happened our mobile users couldn't connect, had to disable ipv6 on their usb 4g modems.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to Badger3k
Yeah I've rebuilt the profiles and it sometimes helps. The first time I did it, it cleared up my issue for at least a full day if not more. The second time I did it, it refused to even add my account to Outlook because it couldn't contact the server.

Hell I even uninstalled Office 2010 (in the hopes of installing 2013), rebooted, and reinstalled 2010 plus ALL updates. I have one user that can send emails all day long using our in-house Exchange (different domain) and never have any issues. She sends an email from the O365 domain in outlook and it may actually crash Outlook (full on "outlook has stopped responding" notice). Now I know THAT is likely to be a client issue but that's secondary to the "can't connect to server" alerts we are getting.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to Mellow
Someone on the MS forum I was reading suggested that IPv6 may be part of the issue. I am running a HE tunnel at that location for IPv6 and have no issues connecting to anything else via IPv6. I have not disabled it as a test because the person that reported it later reported back and said that he was still having issues on those clients after all.

I also saw someone mention that using Google DNS or OpenDNS may be a cause of it but I don't see how that's possible. In any case, my firewall is pulling just the Comcast DNS addresses though obviously my clients are pointing to AD DNS and those are using forwarders to Comcast, Google, Level 3 and OpenDNS (in no specific order) in both IPv4 and IPv6 flavors.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
You mean you have Forwarders configured in Windows DNS properties? My understanding is that this is a deprecated practice, since about Server 2000. What version are you running on your AD?

I used to set up forwarders, but since a trusted expert friend clued me in I have far fewer DNS issues.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Interesting, admittedly I haven't kept up with all the best practices but this is the first I've heard of this. In fact I recall reading somewhere that you should do forwarders to help keep load off the root servers. If you think it'll help I'll certainly try it.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
said by JoelC707:

Interesting, admittedly I haven't kept up with all the best practices but this is the first I've heard of this. In fact I recall reading somewhere that you should do forwarders to help keep load off the root servers.

I'd wait for others to chime in with confirmation or explanation; it's been a while since I was really heavily engrossed in the Microsoft server OS world and I don't want give you bad advice. I was told (and have continued working on the basis) that the whole "load on the root servers" thing is an antiquated concept since they're all much more resilient these days. Haven't used forwarders since Server 2003 days, and suffered no ill effects.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to JoelC707
Really, all you are going to get from people here are just ideas. Without knowing how you setup Office 365, there are so many moving pieces and parts to consider. The main thing you have to be aware of is that while you are having issues, and others are not having the same issues, then you know its the way you have it setup. This is why its important to partner with someone who can assist with the migration and post migration support.

Its very easy to blame Microsoft. Its harder to look at your network and do a full evaluation to find issues with it.

Thats just my .02 cents.
--

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
I agree, you can't really be an impartial observer of your own network. My concern is that others are having the same basic issue (may not be the same cause mind you) and can have the issue at other locations besides their own (such as taking their laptop to a client site or connecting from home). To me that would seem to rule out the problem being on the client side but that doesn't mean it isn't something with their tenant settings or domain DNS settings (I have confirmed those on my end to be correct anyway).

For reference, this is "who" I'm referring to when I say "others": »community.office365.com/en-us/fo···141.aspx. Admittedly they are aware of this issue and are working on fixes on their end: »community.office365.com/en-us/fo···052.aspx