In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

Remove popcorn from ceiling..

I'm repainting my bathroom and I would like to remove the popcorn from the ceiling. The bathroom is two rooms, the first room has the sink, and the second room has the tub, toilet and another sink.

The second room doesn't have popcorn, but the first room, does. I would say the ceiling is about 4 x 5. Not a big area, so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I read online about using water, but I was hoping there might be a product I could purchase?
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
said by Rob:

I'm repainting my bathroom and I would like to remove the popcorn from the ceiling. The bathroom is two rooms, the first room has the sink, and the second room has the tub, toilet and another sink.

The second room doesn't have popcorn, but the first room, does. I would say the ceiling is about 4 x 5. Not a big area, so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I read online about using water, but I was hoping there might be a product I could purchase?

Typically, if it has never been painted you can just scrape it off. If it's been painted, may be easier to just re-drywall on top of it. You'd only lose 3/8" and save yourself a lot of agravation.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Thanks. It hasn't been painted over.

Re-drywall sounds like more work than anything given the small area.

I might just leave it and then repaint it.

AsherN
Premium
Thornhill, ON
unpainted popcorn is easy to scrapes off. Just messy.

Re drywalling is a single piece. You just have to tape and mud the at the walls. I did that in my basement and the result was completely worth it.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Rob
We had the popcorn ceiling removed from our old house and they used a water sprayer to remove it. It's very messy, so I'd suggest covering everything up beforehand...even if you don't use water to remove.
We are planning on removing the popcorn from the house we are in the process of buying. Not looking forward to it.
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

rich3236

join:2006-08-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to AsherN
Just buy a spray bottle and fill with water, give the ceiling a good spray and let soak for about 1/2 hour. Use large putty knife to scrape off. It will come of easy but will be a mess.

Note: They don't use primer when they popcorn so use a paint with built in primer, Kilz makes a ceiling paint with primer

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to Rob
How old is the home? You might want to have the popcorn tested for asbestos before you start disturbing it.

The reason you want to use water is to help hold the particles together.

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
reply to Rob
Popcorn ceilings are usually installed over the bare minimum tape job,meaning tape and 1 coat of mud. Plan on finish taping prior to painting if you remove it.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to Rob
Biggest mess you can possibly think of (well, short of sewage issues)... I would have told the wife to hire it out if I had known.....

AsherN
Premium
Thornhill, ON
reply to Rob
4X5, slap a new piece of drywall over it.

I've never seen popcorn ceilings in a bathroom. Certainly not painted.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

Thanks. It hasn't been painted over...I might just leave it and then repaint it.

That would be a big mistake. If it hasn't been painted then it is extremely easy to remove. Paint it and it becomes very difficult. Wet it and then scrape it. Very easy.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to brian
said by brian:

How old is the home? You might want to have the popcorn tested for asbestos before you start disturbing it.

The reason you want to use water is to help hold the particles together.

The house was built in 1994. I checked online and many sources indicate that I won't need to test for asbestos.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Icarus
said by Icarus:

Popcorn ceilings are usually installed over the bare minimum tape job,meaning tape and 1 coat of mud. Plan on finish taping prior to painting if you remove it.

A project I'm not sure if I want to tackle.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to scooper
said by scooper:

Biggest mess you can possibly think of (well, short of sewage issues)... I would have told the wife to hire it out if I had known.....

Thankfully it's a small area, so the cleanup isn't that bad since I can lay 1 tarp down on the entire area (over cabinets and flooring).
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AsherN
said by AsherN:

It's in the first part of the bathroom, where the sink is. Not in the shower area.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

said by Rob:

Thanks. It hasn't been painted over...I might just leave it and then repaint it.

That would be a big mistake. If it hasn't been painted then it is extremely easy to remove. Paint it and it becomes very difficult. Wet it and then scrape it. Very easy.

True, and then I can be finally done with it.
--

AsherN
Premium
Thornhill, ON
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

said by AsherN:

It's in the first part of the bathroom, where the sink is. Not in the shower area.

Are the 2 areas physically separated? If they are not, then it's likely the popcorn has been treated agaiunst moisture and may not be that easy to remove.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by AsherN:

said by Rob:

said by AsherN:

Are the 2 areas physically separated? If they are not, then it's likely the popcorn has been treated agaiunst moisture and may not be that easy to remove.

Yes, they are separated by a door.
--

AsherN
Premium
Thornhill, ON
said by Rob:

Yes, they are separated by a door.

OK. Then scrape away. 3 choices:

remove popcorn, redo mud and paint.
redrywal, tape, mud and paint
paint the popcorn

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Thanks for the replies. I also have a small laundry shoot that, for some reason or another, was popcorned as well. It's a 2 x 2 area, so I will go ahead and give it try there by removing the popcorn. If I do well there, I'll tackle the rest of the bathroom.
--

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Rob:

Thanks for the replies. I also have a small laundry shoot that, for some reason or another, was popcorned as well. It's a 2 x 2 area, so I will go ahead and give it try there by removing the popcorn. If I do well there, I'll tackle the rest of the bathroom.

Hey Rob, a couple years back we decided to de-popcorn the ceilings in the dining room and the living room, I tried a couple different scrapers and decided I needed something better and found this at the local LowesDepot.

Great tool for the job, it can be attached to a paint pole for additional reach and it has a couple of clips that allows you to fasten a plastic trash bag to catch a majority of what you scrape off.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rob
Click for full size
Click for full size
OK here's my attempt on my "test" area. This is a small area right above the laundry shoot.

I nicked the drywall a few times, but nothing a little mud can fix.
--

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium
join:2003-05-20
Wild West
That looks fine...

What is your plan for the finish? Are you going for a plaster look, or a stucco look? If you are going for the plaster look, lightly sand the whole area, look at your joints, retape if needed and the mud lightly and resand.

If you are going to stucco, just retape and mud, then stucco.
--
Para Bellum!!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Uhh I was going to mud, sand, prime, and paint? LOL

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium
join:2003-05-20
Wild West
So the plaster look...

In the small area, won't be much of a problem. On the larger area, give more care not to knick the drywall with the knife, as you can sand the whole area to get it down to the board. Remember, the less mud and fill you use, the better the final product will look!
--
Para Bellum!!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Yea, I plan on using a bigger putty knife. I also need to let the popcorn soak in water a little longer.

Drex
Premium
Not There
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Rob:

Yea, I plan on using a bigger putty knife. I also need to let the popcorn soak in water a little longer.

I will be taking on this task as well in the near future only mine will be for the entire house. How long did you let the water soak in?
I've heard to add a little dish soap to the water so it helps to stick to the popcorn better. Did you try this?

I know this is going to be a hugely messy job. I plan on having someone else come in and skim the ceiling, then I will paint it after...unless they give me a good quote on painting it as well.
--

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to Rob
I did a 4x5 bathroom and all I used was a spray bottle of water (added 1 drop of dish soap) a dustpan and 4" drywall knife. I covered as much as possible all fixtures and the floor, sprayed a 1'x2' area, waited a few minutes, then sprayed a second area and then scraped the first one. I held the dustpan under the knife as I scraped to catch the popcorn. I held the knife at a low angle so as not to dig into the ceiling and it just slid right off in strips. Spray, strip, repeat. Rather than scraping harder, I found I could come back after a re-spray and the reluctant spot would come right off.

To me, working over head was the hardest part of the job.
--
Obama is our Morsi.

Drex
Premium
Not There
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by DataDoc:

To me, working over head was the hardest part of the job.

I think that's going to be the toughest part of this job.
--

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Rob
I was watching one of those "flip" programs the other day and they removed the popcorn from the ceilings with a white vinger and water spray and them scraped very carefully. I'm guessing the vinegar attacked any lime in the popcorn to help break it down and soften it. They didn't mention what the mix was but I'd bet it was about 1:4, vinegar to water. Just sprayed the ceiling and waited about 15 minutes. And if you round off the corners of the scraper, you'll be less prone to gouging the wall/ceiling, resulting in less repair work. Of course, it makes the scraper/knife pretty useless for anything else.

--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!