The Hero of Time
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

shadyman777 to Pacomartin

Premium Member

to Pacomartin

Re: [Equipment] What does RCN mean by "no split at all"

There's no splitter in any of the setup you show, but boy is that picture confusing and doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand how the cable comes in, then out to the cable modem, then the modem feeds the router/switch/hub, and then the moca bridge gains the internet connection. Seems pretty confusing, is this a RCN image? It just doesn't' seem right for me.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by shadyman777:

There's no splitter in any of the setup you show...Seems pretty confusing, is this a RCN image?

The image is from the TiVo website. I cannot find a wiring diagram on the RCN website. If you have TiVo the diagram is the way the cable is wired in your house. The line that says "to cable outlet" has to be split somewhere from the "point of entry" since there is no "out" from the diagram.

It is confusing, because the port labelled "to TV/STB Out" actually goes to the cable modem.

But as far as I can see, the only way to have "no splits" in your home after the "point of entry" is to have internet and phone service only. If you have a TV, you must split at least once.

rogerspark
@rcn.com

rogerspark

Anon

If your service is functioning then don't obsess over what it means. It's exactly how it sounds ...no splitters!
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Pacomartin

Premium Member

to Pacomartin
What part dont you understand? You are applying general instructions for modems to images of setting up Moca?

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by rody_44:

What part dont you understand? You are applying general instructions for modems to images of setting up Moca?

I just showed the MoCa because the adapter has a coaxial in and a coaxial out. The cable modem has only a coaxial in.

Unless there is another kind of cable modem, the only way not to have a splitter is to have internet service only. Once you want to include even a single TV you must have a splitter somewhere after point of entry.