spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Why Does Anybody Want It?

I don't get it. Hulu's currently (mostly) owned by content providers, no? These guys are starving their own operation of content, making it relatively worthless. Which, in turn, makes it relatively unpopular. So if the content providers cannot or will not make a go of it, what makes anybody else believe they can?

What am I missing, here?

Jim
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by jseymour:

I don't get it. Hulu's currently (mostly) owned by content providers, no? These guys are starving their own operation of content, making it relatively worthless. Which, in turn, makes it relatively unpopular. So if the content providers cannot or will not make a go of it, what makes anybody else believe they can?

What am I missing, here?

Jim

Hulu is basically lip-service by the content owners to hold off criticism by consumer groups who may get the attention of the few congress critters who care about consumers.

Heaven forbid actual competition, no matter how remote a possibility it may be.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by mogamer:

Hulu is basically lip-service by the content owners to hold off criticism by consumer groups who may get the attention of the few congress critters who care about consumers.

I understand that. What I don't understand is why anybody'd want to buy it.

Jim

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
said by jseymour:

What am I missing, here?

Jim

With over a billion streams per month and 3million plus Hulu Plus (paid) subscribers I don't think unpopular is the correct classification.
it's just a different way to package the cheap rerun content instead of Cable or an OTA provider.
It was never intended to disrupt or replace the OTA and CATV channels, but for some reason Karl seems amazed that it hasn't at every story. I don't see the current contract providers necessarily blocking Hulu from continuing to buy content, but the market price may be higher
Last time Hulu considered going public they were worth $2+ billion

It will be interesting to see how it actually gets priced at this go round.