Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jackal2001

join:2002-10-04
Bethlehem, PA

1 edit

[Connectivity] Drop Outs HSI & VOIP - Freemansburg, PA

I've been having constant drop outs for internet connectivity both VOIP and Cable Modem for about 6 Months at least. It happens at least 3 times a week that I notice it.
Most of the time by the time I notice it, I play around with power cycling everything and then it will come back within a few minutes.
I've had a tech visit and he stated that "he feels confident that there is nothing wrong with the wiring in my house". Wiring goes from the outside to my office to a splitter. One side of the splitter goes to my own Docsis 3 cable modem. The other side of the splitter goes to the RCN owned VOIP modem.
When I have the internet go down, I check and sure enough the VOIP modem is dead or drops the call immediately after I make it. So the problem is not my cable modem as the voip modem also has problems and the splitter is between them.

SO I called again while they were both down and she stated there was a 24% packet loss going to my cable modem and 4% packet loss going to my VOIP modem. She tried to power cycle it on her end which didn't do anything. A few more minutes of waiting and then deciding to power cycle my cable modem, it eventually came back up. Just luck of timing it came back? Beats me. The VOIP modem which I didn't touch at all during this also started working.

I'm hoping someone here can look on the switch stack end of things before the tech comes back on on the 13th.

Encoded Mac: b9438ae60f312149e1df4155cbe32257c5fa39c6
Transmit Power: 35
Forward Power: 7
Forward SNR 38.2

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Re: [Connectivity] Constant Drop Outs Internet and VOIP

said by jackal2001:

Transmit Power: 35
Forward Power: 7
Forward SNR 38.2

I am also in Bethlehem and I have
Transmit Power: 32
Forward Power: -1
Forward SNR 37.7

But your numbers are within spec.

What model is the RCN modem?

jackal2001

Bethlehem, PA
My own cable modem:
Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB6120-1.0.2.4-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Nov 24 2009 19:46:23

ARRIS RCN voip modem

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
As far as I know, Arris does make a piece of equipment that is strictly for VOIP. They sell "telephony modems" that permit internet connection and up to 2 or 4 telephone lines over VOIP.

The model that RCN supplied to me is ARRIS TM602G/115 which is a DOCSIS 2.0 and up to two telephone lines.

It sounds like you have two cable modems on the same line. I don't know if the ARRIS is deactivated, or if they are interfering with each other.

If the RCN ARRIS modem is operating, maybe you can disconnect your modem and try running the system on just their modem.

I believe that RCN uses TM602, TM722, TM802 and other models. Do you know which one is on your system?

Also, is your coax plugged in somewhere? They have small devices that can power your coax.

jackal2001

Bethlehem, PA

1 edit
TM602G/P2/NA-8

There are no signal boosters if that is what you are referring to. Strait coax to a crappy coax splitter.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

2 edits
»www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_···_web.pdf

The Arris Modem is DOCSIS 2.0 which presumably means you have 25 Mbps service and not 50 or 75 Mbps.

Try using just the Arris Modem. You will at the very least take out one split. You must plug your router into the Arris modem, or your ethernet cable. That may or may not be difficult depending on your home layout.
=========
Also, do you have anything like this photo in your setup

The reason I ask, is one tech plugged in my coax system, and another tech said that it overboosted the signal (which could cause a problem). He removed it. Your reading of +7 dB when it should ideally be zero might indicate that you have too much signal.

If you do have such a connection, try unplugging the DC and checking the signal again on »pa.speedtest.rcn.net/ to see if it is closer to zero.

If you have an "inline" connector you can replace the splitter, but it is not absolutely necessary.

jackal2001

Bethlehem, PA
I have 75MB service so taking out my Moto 6120 is not an option.
No I do not have a powered splitter.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
said by jackal2001:

I have 75MB service .

OK, I am almost out of ideas. Do you have TiVo?

jackal2001

Bethlehem, PA
LOL. I have DirectTV.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
said by jackal2001:

LOL. I have DirectTV.

Just out of curiousity, when you click on this link which modem shows up? »192.168.100.1/

Well, a few people have noted that +7 dB is a little hot for some modems. I would check it a few times and see if there is any variation in this metric.

Maybe you can try an experiment where you remove the splitter and see what you get for a reading.

DOCSIS specifications require cable modems to function correctly with downstream power levels in the range of -15 dBmV to +15 dBmV. Power readings at or close to those extremes could be problematic and cause poor cable modem performance. However, when connected to a real-life cable TV network, a cable modem might only function over a narrower range. Some tech say ideally it should be within -3 dBmV to +6 dBmV.

But since your coaxial is not plugged in, it is difficult to imagine how to bring down the signal level.

jackal2001

Bethlehem, PA
When I hit that IP it goes to my Surfboard Modem.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
Presumably that IP gives you the same value you got from speedtest
Transmit (Upstream) Power: 35 dBmV
Forward (Downstream) Power: 7 dBmV
Forward SNR 38.2 dB

Try disconnecting the splitter to your Arris telephony modem, and see how these numbers change.

jackal2001

Bethlehem, PA
measured signals again with voip hooked up.

disconnected the coax from the back of the voip modem and measured signals again. no change. stayed exactly the same.
I only disconnected from the back of the voip and left the splitter in place.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
I checked with my brother who also has RCN internet (but no television) and lives in Bethlehem, and his modem is even hotter.
Receive Power Level 9.8 dBmV
Transmit Power Level 36.2 dBmV
===============
He never has problems, so I don't know what to tell you. The DOCSIS specification is +/- 15 dBmV, but I was told that some modems are more sensitive than others to a hot line.

Ideally the receive power level should be 0 dBmV .

The only other advice is to move radio transmitters, mobile phones, and such away from the modem. Also if you have air conditioner or dehumidifier or anything that cycles try not to plug it into the same circuit as your modem is plugged into. Printers, computers, monitors and small office equipment shouldn't be a problem.

jackal2001

Bethlehem, PA
Just a follow up after tech stopped by again.
He put a 6db attenuator attached to my cable modem to drop my forward power down to 2db now.

He called in to check history since I told him my modem dropped out again. They did a history for the week and found that my SNR was at 23db some days, so they are going to send a line guy out to check the pedistals now.

My signals now are:

Just need to wait for the guys to check the hardware at the pedistals now.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
said by jackal2001:

They did a history for the week and found that my SNR was at 23db some days, so they are going to send a line guy out to check the pedestals now.

That is pretty low. I don't think it should go below 30-32 dB.

jackal2001

Bethlehem, PA

1 edit
I called back and they said whoever they talked to didn't know what they were talking about and there was nothing ever found on my lines. They stated there was no degration of SNR so no one came out to look at anything.
So far nothing has been done or found to be the issue.

By the way, I'm actually in Freemansburg on the edge of Bethlehem.