Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to jfleni

Re: Verizon refusal

I can't claim to know anything about #2... but #1 is just not feasible. When those 'backhaul' fibers were installed, there was no consideration for FIOS at all. The cables simply don't have the capacity. They generally leave the CO as a 216 (216 individual fibers) out to a business area and break down further as they go... with smaller branches breaking off. They don't just feed cell sites, they also feed banks, libraries, post offices, schools, grocery stores, etc. and are therefore generally routed to business districts. There is very little spare fiber in those cables.

FIOS, on the other hand, was designed from the get-go to blanket an area. They leave the CO as 432's and the topology is very different. The FIOS LGX frames were built to be separate from the old LGX and you can't cross connect between the two.

It is a fair idea but simply wouldn't work.

jfleni

@bhn.net
I cannot agree or disagree with your knowledge of the network infrastructure, but that is not the point.

Verizon will either provide what customers want and need, or the politicians will abandon their constituents to take more bribes. That's it in a nutshell.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
said by jfleni :

I cannot agree or disagree with your knowledge of the network infrastructure, but that is not the point.

Verizon will either provide what customers want and need, or the politicians will abandon their constituents to take more bribes. That's it in a nutshell.

I think the current state of politics in the US proves that politicians find it more lucrative to cater to business rather than constituents.