share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to John Galt

Re: Appx. hours of labor?

Don't they sell PoE equipment that I can just plug the ethernet cable into the camera, and then plug the other end into the POE device? I haven't read about PoE in years but I remember some wires in a cat 5 can be used as power, which is especially useful in an environment that has no electricity readily available. Or does that box you linked do the same thing? Or do I have to manually cut the cables, etc.?

I've made cat 5 cables back in college, but I'd have to buy the equipment to add the connectors or whatever is needed. It's been awhile. I have no tested either.

If I don't need my box replaced, and I just need caulk, what exactly should I ask for? Places might give free estimates, but I'm sure they *all* will say to replace the box, even if it's not needed.

$1200 seems the going rate around here for a new panel as per Angie's List reviews for a few local companies.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

This will handle your PoE power:

»www.monoprice.com/products/produ···format=2

You can buy anything you'd need in terms of cabling from the same place. They're a great source for this stuff. Just get premade cables for whatever lengths you need. They have outdoor-rated cable as well. It should be really easy to get it going.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 edit

So will it basically be this:
Camera -> ethernet cable -> POE device -> wall outlet in convenient spot of my choosing?

Then the rest can be wireless or plug another ethernet cable into that box which would then connect to my router?

Do all outdoor cameras with ethernet/802.11g capabilities have the capability for PoE?

A lot of cameras I looked at have wired ethernet capabilities, and they also have DC power. Would the DC adapter just not be used?

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

No. Buy an outdoor rated camera with poe capability.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Any recommendations?

Is this PoE?
»www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-SC···cnc+3605

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Buy an outdoor rated camera with poe capability.

Do you have any recommendations (brand/model) for outdoor poe cameras ?

At the local electronic store I see a large variety of security cameras that vary in price and features (consumer grade) but nothing that looks like quality products until you get to the $500 and above price range (for a single camera!).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to fartness

Apparently not
said by Product Description :

The required 12 VDC / 1A power is supplied by the included international standard 100-240V AC adapter.

--

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

Any recommendations?

Is this PoE?
»www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-SC···cnc+3605

Use this:

»www.amazon.com/AIR802-POEPASS-01···03DLJNWE
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to fartness

Here's a PoE version. What are you wanting to watch? If you are just starting out building a system, I'd get some cheapass Foscam cameras first. They can always be moved to cover other areas later.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

I want one in my front yard and one in my back yard. Would I buy a PoE adapter for each camera I buy? I want to record either to a card on the device (it will be high enough) and/or to a DVR either in my house and/or remotely.

PS. I don't see a link.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Foscam is a manufacturer and some of their products have POE.
--

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

This says it's an indoor camera, but I thought the night vision is useless behind glass?
»www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W-Ne···+outdoor

What's a decent foscam to buy? I had one in my bookmarks, amongst the hundreds of other things in there.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

You want an outdoor camera if it is going to be outdoors and one that has POE if you want that feature. Something like this perhaps

»www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8905E-Et···08PEUNUU

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

The camera robbin See Profile linked to has the same model number that I just ordered but appears to have a different lens. The difference is either a 4mm lens with 42 degree viewing angle (which is what I ordered) or the 6mm lens with 25 degree viewing angle.
--

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

You want an outdoor camera if it is going to be outdoors and one that has POE if you want that feature. Something like this perhaps

»www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8905E-Et···08PEUNUU

That looks decent, I'll buy one for front, and one for detached garage (back). If the range isn't good enough, I'll buy a third to put on the rear of the house. At least everything I care about will be covered.

So if I buy 3 cameras, I need three of these?

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

Check the angle of view for your mounting locations before deciding on a certain camera. You may need a different lens.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

How? I don't understand the difference that leibold posted.

Is that camera you linked 802.11g also? I see a wireless antenna on it but no mention of it. Can I power it with PoE and then connect and record using 802.11g?

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

You have to look at the degrees of viewing angle. That tells you how wide angle or telephoto the camera is. Absolutely no reason to power with POE and then use wireless. You have already run the wire -- use it. Wired is always better that wireless.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

So if I buy 3 cameras, I need three of these?

Depends. Three of those would certainly work. That may be the way to if you have cameras on opposite ends of the house and don't want to run dedicated Ethernet cables over the full length of the home.

However if you bring the Ethernet cable from each of those cameras to the same place in the home then you can use a single POE switch instead (I have an 8-port switch where 4 ports are POE enabled).
--

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

How? I don't understand the difference that leibold posted.

Most security cameras are fixed focus, meaning that they don't have a zoom lens that would let you zoom out (wide angle) to see the whole width of your property and then zoom in to get a good look at that suspicious guy standing at the edge of the driveway. While there is digital zoom that can partially make up for the lack of an optical zoom lens, the resolution of those cameras isn't high enough to get any detail when zooming in.

For an inexpensive fixed focus security camera it is therefore important to select a model with the right viewing angle: wide angle gives more coverage of the property but less detail and typically less useful distance while a tele lens will provide greater detail even at longer distances while omitting things that are outside of the narrower viewing angle).

If you find it difficult to make the choice between zoom lens and wide angle lens, you can pick a model that does have a zoom lens (those do tend to cost more then a fixed focus lens). If you do get a zoom lens it also makes sense to get a pan and tilt mount for the camera so that you can direct the camera where to point when you zoom in (the combination of Pan, Tilt and Zoom features in a security camera is often indicated with the abbreviation PTZ).
--

nokiatech

join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL
reply to John Galt

That is brilliant. How have I not seen these before?

Expand your moderator at work