uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

[OT] Yellow taxis

Last time I was in NYC, I took a taxi on a weekend night with some friends from Grand Central to around NYU and it was $25. Seemed high.

I was in NYC over the weekend and took a taxi cab from northern part of Chinatown to Times Square for $11. Then took one from Staten Island Ferry (Manhattan dropoff) to Little Italy and it was $8 (night fare).

Few questions:
1. I was told do not use the black Lincoln Towncars. Never did in any example. Why is this? I know fares have to be negotiated, so why do people even use them anyway?
2. How often do the yellow cabs have juiced meters?
3. I noticed each time, when the taxi cab would stop, it would show the total (ex. $10.50 with a .50 under it or $7 with a $1 under it at night) and I'd ask "how much" and it would add that lower number. Are they ripping me off? Do I pay the fare that is on the meter when the taxi stops, or when they hit a button? I think they hit the button to stop it, then I asked how much, then they hit another button and the total went up. There was a pause in between as if they expected me to know what to pay, so they probably figured I wasn't from around there.
4. What's the minimum fare I can pay if I just want to go a short distance?
5. How do the night fees work? Is it 50 cents extra per mile, or just 50 cents added to the base fee? What time do they start?
6. With my own vehicle, is it free parking in NYC after 6pm on Saturdays, and free parking anytime on Sunday?
7. What percent do you normally tip?

Taxi actually seemed cheap this time compared to subway with a group of 4. 4 people would have been $10 and would have taken a lot longer. I have no clue why the fare was so expensive the first time I used a taxi (first paragraph example).

Traffic was very light this weekend, I drove around most of the time after I picked my car back up. Lighter traffic than the city I live in! Traffic never seems too bad on Saturdays though when I usually go.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
Last time I took a cab from West Houston St to E 92nd St I think it was about $20 on the meter and I gave him a $5 tip but rates have gone up since then. When I've taken a private car service from Astoria to "Manhattan" I think the quoted rate is around $20 and I give the driver $25.

Here are the rates from the TLC.

»www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passen ··· te.shtml

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to fartness
1) It's technically illegal. The black cars are not supposed to pickup passengers.
3) All cabs have a nice screen in the back that shows you how much to pay. It's connected to the meter. The fact that the adjustment is added is correct. Those are the night fee, or weekend fee or whatever fee applies at that time. You just have to make sure that it's the correct fee that's being listed
4) There is an initial boarding fee plus the adjustment, so even if the cab doesn't move at all you are on the hook for $3.00 if I remember correctly
5) base fee
6) Parking is free on Sunday, but you still have to observe the no parking / standing laws (unless they are also timed)

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to fartness
said by fartness:

1. I was told do not use the black Lincoln Towncars. Never did in any example. Why is this? I know fares have to be negotiated, so why do people even use them anyway?

- The 'towncars' (which are in numerous colors) are generically called 'Gypsy Cabs'. They are now allowed to pick up street hails in the outer boroughs and I believe above 90th St in Manhattan. They are also radio (and computer) dispatched if you call them on the telephone or even internet. Technically they are not allowed to pick up street hails in Manhattan, but many do. You can use them if you want. They generally don't accept credit cards. You have to arrange a fare with them in advance. Often they will ask for more than a yellow medallion cab will cost. People use them mainly in the outer boroughs, where it is very hard to get a yellow medallion cab. Also, many are hired car service; to & from the airports; or from work to home for some. Some companies have pre-arranged, low rates with some of these services for their clients to use. These are sometimes much nicer cars than beat-up yellow cabs. Those are reasons why.

said by fartness:

2. How often do the yellow cabs have juiced meters?

- Probably never, anymore. The meters are all tied into the Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC) computers now. On the other hand, its New York City. There is always a new scam. The rates you described sound very accurate.

said by fartness:

3. I noticed each time, when the taxi cab would stop, it would show the total (ex. $10.50 with a .50 under it or $7 with a $1 under it at night) and I'd ask "how much" and it would add that lower number. Are they ripping me off? Do I pay the fare that is on the meter when the taxi stops, or when they hit a button? I think they hit the button to stop it, then I asked how much, then they hit another button and the total went up. There was a pause in between as if they expected me to know what to pay, so they probably figured I wasn't from around there.

- The number 'under' is for 'extras'. These include luggage, night surcharge, peak hours surcharge, tolls (sometimes), etc. They are valid, but as Dodge See Profile stated, you must make sure they are charging you the correct extra. The costs are listed on a sign on the partition or near the computer. You can also check at the link Stacy See Profile posted. The one scam that has been done, is to charge riders the wrong 'extra'; or charge them an 'extra', when its not valid.

[EDIT] - There is no longer an extra fare for luggage, to my knowledge.

said by fartness:

4. What's the minimum fare I can pay if I just want to go a short distance?

- $3.00 plus any extras (i.e. night-time surcharge). That's $2.00 for getting in & $0.50 for the first 1/5th of a mile (or unit of time if stuck in traffic) & $0.50 for the greedy crooks in Albany. What I noticed recently and found odd, is that they no longer have this information posted on the outside of the passenger door of the taxi.

said by fartness:

5. How do the night fees work? Is it 50 cents extra per mile, or just 50 cents added to the base fee? What time do they start?

- Not sure when it starts or ends. Check at the link Stacy posted. Its 50 cents once for the whole trip.

said by fartness:

6. With my own vehicle, is it free parking in NYC after 6pm on Saturdays, and free parking anytime on Sunday?

- Depends on where you park. Check the street sign. And good luck finding a parking space.

said by fartness:

7. What percent do you normally tip?

- Normally from 10% to 30%. Very short rides, 30%. Long rides, 10%. I never give the cabby less than $2, unless they were very rude or didn't follow directions I gave them.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to fartness
said by fartness:

Last time I was in NYC, I took a taxi on a weekend night with some friends from Grand Central to around NYU and it was $25. Seemed high.

Gosh. The last time I took a taxi on a weekend night, I went from 21st & 11th in Manhattan to Forest Hills out in Queens. Fare, including tunnel toll and tip was $29. Things have sure changed since 1988!
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Dodge
said by Dodge:

ve to observe the no parking / standing laws (unless they are also timed)

Did not know that, thanks!