spc
uniqs

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: No one cares about you and your lies, Netflix.

said by tshirt:

said by 46436203:

Google Fiber and AT&T customers alike both get the same crappy 5 Mbps 1080p stream...

So you're saying nobody needs google fiber?

So why wouldn't you want faster internet for cheaper? Seems kind of strange to me.

I went from paying 79 bucks for 30 meg service to 70 bucks for 1,000 meg service.

What am I missing here?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Give it a couple years. You'll find you are missing your privacy, when Google fulfills their original intention of Google Fiber which people have conveniently forgotten. That is, find out the information that an ISP has on people that was previously inaccessible to Google.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by silbaco:

Give it a couple years. You'll find you are missing your privacy, when Google fulfills their original intention of Google Fiber which people have conveniently forgotten. That is, find out the information that an ISP has on people that was previously inaccessible to Google.

I don't think my previous ISP was any better.

Besides, if one is concerned with privacy ( which I am ) it can be dealt with very easily ( and free )

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

said by tshirt:

said by 46436203:

Google Fiber and AT&T customers alike both get the same crappy 5 Mbps 1080p stream...

So you're saying nobody needs google fiber?

So why wouldn't you want faster internet for cheaper? Seems kind of strange to me.

I went from paying 79 bucks for 30 meg service to 70 bucks for 1,000 meg service.

What am I missing here?

There is nothing wrong with it...if you can get it.*
My response to that poster was you can't really complain you need faster speed AND that there are not legit sources that serve faster than a 5Mbps dsl account can handle (yes I know he's got 200 kids that all want to stream something slightly different or the same thing slightly time shifted from each other )

The point being that I believe that the GoogleFiber price does not represent ALL the true costs, and that typical broadband users offered a variety of packages at different speed/ price points at real market value, won't be willing to pay for the high end, which is what influences the level of investment in broadband .
In reality broadband users today would better served with 10 times the users getting 100M service than a few getting Gig service.
even more for the 'outermost last mile' if 100 times the users got 10 Mbps rather than the very few getting one gig service.

*You are unusual in the sense that you apparently can freely move to find the speeds you want. Most people are much more tied to a fairly limited location by home, work or family obligations and have to deal with what is available within their budget at those locations.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to silbaco

to silbaco
if you dont think ATT, Verizon et all are doing that any way your kidding your self