uniqs
share rss forum feed

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to DataRiker

Re: Google Fiber

If Netflix can tell the average speeds of these ISPs, they can surely tell the average speeds and quality of any ISP. Especially when they join CDN, which many small ISPs that can, do.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
So what?

They are not going to rate every ISP in the country. I seriously doubt they are simply randomly making these results up.

And another thing. As someone who has used many ISP's both here and abroad ( South Korea, Vietnam, Kansas, Missouri, Louisiana ) I can say without a doubt Google fiber is by far the best ISP in terms of both speed and quality of service I've ever had the pleasure of using. ( COX comes a close second or third as well )

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
No doubt Google Fiber is a great quality service. I have yet to see a residential fiber service that isn't. That doesn't mean it should be ranked on the Netflix's chart. EPB is more than fast enough and has great service from what I hear. But they don't rank, despite probably having more subscribers than Google Fiber. My ISP has an extensive fiber network, is part of OpenCDN, and offers a Netflix experience no less than superb 24/7. They had more subscribers than Google Fiber when this chart started (might still) but they didn't rank. The point being, the chart is nothing but some game Netflix is playing to try to get the public mad at their ISPs. It is meaningless.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
Yes its very meaningless.

But your extrapolation is that not being on the list is bad. Which I think is very incorrect.

Netflix is obviously ranking "popular" or recognizable ISP's. Google is probably at this point one of the most talked about ISP's on the net right now. Like them or not.