fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to robbin

to robbin

Re: Appx. hours of labor?

said by robbin:

You want an outdoor camera if it is going to be outdoors and one that has POE if you want that feature. Something like this perhaps

»www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI ··· 08PEUNUU

That looks decent, I'll buy one for front, and one for detached garage (back). If the range isn't good enough, I'll buy a third to put on the rear of the house. At least everything I care about will be covered.

So if I buy 3 cameras, I need three of these?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Check the angle of view for your mounting locations before deciding on a certain camera. You may need a different lens.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

How? I don't understand the difference that leibold posted.

Is that camera you linked 802.11g also? I see a wireless antenna on it but no mention of it. Can I power it with PoE and then connect and record using 802.11g?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

You have to look at the degrees of viewing angle. That tells you how wide angle or telephoto the camera is. Absolutely no reason to power with POE and then use wireless. You have already run the wire -- use it. Wired is always better that wireless.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to fartness

MVM

to fartness
said by fartness:

So if I buy 3 cameras, I need three of these?

Depends. Three of those would certainly work. That may be the way to if you have cameras on opposite ends of the house and don't want to run dedicated Ethernet cables over the full length of the home.

However if you bring the Ethernet cable from each of those cameras to the same place in the home then you can use a single POE switch instead (I have an 8-port switch where 4 ports are POE enabled).
leibold

leibold to fartness

MVM

to fartness
said by fartness:

How? I don't understand the difference that leibold posted.

Most security cameras are fixed focus, meaning that they don't have a zoom lens that would let you zoom out (wide angle) to see the whole width of your property and then zoom in to get a good look at that suspicious guy standing at the edge of the driveway. While there is digital zoom that can partially make up for the lack of an optical zoom lens, the resolution of those cameras isn't high enough to get any detail when zooming in.

For an inexpensive fixed focus security camera it is therefore important to select a model with the right viewing angle: wide angle gives more coverage of the property but less detail and typically less useful distance while a tele lens will provide greater detail even at longer distances while omitting things that are outside of the narrower viewing angle).

If you find it difficult to make the choice between zoom lens and wide angle lens, you can pick a model that does have a zoom lens (those do tend to cost more then a fixed focus lens). If you do get a zoom lens it also makes sense to get a pan and tilt mount for the camera so that you can direct the camera where to point when you zoom in (the combination of Pan, Tilt and Zoom features in a security camera is often indicated with the abbreviation PTZ).