Philippines
kudos:1
Here we go again....

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to DarkSithPro
Intel/nVidia/AMD = FAIL!

If these vendors are going to keep the hardware closed, it is up to them to supply the drivers for Linux, not the other way around.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
I believe that the main "meat" of the AMD open source drivers in the latest Linux kernels is now provided by AMD via the firmware executables. These come with a copyright notice from AMD.

»people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/ra···E.radeon

Maybe I misunderstand.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to howardfine
said by howardfine:

If these vendors are going to keep the hardware closed, it is up to them to supply the drivers for Linux, not the other way around.

Yes, I fully agree.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 21.0

intok

join:2012-03-15
Nah, I want OSS drivers, there shouldn't be anything closed source outside of userland.

AMD has done a really good job with their drivers so far, what other company would have produced a completely new set of drivers for hardware they haven't sold in as much as 7 years on their own dime? Remember, most of the Radeon Gallium3D driver devs are on AMD payroll or are still completing their schooling and have a job already waiting for them as soon as the graduate.

While OSS GCN hardware support isn't great yet it is coming along. Currently it seems like VLIW5 based AMD hardware will give you the best results, leaving the fastest GPU for OSS drivers the HD6870.

We are also waiting on the last bits of GLSL to have full OpenGL3.3 support.
--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org

darthanubis

join:2010-01-05
Cleveland, OH
reply to DarkSithPro
gl