join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

Fallout New Vegas - The Legion are kicking my ass

I have been playing through New Vegas for the last couple days. I bought this game on sale and never touched it until Sunday. It has been a blast to play so far.

I made it all the way to Nipton where the city was destroyed. I was checking it out for a sniper that I met for an army faction. When I got there, I met some Legion soldiers that admitted that they killed everyone in the town. So, I decided to off them. It took me a couple tries, but I got them all using a grenade rifle.

Now, I haven't been attacked by all Legion troops. I wandered through an outpost with some of them and they didn't attack me. However, patrols will engage me and let me tell you that they are not pleasant. They are heavily armored and I am a sniper build so they take me out fast if I am not paying attention.

Should I restart the game from a save point and not take those scumbags out at Nipton? That will set me back a few hours, but I am considering doing so.

Is it worth doing that though? I mean, if I am going to make enemies with these clowns eventually, then it may not be worth going back. So do these guys play an integral part to the storyline or to the questline?

Finally, if I am going to keep these guys as enemies, dispatching them is going to be a pain in the ass at level 9. I am going to have to come up with a way to take on 4 of them at once.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
First, are you using NMC texture pack so the game doesn't look like DOOM?

»newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43135

The thing about Fallout is that all choices you make cause something later in the game. Every. Choice.

You could ally with the legion, be neutral, or make enemies... which I think you already did.

In Fallout, you can do anything.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by Mike:

The thing about Fallout is that all choices you make cause something later in the game. Every. Choice.

You could ally with the legion, be neutral, or make enemies... which I think you already did.

I understand that, but I am wondering if that is the right thing to do. Should I go back or should I just move forward. I have no doubt that I am going to be able to survive with these guys as enemies, but it may be a long hard road.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
said by Nightfall:

said by Mike:

I understand that, but I am wondering if that is the right thing to do. Should I go back or should I just move forward. I have no doubt that I am going to be able to survive with these guys as enemies, but it may be a long hard road.

If you are liking your build, then keep chugging along. There is no "right" path, other than the one you deem for your character. My recommendation? Try bumping up your perception and/or pick up ED-E (the latter is probably the better option for you) when you can to help with spotting enemies from further away, which is what really makes a sniper build work.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by Goggalor:

said by Nightfall:

said by Mike:

If you are liking your build, then keep chugging along. There is no "right" path, other than the one you deem for your character. My recommendation? Try bumping up your perception and/or pick up ED-E (the latter is probably the better option for you) when you can to help with spotting enemies from further away, which is what really makes a sniper build work.

My perception is at a 7 right now. Those legion screwballs can see me coming from a long ways away. They love to charge and attack me, usually 4 on 1 which isn't a very fun gangbang. I need a more powerful gun as well. Using a service rifle is nice, but I need something with more punch. Especially when I have 4 of those tards on me at a time.

I am going to move onward, and I have decided I am going to make it my mission in life in Fallout New Vegas to eradicate every Legion scumbag in the game.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Goggalor
It's been a while since I played it... but pretty much the above. There's no right path, and there's no 'not pissing someone off', unless you ignore every person in the game and do absolutely nothing.

The whole game is about factions, so you'll always have someone that'll hate you or want you dead... and overall, I found all the factions to be more or less balanced between each other.

But if one faction is being too hard though, maybe try and go elsewhere for a bit until you get better equipment and level up before returning.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to Nightfall
When you have some time, do a search for FO:NV Gobi Campaign Sniper Rifle or something to that effect. You will thank me later.

Edit: It's actually the Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle. You will love that weapon.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to ekster
I understand there is no right path, but there are factions that are worth standing behind more than others. As I said though, I made my decision. Going to just blow those Legion assholes to kingdom come. I have read there is a main Legion camp in the game as well. I am going to eradicate that encampment eventually when I stumble on it.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

When you have some time, do a search for FO:NV Gobi Campaign Sniper Rifle or something to that effect. You will thank me later.

Sigh...

»fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gobi_Camp···ut_rifle

Strength required is 6. My strength is a 4.

Looks like its time for implant and intense training.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
said by Nightfall:

said by Goggalor:

Sigh...

»fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gobi_Camp···ut_rifle

Strength required is 6. My strength is a 4.

Looks like its time for implant and intense training.

There is a perk that lowers the strength requirements of weapons by 2, though, I do not remember the prerequisites.

Edit: The perk is called Weapon Handling, but you are not able to get it until level 16.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
I think its called Weapon Handling. I will look into that as well.

Thanks everyone! Glad to know I didn't screw myself over killing these tards. I just thought after they wasted the town of Nipton, they were scum and deserved to die.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
said by Nightfall:

Thanks everyone! Glad to know I didn't screw myself over killing these tards. I just thought after they wasted the town of Nipton, they were scum and deserved to die.

More than likely, a good majority of players decided to take out the Legion (I know that I did).
--
From Psychonauts -
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Out of curiosity, since your STR is pretty low, did you go for mostly an agile sneak build or something else?

Err, that question is for Nightfall, not Gogg...

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to Nightfall
Not really on topic, but I also picked up NV during a Steam sale and have barely touched it. I'm trying to get through as many games in my backlog as possible this summer, this thread just bumped New Vegas up to the top of the list!
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

Out of curiosity, since your STR is pretty low, did you go for mostly an agile sneak build or something else?

I would hope that he did, if he's going sniper.

I think I went something like this for my character:

S - 3
P - 6
E - 3
C - 4
I - 7
A - 6
L - 5
--
From Psychonauts -
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
I can't remember the stats I picked, but I remember one play through that was mostly a sneak with high CHA, INT and AGI (for good prices, good with the workbench and good sneaking). I had real trouble standing my ground in a straight fight, but I made up for it by going crazy with explosives, mines, grenades, etc. Nothing was more satisfying than to sneak up, rig everything up, throw some bomsb and then just watch the world burn, and occasionally finishing off someone with my crappy guns.

Explosive skill was fun.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
said by ekster:

I can't remember the stats I picked, but I remember one play through that was mostly a sneak with high CHA, INT and AGI (for good prices, good with the workbench and good sneaking). I had real trouble standing my ground in a straight fight, but I made up for it by going crazy with explosives, mines, grenades, etc. Nothing was more satisfying than to sneak up, rig everything up, throw some bomsb and then just watch the world burn, and occasionally finishing off someone with my crappy guns.

Explosive skill was fun.

It is, but you just do not get the bang for your buck unless you get the perks that up explosive damage. With perks only coming every even level, it just is not feasible to use it in FO:NV like it was in FO3. Now, do not get me wrong: explosives are fun and useful, but just not nearly as devastating as FO3.
--
From Psychonauts -
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

said by ekster:

I would hope that he did, if he's going sniper.

I think I went something like this for my character:

S - 3
P - 6
E - 3
C - 4
I - 7
A - 6
L - 5

This is similar to what I took. Lower strength and Charisma, higher perception and agility.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

said by Nightfall:

More than likely, a good majority of players decided to take out the Legion (I know that I did).

Another faction that I pissed off was the powder gangers and well, I just eliminated their HQ in the prison. Every powder ganger in that prison is now dead. I even went through and looted the prison as well. That was very satisfying.

Got a level out of doing that as well.

Wiping this scum from the earth is quite fun.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
It is natural to want to take them out, if you are wanting to take out the Legion ( the Legion and Powder Gangers were in talks of working together ).

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Even better reason to eradicate them.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Nightfall
I am going to get Weapon Handling at level 18. That way, when I get one of those fancy sniper rifles, I am going to have some fun. Until then, I have my sneak and guns up pretty high as it is now.

Gotta get a companion in order to help me with the Legion in case they attack me with 4 guys like the patrols they run around with .
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
By the way, do you use the VATS system since you went high perception?

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

I am going to get Weapon Handling at level 18. That way, when I get one of those fancy sniper rifles, I am going to have some fun. Until then, I have my sneak and guns up pretty high as it is now.

Gotta get a companion in order to help me with the Legion in case they attack me with 4 guys like the patrols they run around with .

ED-E is the companion that you want to get.

Edit: He's a "secondary" companion, like the dog in FO3, so you can have him and a primary, like Boone.
--
From Psychonauts -
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Nightfall
I found a decent build guide on games radar. This is their general recommendation for a sniper build:

»www.gamesradar.com/fallout-new-v···/?page=2

Strength: 4
Perception: 7
Endurance: 4
Charisma: 5
Intelligence: 6
Agility: 7
Luck: 7

Tagged Skills

Guns
Sneak
Lockpick

Traits

Kamikaze
Trigger Discipline

Perks

Rapid Reload
Friend of the Night
Travel Light
Bloody Mess
Commando
Living Anatomy
Finesse
Sniper
Silent Running
Robotics Expert (can be helpful for dealing with problematic robots)
Better Criticals
Action Boy / Girl
Grim Reaper’s Sprint
Concentrated Fire
Nerves of Steel

I haven't played a fallout game since Fallout 3's release, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this build, but it seems like a good framework. I may try out the laser gunner build, that looks like fun.
--

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Nightfall
I play a sneak/sniper in Fallout 3/NV and I've never had to worry about dying to anything out in the field. All you have to do is sneak. If they catch you running, you just get out of line of sight, then sneak, and then once you are safe, start headshotting. You should have a good enough gun and perks that you can headshot them even if they have armor.

Not to mention if you fight heavily armed humans they will drop tons of valuable loot.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Nightfall
Just wanted to update everyone on this situation.....

Last night I got Boone and ED-E as companions and now the Legion are not even a threat anymore. When it was just me, they would tool me pretty easily because my sneak isn't up high enough yet. Now, ED-E lets me know if an enemy is near and Boone just creams them from a distance.

I saw that same sniper build and the one thing its missing is a strength increase to get that awesome sniper rifle. I am going to be getting Weapon Handling and seeking out that scout sniper rifle so I can blow the heads off of idiots at an extreme distance.

I also picked up a lot of perks that are helping huge. One of them is a VATS ability that enables a higher chance to hit the head for instance. I think its called "Sniper". Anyway, now I am deadly accurate at a distance with my Cowboy Repeater. My Guns is also up to 95 as well.

So, now I don't worry about the Legion anymore. I intend to go to the Fort and kill Cesear and all the Legion forces eventually. Just like I wiped out the Powder Gangers in the prison.

In conclusion, there are various things that helped....

First, getting companions is a huge help. Second, getting a few more levels of experience and getting my guns pretty high helped as well.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
said by Nightfall:

Last night I got Boone and ED-E as companions and now the Legion are not even a threat anymore. When it was just me, they would tool me pretty easily because my sneak isn't up high enough yet. Now, ED-E lets me know if an enemy is near and Boone just creams them from a distance.

For a sniper, those are the best two companions that you can have at your side. However, later on when you start fighting in more closed in areas, I would recommend ED-E (still, as Rex is not that great comparatively) and Veronica (in power armor and an unarmed weapon, preferably a unique one like Pushy or the Industrial Hand (if you have Lonesome Road)).

Do not forget to equip your humanoid companions! Their survivability and damage increases greatly the better that you equip them. Your companions' gear will also not lose durability and their weapons do not use any ammo.
--
From Psychonauts -
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Nightfall
Good deal. I started my laser gunner last night and was given a laser pistol right off the bat. My energy weapons stat is like 30 at level 3...but man it's hard to find energy weapon ammo, so I'm supplementing it with the 9mm gun because that's what all the baddies are using so ammo and repairs are plentiful. My gun stat is only 15 but I don't seem to be having any trouble.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
said by bionicRod:

Good deal. I started my laser gunner last night and was given a laser pistol right off the bat. My energy weapons stat is like 30 at level 3...but man it's hard to find energy weapon ammo, so I'm supplementing it with the 9mm gun because that's what all the baddies are using so ammo and repairs are plentiful. My gun stat is only 15 but I don't seem to be having any trouble.

Energy weapons are much less plentiful in NV than they were in FO3, mainly because the Enclave is not present in NV. Man, once you got far enough in FO3, power armor and energy weapons dropped like candy.
--
From Psychonauts -
--