how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31

Something positive

After all the discussions about WoW, Good vs Bad, is it dying, dieing, etc... I found this vid, hope you enjoy....please remember to put on your nostalgia hat and rose colored glasses....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ12VD2OUM0

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
kudos:3

CURSE YOU WEBSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
reply to Skittles

great find! thanks for sharing.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to navymaverick

said by navymaverick:

CURSE YOU WEBSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This. Double arggghhh. If someone could post some info on the video (title, content/context, etc), I could do a google search for it with the handy-dandy modifier "-site:youtube.com" at the end of the string, so no youtube vids will get linked. It doesn't always work (sometimes youtube, or youtube embedded vids, are all that's available), but it's worth a shot.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

wowcrendor made it... pre-cataclysm azeroth. "tribute to old azeroth"
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Watermasta

join:2012-06-15
Quantico, VA
reply to Caelharrad

On a training phone call until 12:00pm (Central). If someone doesn't get to it before I do, I'll do it then.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Skittles

I found this:

»www.v2load.com/videos/GQ12VD2OUM0/

I'm getting an "error #2036" on my work PC, wondering if this is an addon incompatibility (Flash, RealPlayer, etc), or possibly just a bad link. Will keep looking.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

lol... that link is actually websensed for me, ha!
--

Watermasta

join:2012-06-15
Quantico, VA

This is somewhat a dedication of Vanilla WoW zones showing just how good some of those landscapes looked. It shows pretty much all of the landscapes from each zone.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Skittles

Impressive for 2004

said by Skittles:

After all the discussions about WoW, Good vs Bad, is it dying, dieing, etc... I found this vid, hope you enjoy....please remember to put on your nostalgia hat and rose colored glasses....

For 2004, those are very impressive graphics.

For 2013, maybe not. I tried to find a similar MMO comparison with another slightly newer game, the following is for comparison against the OP WoW video ...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkXnWklH···tailpage

WoW was nice, at release it was the best MMO available. Some of the beauty I felt when watching the video you presented was nostalgia. All things considered WoW has a lot of beauty, with more to come, but many areas shown are rarely used due to issues with the games design. Which is unfortunate. There really is a lot of great art in WoW that will likely never be enjoyed by newer players.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

1 recommendation

killjoy. I grow tired of your GW2 posts.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:4

^ That.

Skittles
Premium
reply to pandora

I appreciate what the artists did for GW2 but I felt absolutely nothing while watching that vid.
I guess the nostalgia factor for WoW is so great for me, everytime I watch the WoW vid I posted I can remember something I did in those zones with friends or alone.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by Skittles:

I appreciate what the artists did for GW2 but I felt absolutely nothing while watching that vid.
I guess the nostalgia factor for WoW is so great for me, everytime I watch the WoW vid I posted I can remember something I did in those zones with friends or alone.

I think that's it, so many of us know the areas in the first video, and can relate to them personally.

An advantage WoW has with it's customers is many years of history, and familiarity. Graphics may be less of an issue than comfort for established players.
--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
reply to pandora

»PC Gaming

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

The familiarity and nostalgia of many areas in WoW for established players may overcome any issues of video rendering.

I'm not certain how this is being a killjoy. The video I posted was intended to contrast WoW with GW2, the only other comparable MMO with similar video is RIFT. Of the two, the GW2 seemed better to me. I have played WoW (longest), then Rift (2nd longest) and GW2 (shortest).

Over time, my view of WoW / RIFT / GW2 has changed a bit. I think each has positives and negatives. For WoW emphasis is on raiding and PvP. Crafting, battle pets, exotic mounts, and guild enhancements have been added over time, but only work as diversions or to support raiding.

All games have limitations, pro's and con's. Overall, without a doubt, WoW is the winner, longevity, profitability, user loyalty, extensive lore, add ons are all great advantages for WoW over most other MMO's.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by pandora:

said by Immer:

I'm not certain how this is being a killjoy.

said by pandora:

For 2013, maybe not.

you opened with disparaging remarks in a thread that was started specifically to be positive. Killjoy.
--

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by Immer:

said by pandora:

said by Immer:

I'm not certain how this is being a killjoy.

said by pandora:

For 2013, maybe not.

you opened with disparaging remarks in a thread that was started specifically to be positive. Killjoy.

Like it or not, WoW has dated graphics. That isn't a disparaging statement as much as a statement of fact. Compared to RIFT or GW2 WoW has graphics issues. At the same time, the graphics in WoW have become part of the game's style, and are loved by many established players.

Graphics rendering has advanced much in 9 years Blizzard hasn't kept up with rendering advances in WoW. I believe Blizzard is able to address this, and I wish they would.

Better character creation (things like pupils, eye color, height, weight, and what not) would be helpful as would better graphics that are easier on a GPU. All females not having gigantic breasts could help a bit.

I still have strong positive feelings about WoW and enjoyed it for a very long time. I hope to see improvements in the next expansion, and look forward to returning if some of my concerns are addressed.

If it helps, I believe based on playing other MMO's that dungeon and raid finder are net positives for WoW. Others seem to disagree.

Not trying to be a killjoy, just putting in my 2 cents. I renewed my WoW membership for 6 months recently and have an active account until early 2014. I am GM of 2 level 25 guilds, one horde, one alliance. It isn't possible to spend that much energy on a game and not feel positive about it.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

still missing the point, dude. have a nice day.
--

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

Immer is right.

Everyone's happy for you that you found a game you enjoy.

However, you haven't even touched end-game in GW2... don't compare the games.

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
reply to Skittles

Re: Something positive

WoW is fine the way it is. It has been improved quite a bit since vanilla. And sadly even those improvements have made the game unplayable on older machines.

Ideally a MMORPG will be playable on the vast majority of machines the player base has.

The problem with better graphics is the power required. Essentially you will be trading better looks for fewer players.

Sure you have some control over how demanding the graphics are but the WoW base code is outdated and doesn't scale well.

Hopefully at some point there will be a total rewrite with a more scalable graphics engine and more streamlined code. And some long standing bugs and issues fixed. (Main bag size being fixed for one).

Skittles
Premium
reply to pandora

Re: Impressive for 2004

said by pandora:

All females not having gigantic breasts could help a bit.

I doubt this very much.....

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to Immer

*swooooosh*

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
kudos:3
reply to Skittles

said by Skittles:

said by pandora:

All females not having gigantic breasts could help a bit.

I doubt this very much.....

Agreed.

Nayan

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
reply to Skittles

Re: Something positive

I liked the video. Thanks for posting it .