join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N

Re: Appx. hours of labor?

said by H_T_R_N:

said by AsherN:

The PoE vs Wi-Fi is not about swich vs injectors. It's whether you can find a Wi-Fi camera that also allows a wired connection and if that connection allows PoE. That may be difficult to find.

Why would he need a Wi-Fi camera if he is going to wire it up for POE use?

Bacause he does not have the peoper wired infrastucture. Nor does he have electrical outlets near the cameras. From what I can gather, he wants to pull Cat5 from the nearest 110V outlet and use a PoE injector to power the camera, but get the signal through Wi-Fi.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by AsherN:

said by H_T_R_N:

said by AsherN:

The PoE vs Wi-Fi is not about swich vs injectors. It's whether you can find a Wi-Fi camera that also allows a wired connection and if that connection allows PoE. That may be difficult to find.

Bacause he does not have the peoper wired infrastucture. Nor does he have electrical outlets near the cameras. From what I can gather, he wants to pull Cat5 from the nearest 110V outlet and use a PoE injector to power the camera, but get the signal through Wi-Fi.

If someone is going to pull cat5 to an outlet for power than a simple gateway device attached where the power is injected would negate the need for a Wi-Fi device that also has POE. If he is not going to send data over the cat5 then just use a weather proof direct burial 18-16 gauge wire to power it. Again no need for POE injectors.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

said by H_T_R_N:

said by AsherN:

^^this, but my picture I made in a previous post might be easy enough to do since I am comfortable with hanging up cat 5 wire in my basement.

BTW, is cat 6 ok for PoE or will the extra sheilding, etc. cause issues?