All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
njmarchetti
join:2013-07-09

njmarchetti to ropweirp

to ropweirp

Re: New firmware version for REV I router: 40.20.7

My router updated about a week ago to he 40.20.7 firmware and I have seen several issues since, including:

- Upload failures (Windows 7 wired desktop)
- VPN dropouts (Windows 7 WIFI work laptop)
- IP address conflicts for some DHCP clients
- Unable to roll back to previous firmware via the router GUI Firmware Restore (states: Backup Firmware is missing or corrupted. You can not perform Firmware Restore until your next valid Firmware Upgrade.)

Has anyone else seen similar behavior? Is it possible to manually rollback the firmware to the previous version? I could not find older firmware downloads online via actiontec or Verizon.

As for DLNA, I have had DLNA working great (Nokia phone to Xbox) for the past two months without issue(even prior to this firmware).

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

I dl a copy each time the upgrade so that i can roll back. If you pm me i can send you a link to an older version for the I (40.20.1).

In the future just use the link in the "check at url" from your browser (Id post the link but apparently its getting deleted) and save the firmware file, be sure to label it with current version number since there is no internal numbering you can easily discern from the file itself.
TreeTops3
join:2008-11-23

1 edit

TreeTops3

My approach is to have auto. check disabled on the firmware upgrade page. so I am still on 40.20.1
Good tip Danclan!
Bob99
join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ

Bob99

I have auto check disabled, but the upgrades still get pushed to my router.

jjam
@verizon.net

jjam

Anon

New updates i believe are for the new media server

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf to Bob99

to Bob99
said by Bob99:

I'm not sure if this is the case for me since I'm on Comcast and this is a customer owned router. Regarding all the remote management features on these routers through the TR-069 function, I have a few questions:

It has been said that Verizon is able to fix and adjust settings, push firmware updates, and restart these routers remotely, but does this only apply to Verizon branded MI424WR routers Verizon loans to their FiOS customers, or does it also apply for Verizon branded MI424WR routers that FiOS customers have purchased and outright own? For example, with a cable provider, a customer can either rent a cable modem, or purchase their own from a retail store and activate it to their account via MAC address and serial number. The cable provider is able to push their compatible firmware version to the customer owned cable modem, and they have full diagnostic access into that same customer owned modem, treating it exactly the same way they do with their rented cable provider branded modems. So I'm just curious if that is the same case here regarding the routers.
Mike Wolf

1 edit

Mike Wolf to njmarchetti

to njmarchetti
said by njmarchetti:

- Unable to roll back to previous firmware via the router GUI Firmware Restore (states: Backup Firmware is missing or corrupted. You can not perform Firmware Restore until your next valid Firmware Upgrade.)

Has anyone else seen similar behavior? Is it possible to manually rollback the firmware to the previous version? I could not find older firmware downloads online via actiontec or Verizon.

I saw this behavior when I received the 40.20.1 update. When I originally received the router, I had been using firmware version 40.19.x without any problems. When I installed the 40.20.1 update a second time, the option was there, but only to roll back to the same 40.20.1 version. Upon updating to the 40.20.7 firmware, the option to roll back to 40.20.1 is there.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to Bob99

Premium Member

to Bob99
said by Bob99:

It use to be a open firewall port 4567 they triggered to have the router look for the update, but even if you manually set a rule to drop port 4567 requests, the router would still re-enable the port, and the next update would remove any manual blocking rules you had previously configured.

I think I set a rule to close the port and have the router reject any attempts at access before, but I gave up long ago, because it would always set itself back to open again.

Have not really thought about it much since then, that was prob. 5+ years ago....

As I recall, Verizon claimed they kept that secure on their own network, and it was simply a maintenance port only they could access, but anyone using a Verizon specific Actiontec firmware on another ISP might want to run a port scan to see what else the Verizon firmware opens up, and if it could be a potential security issue for you.
njmarchetti

njmarchetti to danclan

to danclan
Thanks Danclan. Actiontec sent me a 40.20.2 firmware that I used to downgrade the router. However, I forgot to disable Firmware updates and of course, the router re-updated itself to 40.20.7. I have not had time to mess with this, but still notice the issue with basically losing internet connectivity in the form of very slow or fail to load website errors.

Sounds like 40.20.7 is working well for most. Could something with my router be damaged from a botched firmware update? I still do not see the option to rollback the firmware natively in the dashboard. Very strange.

This router worked fantastic for over a year, but has suddenly become flaky. I am also just about to start a job working from home (with a VoIP phone) so the timing couldn't be worse. Should I try downgrading to 40.20.1 and see if that helps?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

How did you get Actiontec to give you the downgraded firmware? When I spoke to them they told me that something had been added to the 40.20.1 firmware to prevent the customer from downgrading the firmware to an earlier version and they said that "an upcoming update will remove the Firmware Restore setting from the customer accessible web interface". I'm guessing that means it would only be accessible from the service provider TR-069 remote interface from now on?
njmarchetti

njmarchetti

Interesting. I did the online support chat and told him I could not find a link to downgrade the firmware from Verizon. So he emailed me a link and I downloaded the firmware from there.

Funny you mention that the downgrade would not work, because the first time I tried it DID NOT work. The firmware update acted liked it completed, but I was still on 40.20.7. So I tried again the next day and the second time, the firmware took and brought me back down to 40.20.2. However, within about 10 minutes the router rebooted again and installed the 40.20.7 firmware again.

I have the link if you want to check it out.

Not sure if I should disable the auto update feature and then try the downgrade again. Is anyone else seeing issues related to 40.20.7 (connectivity or possibly related to DHCP lease?)

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I'm a little afraid to screw around with this routers firmware, especially since I purchased this router new from eBay. I'm a very tech savvy guy (tier 3 support), so for me to say that is saying something right there. The last time I let a router auto update was my Linksys right before "CloudGate" occurred back in 2012, and since there has yet to be release notes for each firmware update, I'm even more wary. I mean according to my router, the only update after 40.20.1 was 40.20.7, so I really don't know what was added and changed in 40.20.2.

Regarding Actiontec, they told me that the firmware isn't controlled by them but by Verizon and that they have no knowledge or control over it except posting it to their firmware update url »upgrade.actiontec.com/MI ··· EN3I.rmt when they receive it from Verizon.
njmarchetti

njmarchetti

Ok, so I just totally lost internet and could not restore it without FiOS Tech support reseting my ONT. Now I am back online, but it does not seem like they truly identified any root cause.

I also took a look at the logs and found the below errors scattered throughout (starting from the time I upgraded to the 40.20.7 firmware).

Jul 15 15:30:41 2013 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform initial 401 challenge

Jul 15 15:30:41 2013 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform challenge response with 200 OK from server

Jul 15 15:30:41 2013 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform 204 No Content

Any idea what those mean?
njmarchetti

njmarchetti

Looks like those are the Firmware Update check ins. They occur every 24 hours from the first check in time. Just tried to downgrade the firmware to 40.20.2 again and the router immediately checked in and upgraded to 40.20.7, so I am at a loss for what to try next

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to njmarchetti

to njmarchetti
Personally I don't think that firmware version has anything to do with it directly since I'm seeing those errors at different years on different models with different firmware versions, but it seems to be related to firmware update checks.
»What does this mean from the Actiontec logs?

»businessforums.verizon.n ··· p/292155

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· -p/21726

»businessforums.verizon.n ··· p/402587

»toddsnotes.blogspot.com/ ··· are.html
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to njmarchetti

to njmarchetti
You can always download the update totally manually (use the same URL that is shown on the automatic update page. and mentioned earlier in this thread). But instead of having the router try to do it, you do it. Pointing at the URL causes a download to occur to wherever you want. Then after the download is complete you can tell the router to install from a file on your machine. Works more reliably sometimes then the automatic update. I had to use it at least on one router that kept failing the automatic update.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

and just to add to what tnsprin said, do it from a wired Ethernet connected computer because that's the most reliable connection to the router. (Every router I've ever upgraded always recommends this, so there must be some truth to this) I think it's because wireless has too many variables like a critical bit not getting passed or the wireless dropping in the middle of the upgrade process which could brick the router.