Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Edrick

Re: "Professional" Grade or High End USB Power

I am surprised at the lack of such hardware, I know computer ports are limited because of the motherboard limits but something plugged into the wall would have no trouble supplying even 5A to several ports since the 5A in i think 5 VDC does not directly translate to 5A on the AC side of the device.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
It's all about the $$$.

The AC side is actually irrelevant for devices like this. Commercially sold devices need to worry about things such as UL and CSA approvals, so they can't just slap crap together. 5 amps is pushing it for those round barrel plugs; most of the time other connectors (which use multiple pins) are used for those kinds of power levels. So, they can either use more expensive connectors on more expensive wire (needs to be much thicker to overcome voltage drop), or they can run a higher voltage (say 12-18v) and add a buck converter in the hub/distribution block (additional parts = additional $$$$). All for a niche product that isn't going to move that many units (99% of consumers won't know the difference between this more powerful but more expensive power distribution system and the el cheapo on the shelf right next to it - they're both "USB chargers" after all).

/M