Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

[OS X] Any Recommdable Laptops to Run MacOS

My kids macbook pro screen is cracked and OWC nor elsewhere sells the glassscreen (17Inch model ID 5.3) to replace it. So I got to thinking, mainly due to a shortage of avail cash - is there a laptop based hardware useful solution available?? I was thinking in the range of $1K (I7 type notebook). ?? Specifically that will run the Max OSX (kid is addicted to macOS).

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Are you talking about PC laptops or a replacement Mac laptop?

You should be able to find an older generation 15" MacBook Pro in your price range - but the i7 requirement may inflate your costs. Does he really need an i7?

If you want a PC laptop - I highly recommend against it. It's against the TOS for Mac OS X, you'll receive zero support, the drivers (for laptops specifically) can be hard/impossible to find, and certain things may not work at all (iMessage, iCloud, etc).

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
You said 17" model ID 5.3, that doesn't wash.

Models 5.2 were 17" - »www.everymac.com/ultimat ··· okPro5,2

Models 5.3 were 15" - »www.everymac.com/ultimat ··· okPro5,3

You are best to look up the Model number on iFixit website, they have LCD panel replacements.
»www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Hi Volt. Thanks for that. Im pretty sure I double checked because i was frustrated they didnt have it.
I think my error was in the screen size. Damn its a 15 inch, dont know where my brain is at. Yes they do have it.

Now I looked at the Ifixit site and it looks to be a tad beyond my scope. I may get a local shop to do the procedure.

Thanks much for showing me where I was wrong.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
In case anyone else is interested, google

best hackintosh laptops

first three links should pretty much cover it. The answer is... a mac is the best for running macOS

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
Yes, I ran OS X on a Compaq Netbook. It had some 'minor' issues such as not sleeping properly.

Do your research first before trying to hack a non Mac based PC, otherwise follow suggestions on how to get the current MacBook fixed. It can be done for about $600, but some features don't work well.