A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dustyn

Re: MRT requires all updates and a reboot?

said by Dustyn:

said by antdude:

I tried again in W7 SP1 with another machine.
5 MB for the first time with all the updates.
20 mb for the second time after the required reboot.

MRT.exe was modified on 6/24/2013 and is 74.6 MB. It must had been updated during the second one since it was big.

You're right.
I remember noticing the 2nd time around that the download was MUCH larger than the initial 5MB download. Interesting... What kind of revision is made to a package making it grow from 5MB to 20MB?

Not sure. It says v5.2.9201.0 for today's release. What was it before? Hmm!
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Jrb2
Premium
join:2001-08-31
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to NICK ADSL UK

Re: Microsoft security bulletin for July 9 2013

Thank you, Nick!

Some side-notes on XP-home SP3:
Like others have posted already, I too got the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" offered twice. I thought it was me or my PC or the way I installed todays patches: first without the .Net Framework 1.1 update, then reboot, then install the .Net Framework 1.1 update; and then I got again MRT offered. Strange, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it.
PS:
Hmm, it seems I have to do some reading about MRT calling home. Which links? Thanks in advance.

I noticed also another thing:
When I first get to Windows Update in IE8, I got a warning that I had to enable the automatical service Automatical Updates (or whatever it is called in English; I use the Dutch version). I had set up that service to manually. I had to change to automatically. Then I was able to get the updates. After I got all the updates, I did set it to manually back again. We'll see how it will go next month.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by Jrb2:

Hmm, it seems I have to do some reading about MRT calling home. Which links?

The one I posted above?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Jrb2
Premium
said by StuartMW:

said by Jrb2:

Hmm, it seems I have to do some reading about MRT calling home. Which links?

The one I posted above?

I guess so, not sure at the moment. I had some problems posting here (posted at /dev/null ). Not sure what happened.
Would you mind to post again? Please.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

You're right.
I remember noticing the 2nd time around that the download was MUCH larger than the initial 5MB download. Interesting...I'm wondering if rev 5.2 multilingual support is the reason for the size increase?

Where did you see that multilingual support part?
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to Jrb2

Yeah posting was disabled, site wide, for about 5 mins.

»Re: MS Security Intel Report - 24% PCs Unprotected
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

»Re: MRT requires all updates and a reboot?
UNDER DETAILS... right at the very bottom.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Dustyn:

»Re: MRT requires all updates and a reboot?
UNDER DETAILS... right at the very bottom.

Ahh, interesting. You know what else I noticed is different? Run mrt.exe. Some comestic changes like texts and that top right image.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Well as I alluded to above Microsoft released a totally new version of MRT on the last patch Tues (i.e. a month ago). I noticed because the new version doesn't run on Win2K.
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by StuartMW:

Well as I alluded to above Microsoft released a totally new version of MRT on the last patch Tues (i.e. a month ago). I noticed because the new version doesn't run on Win2K.

Yep. I am surprised MS supported it for that long!
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Yeah posting was disabled, site wide, for about 5 mins.

»Re: MS Security Intel Report - 24% PCs Unprotected

Oh, I can post now? I suddenly couldn't and I thought that meant the move was actually underway. I could post on the test site though.

I cannot believe that I have to install SIX .Net framework patches for Win 8...why not just one inclusive of all versions of .NET on this computer?

Microsoft download site is not congested today like it was last month. I'v downloaded to disk all of them except .NET ones. I haven't installed any yet.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by Mele20:

...and I thought that meant the move was actually underway.

I hope justin See Profile gives some notice. I will have to change a few firewall rules when IP's change.
--

Jrb2
Premium
reply to NICK ADSL UK
Thanks Stuart and Dustyn and antdude. I guess it is better that I try to read tomorrow what you were saying. Too much issues at the moment and far too late in the night here.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Yeah. Patch Tues has that effect

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to NICK ADSL UK
Nevermind.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

1 recommendation

reply to NICK ADSL UK
Thanks Nick 16 updates for my Win 7 Pro.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to NICK ADSL UK
Click for full size
Manual download of: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
(2833958) and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
(2840632)

for Windows 8 64 bit OFFERS THE WRONG FILE. This is using Fx 17.0.7 ESR to download.

All other .NET framework patches for Windows 8 64 bit download just fine using Fx 17 ESR.

The correct files are offered using Opera 12.15, IE 10, and Sea Monkey 2.19.

I suspect this is happening ONLY on Fx 17.0.7 ESR. I just tried again with it and I still am being offered the wrong files.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to antdude

I got the MRT twice in XP Pro SP3. I watched the download and installation to see what happened and then ran update again and was offered the MRT again. So, it wasn't just Win 7.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by rcdailey:

I got the MRT twice in XP Pro SP3. I watched the download and installation to see what happened and then ran update again and was offered the MRT again. So, it wasn't just Win 7.

It seems to be all Windows. First and second offers have different file sizes.
--

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
So should we install it twice?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by La Luna:

So should we install it twice?

From Windows Updates? I believe so since I did that on all of my computers yesterday. Note that before and after all updates and required reboots have different file sizes. I don't see anything broken on my machines either.
--

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

1 recommendation

Yes, from WU (if I get it twice, haven't done it yet). Thanks.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to rcdailey
Thanks for this, rcdailey See Profile

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Appears to have been a rather large issue.
»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···23a9c635

NICK ADSL UK
Premium,MVM
join:2004-02-22
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Zen Internet
reply to NICK ADSL UK

July 2013 Security Release ISO Image

This DVD5 ISO image file contains the security updates for Windows released on Windows Update on July 9, 2013.

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···products
--
Wilders Security Forum Admin
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NICK ADSL UK
i noticed one thing that was strange.. when i checked the regkey, to verify that the update for "GDIPlus" had been installed, i noticed that the "filelist"-regkey, for the update, was empty.. that is the first time that i have seen an empty "filelist"..

the new "GDIPlus" file was installed.. it seems like it would have been listed in "filelist".. that is what i normally see when i look at "filelist", a list of the files that were installed..

i am running "windows xp" and the GDIPlus-update that was installed was "2834886"..

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NICK ADSL UK

XP SP3's svchost.exe process hogging lately?

Hello again!

Has anyone noticed Windows XP SP3's svchost.exe is hogging CPU a lot for MS updates with its automatic update checker? I noticed this today and yesterday to get the latest updates that came out on Tuesday.

Thank you in advance.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
I'll keep an eye out for that on my Windows XP SP3 system. I haven't noticed any sluggishness or high CPU usage.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to antdude
I've had a similar issue since about a month ago. At first I thought it was due to KB2839229 (and that may be the root cause).

»Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Minor Revisions - June 18, 2013

What is actually occurring on my old (single core CPU) WinXP SP3 box is that any process doing a lot of disk activity causes MSE to kick in and slow that system to a crawl. My solution so far is to put those processes in MSE's exclusion list. So far that's done trick.

I don't know if MSE is the problem or KB2839229 did something.
--

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to NICK ADSL UK

can one of you guys, who is running "windows xp", check the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB2834886\Filelist" regkey and see if the "filelist" there is blank?