spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

garyprud

join:2005-07-09
Prospect, KY

Inconsitent pressure in shower after replacing stem seats!

A few months ago I had to replace the worn stem seats in my shower (two-handled diverter) - I removed the stems, took off the old worn washers, and replaced them with new ones. I cleaned the stems and re-assemled. Shuts off great, but now I have inconsistent pressure. There's no difference between hot or cold - it is either weak or strong, and will go for days one way, then change, then a couple days later it's weak again. Or, shower-to-shower it may change. Any ideas? BTW, the diverter is behind a tile wall which I'd rather not get into...Thanks, GP

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
If the hot and cold are separate handles and it affects both then the problem is most likely in the shower head. Most have a screen and/or a flow reducer where the head screws onto the pipe from the wall. When you replaced the washers you may have dislodged some calcium buildup or other gunk and it's now clogging the screen/reducer. I'd start by unscrewing the shower head and cleaning out any gunk that may have become lodged right there.

/M

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
If not the shower head, its very possible you have a partial clog in the diverter.. Diverters are usually designed with a smaller hole than the tub outlet so the water will prefer the tub spigot.

Best way to fix that without major disassembly would be to backflush from the showerhead thru the tub spigot with an outside source.. Your garden hose is probably the easiest.. Dont need a helluva lot of flow, just a coupla quick blasts thru the open shower arm.

good luck

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

garyprud

Prospect, KY
Thanks fo the tips. I've been on vacation, but willtry those!

garyprud

Prospect, KY
reply to garyprud
Sure enough, found a half-piece of an old rubber washer inside the filter screen of the shower head. 10-minute fix. Thanks again!