Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TreeTops

join:2008-11-23

1 edit
reply to danclan

Re: New firmware version for REV I router: 40.20.7

My approach is to have auto. check disabled on the firmware upgrade page. so I am still on 40.20.1
Good tip Danclan!

Bob99

join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ
I have auto check disabled, but the upgrades still get pushed to my router.

jjam

@verizon.net
New updates i believe are for the new media server

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

2 edits
reply to Bob99
said by Bob99:

I'm not sure if this is the case for me since I'm on Comcast and this is a customer owned router. Regarding all the remote management features on these routers through the TR-069 function, I have a few questions:

It has been said that Verizon is able to fix and adjust settings, push firmware updates, and restart these routers remotely, but does this only apply to Verizon branded MI424WR routers Verizon loans to their FiOS customers, or does it also apply for Verizon branded MI424WR routers that FiOS customers have purchased and outright own? For example, with a cable provider, a customer can either rent a cable modem, or purchase their own from a retail store and activate it to their account via MAC address and serial number. The cable provider is able to push their compatible firmware version to the customer owned cable modem, and they have full diagnostic access into that same customer owned modem, treating it exactly the same way they do with their rented cable provider branded modems. So I'm just curious if that is the same case here regarding the routers.

--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bob99
said by Bob99:

It use to be a open firewall port 4567 they triggered to have the router look for the update, but even if you manually set a rule to drop port 4567 requests, the router would still re-enable the port, and the next update would remove any manual blocking rules you had previously configured.

I think I set a rule to close the port and have the router reject any attempts at access before, but I gave up long ago, because it would always set itself back to open again.

Have not really thought about it much since then, that was prob. 5+ years ago....

As I recall, Verizon claimed they kept that secure on their own network, and it was simply a maintenance port only they could access, but anyone using a Verizon specific Actiontec firmware on another ISP might want to run a port scan to see what else the Verizon firmware opens up, and if it could be a potential security issue for you.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET