Search similar:

uniqs

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido

VDSL profile with a FTTN logins

Hi guys,

If someone has a 15M/10M working VDSL service with Bell, with full sync and subscribes with an IISP on a 15M/1M profile, would it be possible to use a ADSL2+ modem with the IISP username and password and the ADSL2+ modem over the Bell VDSL connection?

Kind of back-up service ...

Or the VDSL profile does not allow to have a working FTTN on it?

Thanks

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Er, the part about ADSL2+ modems is a bit confusing but...

Since your home should have at least 2 pairs of wires coming into it, you could have Bell's VDSL service on the first pair and then have an IISP's FTTN ADSL2+ service on the second pair. You would need to be clear on that upon ordering the service and when the POTS splitter technician comes to your home, your wiring would need to be redone so an outlet somewhere uses only the second pair.

I imagine if you have POTS telephone service as well, that could make things tricky if you only have 2 pairs but ADSL2+ / POTS service can run along side each other.

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to MFido

to MFido
VDSL and ADSL2+ are two different services. but normally are on FTTN remotes, but can't co habitat on a single pair.

You can use a second pair (if available) to have a FTTN ADSL2+ 15/1 as a dryloop as a secondary service. or a cable Docsis connection. Cable may be cheeper. just get a 6mbps as back up for like 24.99

MFido
Montreal

MFido

Hi guys,

So someone cannot just unplug the Bell VDSL modem and plug the FTTN (ADSL2+) modem with the IISP login and surf, right?

It will not work because they are considered 2 different technologies?

But on a second scenario, If the Bell profile is FTTN, then the IISP login will work, right?
MFido

MFido

So someone cannot just unplug the Bell VDSL modem and plug the FTTN (ADSL2+) modem with the IISP login and surf, right?

It will not work because they are considered 2 different technologies?

But on a second scenario, If the Bell profile is FTTN, then the IISP login will work, right?

Thanks
despe666
join:2009-06-20
Montreal, QC

despe666

PPPOE logins are universal, no distinction between ADSL/VDSL and Bell line/IISP line. Modems are technology specific, but not provider specific. An ADSL Bell modem would work with an IISP ADSL line and vice-versa. For VDSL Bell provides the modem for the IISP so it's moot.

MFido
Montreal

MFido

Yes, my understanding is now that a ADSL2+ modem with a IISP login will not work on a VDSL provisioned line ...

Thanks all!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

the sagemcom modem that Bell gives out does ADSL2 and VDSL2. unless i'm not understanding the question correctly.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to MFido

Premium Member

to MFido
said by MFido:

So someone cannot just unplug the Bell VDSL modem and plug the FTTN (ADSL2+)

Correct, the ADSL2+ modem will not sync. Ie in my experience, the ports are not auto-detect and will only sync for the technology they are set for.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

1 edit

TypeS to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

the sagemcom modem that Bell gives out does ADSL2 and VDSL2. unless i'm not understanding the question correctly.

I think he wants to keep his Bell VDSL service and then order ADSL2+ service from an IISP.

MFido, if this is what you're asking, you can do it, but the second service needs to come on the second pair (if available) of your telephone line coming into your home. You won't be able to use the same telephone jacks to swap out the services, each will need its own telephone jack wired to their appropriate twisted copper wire pair.

I suppose one could get a multi jack wall mount an wire each jack appropriately but you may be charge to have that done on top of the POTS splitter installation.

MFido
Montreal

MFido

Rocca, TypeS ...you are right , it is now clear for me. Thanks guys!

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by MFido:

So someone cannot just unplug the Bell VDSL modem and plug the FTTN (ADSL2+)

Correct, the ADSL2+ modem will not sync. Ie in my experience, the ports are not auto-detect and will only sync for the technology they are set for.

I tried ADSL2+ on my VDSL connection at home (recent install - Bell Wholesale) and had no issues getting sync. Might be luck of the draw though....

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

The ones I've tried it on have all been business, maybe there is a distinction in that profile.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart

Premium Member

said by rocca:

The ones I've tried it on have all been business, maybe there is a distinction in that profile.

Yeah or just luck on my part (it's a new install so maybe they haven't locked it down too).
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Once the profile is Set to VDSL the Adsl2+ should get no sync and just Blink endlessly, Now if your in a UPTO area getting bell 15/10 Supposedly but in reality getting 15/1 Then sure you can sync adsl2 because its In Adsl2 Just Sold as Upto 15/10 which is not availible to your area.