All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dougsk
join:2012-07-07
Post Falls, ID

dougsk

[DSL] Bonded DSL Zyxel P-663HN-51 ... and static block?

Hi Frontier, I got bonded DSL installed yesterday in North Idaho on a Zyxel P-663HN-51 CPE. I also ordered a /29 static IP block. Line tech had modem installed quite quickly and we're up and running via PPPoE automatic address assignment. Line tech advised me to call into the FTR helpdesk for assistance on configuring modem for statics. Spent 1.25hrs on phone with FTRHD. Asked her to escalate and find out if this CPE is even capable of supporting a static IP block in PPPoE mode on FTR without NAT, eg LAN interface is 'public' subnet block (ala Westell modems in the past on single pair installs). Should I be asking for a different CPE or is it actually configurable to support a static block on the 'LAN' interface?
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

You mean you want certain computers to always have the same IP?

Just go ahead and set each machine to have its own ip address in windows or the installed os.

What I normally do is set ip's 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.100 manually and let dhcp set ip's for 192.168.1.101 through 192.168.1.200 automatically.

This allows me to manually set any ip;s I need to such as printers, desktop machines etc. and have mobile, temporary, and wifi devices pick ip's automatically.

As long as the wan side of the router has a fixed ip it won't interferer with vpn access INTO your private network or accessing a server on your DMZ.
dougsk
Post Falls, ID

dougsk

Hi Aranath, thanks for the reply but you're using private addresses, which indicates NAT and I'll need to be using public addresses because I need the devices globally routable. NAT port address translation works okay when you're using common services like TCP/UDP, but when you're using other protocols (eg IPSEC) this doesn't work, additionally since I'm putting a load balanced pair of firewalls behind this using VRRP, I'd prefer to avoid the double NAT translation.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY
Actiontec F2250
(Software) pfSense

DeLiver3

Premium Member

I'm not familiar with the device, but have you seen this:

»wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Zyxe ··· 663HN-51

It may/may not work against Frontier. Sadly, it looks like another case of Frontier shoving residential gateways to a business customer.
dougsk
Post Falls, ID

dougsk

Turns out the Zyxel P-663HN-51 does support this, however in my case the NOC hadn't configured my leased statics correctly.

With incorrect pppoe or no pppoe username and password you'll get IP in the FTR dynamic scope, verify IP at 'Device Info, WAN'. This should just work, if not call FTR. With PPPoE username and password correct, you should get a different IP under 'Device Info, WAN'. This is Modem 'wan' IP. You should still be able to get internet access at this point. If not escalate to FTR. If so, visit "Advanced Setup", LAN, scroll to bottom check mark the 'use second IP' and fill in the first usable wan address in the subnet leased from FTR. Then configure the remaining IPs as you wish.

Be that as it may, I did get CPE replaced with an Actiontec, since it's wall mountable as opposed to the Zyxel which is not.