Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ryback

join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

[Southeast] How To Get DSLAM Batteries Physically Checked/Replac

As a decades long DSL customer in S. FL who's weathered a number of hurricanes, I know that area power outages typically don't cause a loss of broadband service unless the outage lasts close to 24 hours.

Lately, even a brief ~2 second power flicker is causing me to loose my broadband connection on my 2wire modem (broadband light goes out, all other lights remain lit) and the 2wire modem is on a known good UPS. I have also replaced the 2wire modem with a known good spare and the problem persists.

After each power failure I sit and wait approx. 5 minutes and then the broadband connection (and light) come back up. I don't really know much about how the DSLAM operates, but I'm assuming the 5 minute wait is for the DSLAM to reboot.

Repeated calls to ATT all result in being put on hold while they run tests, only to be told that there's no problem with their equipment.

Is my conclusion that the DSLAM batteries are not functioning wrong?
How do I get ATT to address this problem?

Thanks

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

Re: [Southeast] How To Get DSLAM Batteries Physically Checked/Re

DSLAMs are typically in the CO, so power should never be a problem.

At any rate, unless you're losing phone services (POTS) as well, you have nothing to complain about.

Ryback

Boynton Beach, FL
Thank you, although I'm a bit confused over the statement that I have nothing to complain about. I assume you're aware that in this day and age, many people no longer use POTS.

So, after a bit more investigation, let me rephrase the question.

I don't have a clue what type of equipment lies between me and the central office. In my 10+ years at this address with ADSL service (6Mb), power outages of up to several hours duration, have never caused an interruption in my DSL service. So, I am assuming that ATT's equipment that services me has been on some form of battery backup, at least during the initial stage of the outage. All of MY equipment is on a large commercial grade UPS.

I have also verified that a neighbor with DSL service, has also started experiencing the same problem, where even brief power flickers are taking their broadband link down for 5+ minutes. They also have their modem/router on a UPS.

5 minutes may not seem like a big deal to some, but in S SL where thunderstorms are frequent, so are brief power hits, and the sometimes multiple, daily, DSL outages have not occurred in the past under the same conditions.

Can someone explain why I am currently experiencing this change in service quality, and what if anything, can be done to address it?

Thank you.

djc6

join:2007-11-28
Cleveland, OH
reply to Ryback
Maybe this other thread has some relevant info:

»DSL vs Uverse and power outages

Bad_Battery

@comcast.net
reply to Ryback
Your bad battery analysis is most likely correct; I have seen this symptom many times on a variety of equipment that relies on a battery backup system.

Most likely you are getting service from an RT DSLAM instead of directly from the CO; someone should have noticed the problem if it were at the CO (especially since a bad battery should have triggered an alarm condition).

As for a solution, there is no easy path for a customer to report infrastructure problems to AT&T. The assumption is that you are an idiot and don't know what you are talking about, and your report will be (at best) ignored; and if you continue to try to tell them that there is a problem you risk being blackballed and having your service disconnected.

One possible path you could take would be to post in this site's »AT&T Direct forum. The techs who monitor that forum seem to have an upstream reporting path for infrastructure problems.

lkrupp

join:2001-07-14
Collinsville, IL
reply to Ryback
All remote terminals (RTs, boxes on the curb, vaults underground) have batteries backing up the AC/DC rectifiers. Those batteries are SUPPOSED to be routinely checked and maintained by outside forces. But this routine maintenance is often skipped or ignored by the people who are supposed to perform the checks. When I was working (in the C.O.) we always had a couple of RTs go down during a power outage because the batteries were bad. The routine is performed by killing AC power to the RT and watching to make sure the batteries take over and power the RT. The rate of discharge of the batteries in monitored and recorded. The battery plant is supposed to be engineered to provide up to 8 hours of reserve power. The batteries are supposed to be inspected for leakage, cracks, corrosion on the terminals, etc, just like a car battery. Any issues are supposed to be reported to the power engineer for resolution. I use the words "SUPPOSED TO BE" a lot, don't I? Well, you get the picture.

Ryback

Boynton Beach, FL
Well it seems that ATT is holding true to form, in that they don't seem to ever have a problem. But after seeing a couple of trucks at the DSLAM box last week, my power hit problems have magically disappeared.

Thanks to all for the advice.

lkrupp

join:2001-07-14
Collinsville, IL
said by Ryback:

Well it seems that ATT is holding true to form, in that they don't seem to ever have a problem. But after seeing a couple of trucks at the DSLAM box last week, my power hit problems have magically disappeared.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Magical elves?

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Ryback
Call your PUC and tell them that when your power goes out you loose dialtone for 5 minutes and are concerned about access to 911 services during that time.
--
PRescott7-2097