spc
uniqs

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly to Nezmo

to Nezmo

Re: Apple Loses e-books Case

I don't really think it was price fixing though. How is this any different than music on the iTunes store, is that next?

What do you guys think?
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

This is probably a bit of a hostile environment in which to have a meaningful discussion, since it likely wouldn't be very complimentary to Apple.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to Squirrelly

Premium Member

to Squirrelly
said by Squirrelly:

I don't really think it was price fixing though. How is this any different than music on the iTunes store, is that next?

What do you guys think?

The difference is Apple was trying to fix prices in ALL stores not just their own. It was an attempt to eliminate price competition. No way I'm going to defend Apple on this, throw the book at them (no pun intended).

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

pianotech

Premium Member

When the iPad was released, books were selling for less in the Kindle book store. Apple pressured publishers to raise the price. If you remember, some publishers became unavailable on the Kindle store because of it because Amazon didn't want to accept the new price structure that the publishers worked out with Apple.

Apple of course didn't want another company to have a price advantage over them. Colluding to raise and/or control prices is illegal under our antitrust laws, as it should be. Competition benefits everyone.