spc
uniqs
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

Re: So what happened to speed upgrades?

Dec 2011 was the last time they raised speeds. I'm actually fine with 30 Meg. Not that I use much upload but I can see where that could use a good bump in speed. Even on one channel I'm pretty sure upload can go higher than 4 or 5 meg. Even if they raised 30 Meg to say 50 Meg no doubt there would still many many people complaining about not having a $25 tier.

fredbisard
@charter.com

fredbisard

Anon

"Even if they raised 30 Meg to say 50 Meg no doubt there would still many many people complaining about not having a $25 tier."

i would be amongst that group and am amongst them now.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by fredbisard :

"Even if they raised 30 Meg to say 50 Meg no doubt there would still many many people complaining about not having a $25 tier."

Well I hate to tell you but you won't be seeing any $25 tier anytime soon if ever. You might get a $40 tier sometime. Even that I'm really not sure.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by 88615298:

said by fredbisard :

Well I hate to tell you but you won't be seeing any $25 tier anytime soon if ever. You might get a $40 tier sometime. Even that I'm really not sure.

What is available for $25 anyway? 1.5mps DSL from some crappy teleco?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by mogamer:

What is available for $25 anyway? 1.5mps DSL from some crappy teleco?

Some people think that it's only fair that Charter offer a 10 Meg - 15 Meg tier for $25 or they are being ripped off.

fredbisard
@charter.com

fredbisard

Anon

"Some people think that it's only fair that Charter offer a 10 Meg - 15 Meg tier for $25 or they are being ripped off."

not that i feel i'm being ripped off just have no need for anything faster or costlier. that should be pretty easy to understand? the 15Meg plan was perfect.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by fredbisard :

"Some people think that it's only fair that Charter offer a 10 Meg - 15 Meg tier for $25 or they are being ripped off."

not that i feel i'm being ripped off just have no need for anything faster or costlier. that should be pretty easy to understand? the 15Meg plan was perfect.

It should be easy to understand that if a $25 10 Meg tier was going to make Charter money they would be doing it. Period. Charter is not going to introduce a tier that will not make money or maybe cause a loss of profit. Charter like every 99.999% of business exist to make a profit. Not to provide services at a loss.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

1 edit

BlakePaulson

said by 88615298:

It should be easy to understand that if a $25 10 Meg tier was going to make Charter money they would be doing it. Period. Charter is not going to introduce a tier that will not make money or maybe cause a loss of profit. Charter like every 99.999% of business exist to make a profit. Not to provide services at a loss.

How hard is it for you to understand that Charter could easily make money selling 10meg service for $25... the reason they DON'T is because they make MORE money only offering 30/4 service for $54.99.

I understand Charter can do whatever it is they want to, but seriously, just admit the only reason they are offering what they are offering is because they make the most profit selling a product that not that many people actually need.

It's only about money these days. Not about providing services, not about providing employment and certainly not about competition.

Charter caps (while not enforced unless in a congested node) only exist to provide as a future cash cow. Why is it I can be on Business class for $65 a month (no promo, no contract) and get 30/4 with NO CAPS/SERVER ABILITY etc. etc. for only $9.99 more than 30/4 residential service.

So when there's only a difference of $9.99 between business and residential service for the exact same speed, that right there tells you that either residential service is too expensive, or business service isn't expensive enough (and hey, they decided that at $65 it was profitable to provide business service.)

My charter service works perfect, I'm happy with it. I think for business class $65 is very reasonable. I have a problem with the way the residential service is set up and a lot of other people have that same thought. The fact that you keep bullying people into thinking they're wrong for wanting charter to provide a lower tier and a better price is idiotic at best.

We all want the internet, but we are stuck with the providers that have set up shop where we live. Just because people are trying to save money in every way they can but still enjoy some small things in life does not make them leeches or takers... it just means they are voicing their opinion. I realize you too are voicing your opinion and you have every right to do so, but you lash out at people. Many different people have stated they want multiple tiers... you seem to be the only one who is content being told you must take what you can get and it's the greatest thing ever at the best price ever.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by BlakePaulson:

How hard is it for you to understand that Charter could easily make money selling 10meg service for $25...

Really? If Charter offers a $25 tier no doubt many of those on the $55 tier will sign up for it. Charter LOSES $30 in profit if that happens. So if say 20% of Charter customers sign up for this new tier, Charter would need a 12% increase in customers( assuming the same 20% lower priced tier adoption ) to make the same money they do now. And that's assuming the entire revenue from internet was profit which it's not. So in reality we're talking about a 30% increase just to break even. Now what corporation would do that? Not to mention that Charter is not going to get a 30% increase in customers.

If a lower priced tier ADDS to the revenue stream Charter will do it. It's that simple. Charter is not going to turn down extra money. Until the math is right Charter is not adding a lower priced tier no matter how many people complain.

And if for some reason Charter was forced to add a $25 tier no doubt that would come at the expense of increased pricing on the 30 meg and 100 meg tiers and/or the reintroduction of modem fees and/or increase pricing of cable/phone to make up for the lost revenue. No thanks

just admit the only reason they are offering what they are offering is because they make the most profit selling a product that not that many people actually need.

Charter is a business is in the USA where the goal is to maximize profit. You may not want it to be that way, but that is the way it is. Do you want a law stating how much profit a company can make? Do you think such a law would actually force Charter to offer a lower priced tier?

If you want a lower priced product then go with a company that offers it. Oh is Charter your only option? Why not ask at&t or Verizon or whoever why they REFUSE to come to your area. Why not ask you local or state officials to force them to offer service. Exactly why is it Charter's responsibility to offer you plans that others could be offering, but they REFUSE to service your area. Maybe you should be grateful that unlike at&t, Verizon and the others Charter actually provides service. Kind of like a guy complaining his date is ugly when she was the only one interested in going out with him. She could have been like the others and said no.

By the way At&t is in my area and they want $51 for 12 meg and $56 for 18 meg( for the small percentage that can actually get it ). Sure you can get internet for $25 a month with at&t. If you want to call 1.5 Mbps actual internet.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by 88615298:

By the way At&t is in my area and they want $51 for 12 meg and $56 for 18 meg( for the small percentage that can actually get it ). Sure you can get internet for $25 a month with at&t. If you want to call 1.5 Mbps actual internet.

I get 14 Mbps Internet for $19.98 a month; but not from AT&T.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
said by BlakePaulson:

The fact that you keep bullying people into thinking they're wrong for wanting charter to provide a lower tier and a better price is idiotic at best.

At no point have I said I was against a lower priced tier. NOT ONCE EVER. Look it up. If Charter chooses to offer it, great that is their choice. Obviously they feel it's reasonable to do so then. I have no qualms about a lower priced tier being offered. Got it? So now that I have made that clear more than once perhaps we can move on.

you seem to be the only one who is content being told you must take what you can get and it's the greatest thing ever at the best price ever.

First how is complaining on a messageboard doing anything? Because you're implying that by not complaining I'm "content" and thus the people complaining are actually taking some sort of action. Um...no they aren't.

It's not about being content it's about accepting reality. It's not only people that complain here, but for other services that all they do is complain on a messageboard. As if that will actually do something. Like some CEO reads the board and suddenly has an epiphany "Oh man we have been ripping off our customers, From now on we'll lower prices". I honestly think some people actually believe that is what will happen.

These same people have the ability in many cases to do something that has MUCH better chance of working, which is speaking with their wallets and leaving. Do they ever do it? Nope. Most don't just come back to the board of whatever service they hate being a customer of and make the same complaints over and over and wondering why nothing changes. As long as a company keeps getting you to pay them every month you can complain all you want, why would they care they have your money.

Now some people don't have another choice. Well that's not Charter's fault. How about complaining to your locals leaders and ask why they have not done anything to bring more broadband options to the area? But of course people don't, that might require to going to town hall meetings and such and calling and writing local and state politicians constantly.

88615298 (banned) to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

[I get 14 Mbps Internet for $19.98 a month; but not from AT&T.

And people in that type of situation that don't need 30 meg internet and don't want to pay $55 a month should go with that company that offers that instead of staying with Charter and constantly asking when is Charter going to offer it. At some point if enough people did that Charter would see the logic that losing $30( having a customer go from $55 to $25 ) is preferable to losing the entire $55.