Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Re: Topic for site switch-to-new-servers glitches

Is anyone else getting a constant flashing PM with no name attached? My last PM was 9 hours ago and I read it and it cleared out OK.

Not sure if this is related to changes or what.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by Weirdal:

Is anyone else getting a constant flashing PM with no name attached? My last PM was 9 hours ago and I read it and it cleared out OK.

Not sure if this is related to changes or what.

Just noticed this as well. Only started after 5 PM for me though. No idea when but I was on at 5 and it was not there.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to Weirdal

to Weirdal
I am getting the flashing PM with no name attached as well. My last PM was couple of days ago.

In addition, the default settings to list forum topics/threads is decreased also it seems.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
Yeah, started just now--won't go away. (I don't have any "unread" messages.)

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin to Weirdal

Mod

to Weirdal
yeah it'll go away soon, due to a transition of a change among cached javascript and all that jazz.

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

cabana to GlennLouEarl

Mod

to GlennLouEarl
It is temporary ... it will go away soon ... just pretend it is the universe leaving you a very important message
Guru
join:2008-10-01

1 edit

1 recommendation

Guru

Hahah Ok! Pretending that universe is leaving me a imp msg.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

2 recommendations

GlennLouEarl to cabana

Premium Member

to cabana
"Don't Panic!"

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

1 recommendation

Kalford to cabana

MVM

to cabana
said by cabana:

It is temporary ... it will go away soon ... just pretend it is the universe leaving you a very important message

not need to pretend. . .if you look at the source code for the page, you can see an important message that isn't there.

kkb2
Object of the Panopticon
join:2000-06-11
Colorado

1 recommendation

kkb2 to cabana

to cabana
My envelope is from the NSA and I've lost my decoder ring.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to justin

Premium Member

to justin
This blinking icon is driving me insane!!!

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

4 recommendations

Koil to kkb2

Premium Member

to kkb2
said by kkb2:

My envelope is from the NSA and I've lost my decoder ring.

B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to kkb2

to kkb2
No. This PM is from the Ghost, and his name Is Unknown PM

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Don't know if it's related but more often than not in the past half-hour or so, new replies don't "auto-update" the page(s) and there's no #newreplies div for the page(s).

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Click for full size
Click for full size
Im is not working right it says I have things in my inbox when I don't.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to justin

to justin
And the blank PM is gone

It is back again
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to justin

to justin
we are all getting im from the future. Also is it me or is the reply box is now extra wide?

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Yeah... now it's just playin' with us. ("Made ya look!")

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to justin

Premium Member

to justin
This is what that thing blinking in my face feels like...

kkb2
Object of the Panopticon
Colorado

kkb2 to justin

to justin
OK, envelope gone when I force a reload.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by kkb2:

OK, envelope gone when I force a reload.

Ugh it's back again. Justin please make it stop !

kkb2
Object of the Panopticon
Colorado

kkb2

Try holding your shift key when clicking your browser's reload widget, or clear your cache.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by kkb2:

Try holding your shift key when clicking your browser's reload widget, or clear your cache.

It comes and goes. I've hit Sh+F5 and cleared cache. It pops up on some reloads, and goes away on others.

kkb2
Object of the Panopticon
Colorado

kkb2

said by Koil:

said by kkb2:

It comes and goes. I've hit Sh+F5 and cleared cache. It pops up on some reloads, and goes away on others.

Confirmed. I spoke too soon!
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

47717768 (banned) to GlennLouEarl

to GlennLouEarl
That's it. I am calling the exterminator

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to Koil

Mod

to Koil
As I said further up, it is cache. There are caches involved: javascript cached scripts on your end, apache children that turn over at random times, also Memcache items. So sometimes a change (which in this case is to show that you've got a new IM by also altering the page title) doesn't go in all in one, as that requires a complete server restart with 502 errors during the time apache is warming up again.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

1 edit

1 recommendation

Kalford to Koil

MVM

to Koil
said by Koil:

It comes and goes.

uh oh. . . now you gone and done it.

Karma karma karma karma blinky (no) message sign,
It comes and goes, it comes and go. ..ooo...ooo...oes.
Chatting would be easy if a message was really there,
Read good and clean, not blinking unseen.

Haven't read any wicked PMs all day
And you used to be so sweet, I heard you say
That my love for PM's was an addiction.
When we hit reply our love is strong.
When you go (you go) you're gone forever.
You message sign, you make me strong.
You make me strooooo .....oo. . .oo. . . .ong.

Karma karma karma karma blinky (no) message sign,
It comes and goes, it comes and go. ..ooo...ooo...oes.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

GlennLouEarl to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I've got the DSLR Notifier 2 extension, so I don't really need the blinking icon and can hide it (or hover there to see it when it's "real"):
@namespace url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");
@-moz-document domain("dslreports.com") {
td:not(:hover) > #imc_out  { display: none !important; }
}

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

As I said further up, it is cache. There are caches involved: javascript cached scripts on your end, apache children that turn over at random times, also Memcache items. So sometimes a change (which in this case is to show that you've got a new IM by also altering the page title) doesn't go in all in one, as that requires a complete server restart with 502 errors during the time apache is warming up again.

Guess what....I didn't get a notification that you replied to my post.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to GlennLouEarl

to GlennLouEarl
Thanks for the tip GlennAllen. Will install it right now into my Firefox. By the way the bug seems to be gone now

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I'm seeing 2 issues when viewing forums. The 'page: 1 - 2 - 3' links for the first 3 pages work fine but the ones for the last 3 pages aren't working when there's an ellipse ("...") in the middle, and somewhere between 1/4 and half the threads are gone (entire days are missing/inaccessible); it's not a per-page display thing as going to the next page "jumps" quite a bit. This is verified by clicking, say, the last thread on page 1; the "previous thread" link goes to a thread that's not listed on either page 1 or page 2.

/M
40757180 (banned)

to justin
Click for full size
I left this topic open and left. When I came back it says it got 32 new replies yet there was in reality only 1 new reply to the topic.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

there were 32 new replies over a day, but obviously none of them were loaded.
justin

justin to mackey

Mod

to mackey
As I mention, just set the number you prefer in preferences, or wait a bit and it'll right itself.
40757180 (banned)

to justin
said by justin:

there were 32 new replies over a day, but obviously none of them were loaded.

Justin not possible. That reply in picture is near the bottom of the thread. Before the switch when it said 32 new reply it would mean there was 32 new reply. Being i read all of them except the last one, should it not have said 1 new reply?

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

1 edit

GlennLouEarl to justin

Premium Member

to justin
At the moment, it's getting "less right"... earlier, I was able to start at the top of the thread and see the link for page 17 (the last page), and when I clicked on it, it did take me to page 17, but the pagination then only showed pages 1-2-3...9-10-11. Now, when I go to the first page, the links shown are the same 1-2-3...9-10-11 (no way to get to the last page, #17).

Well, I'll give it some more time (can't get to the desired page(s) anyway).

Edit: Oh, wait... the posts per page changed from 20 (the previous default) to 30 (new default?), and I was somewhere in the middle (limbo) while that was going on?

Edit again: Yep, that was it.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

limbo sucks, sorry.
At some point I'll work out incremental deployment that doesn't involve limbo.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Well, I erroneously assumed that because the first page told me there were 17 total pages, then the last page would tell me the same thing. (Never assume.) No biggie.

Why change the default from 20 to 30 per page? (I know why some preferred 100 to 20, but 30 over 20 doesn't seem that significant.)

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

I guess since connections are faster and so on I thought 20 was a bit low.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

As we have reactions/feedback/suggestions to the changes and new stuff that aren't bug-related, where would you like us to post/send that?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

I'm going to combine these forums (bugs, new features, new features forums) into one and setup groups properly. In the meantime you can use a topic here, I'll setup shortly.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Where did the mod of mods fatness go? »/profi ··· =fatness
Acct is now inactive and he is listed as ex-mod.
Who is the new moderator of moderators?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

1 recommendation

justin

Mod

In short, I was supportive of the idea of rotating mod responsibilities but fatness decided he didn't want to continue as a regular mod so he took off. I hope he comes back but I know all about taking off so I can understand.

Anyway this topic is for move glitches, not a catch all.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I'm on my older XP Pro computer and I don't know if it is just on this computer but I am getting almost constant "error connecting to site" messages here. I have to try three times and then finally I get connected and I can navigate very briefly and then I get connection error again. It is very difficult to post or do anything here.

I was not having problems connecting on my Win 8 computer earlier.

I hope I can post this.

Oh, I cannot get rid of the message at the top on Sea Monkey 2.19 which I am using on XP. Clicking on the X does nothing.

Edit: This posted ok but then I got repeated "error connecting to site" messages. It's driving me nuts.
Mele20

Mele20 to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl
said by GlennLouEarl:

The image in your screenshot is 600px wide, which is normal (the default) if you haven't checked the box in preferences for 200px images/thumbnails.

I haven't visited Preferences in probably 4-5 years. I had completely forgotten there was a preference for size of thumbnails. I just looked (took about 15 minutes because I am getting almost constant "error connecting to site" messages here currently) and somehow that preference for small thumbnails got unchecked! I sure didn't uncheck it as I didn't even remember there was such a preference. No one else uses my computers so it is a mystery how that got unchecked.

I rechecked it (4 times because of the inability to connect here it wouldn't save) and finally I got it saved and now all the images in threads look normal.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

2 recommendations

justin to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
"error connecting to the site"
I've not seen that error message before, what result code is it.

From this perspective, looking back over hours, your IP has fetched these result codes

232 200
13 302
1 304
1 503

the 200 and 302s and 304 are all fine. The single 503 is a retry which can happen from time to time.

In other words it is a PEBKAC
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I've been away from the computer for awhile. Came back and just got another one. It's just Proxo's way of saying it can't connect to the site. I am having no problems on Sea Monkey on other sites on XP Pro. I saw that 503 one. These I am referring to are different from that one. These amount to time outs as I see the connection to i.dslr.net timing out. I retry usually three times and on the third retry I connect fast and the site is fast for a bit and then it happens again. It seems odd that it takes three retries usually to get a connection after a can't connect message. Why consistently three retries to connect? I tried Opera when I first got on the XP computer and it had the same problem. I thought maybe it was just something with Opera so I switched to Sea Monkey only to have the same problem.

I only have one monitor and no switch (I should get one) so it is a bit of a hassle to switch the monitor back to the Win 8 computer as I have to disconnect the monitor from one computer and reconnect to the other but I'll try to do that and see if happens there or not.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

I re-ran the same search for your IP and the number of errors delivered in response to your GETs/POSTs has not changed:

271 of 200 - 200 means page loaded ok
1 of 204 - 204 is also good
14 of 302 - 302 means item has not changed
1 of 304 - I forget but it is also good
1 of 503 - same "retry" as before

Sorry, can't help you. If i.dslr.net was to deliver a bad image or ignore a connection - which I doubt - it should not break your browser anyway.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Click for full size
Click for full size
I posted the comment above this one and then clicked on Postlist. I couldn't connect again. Connection to i.dslr.net timed out. I tried a second time and connected MINUS a style sheet.

The connection to the site is very inconsistent.

I just tried to upload a screenshot. It didn't upload and I got another cannot connect error. So, I hit the back button and got back to the text box for this post. I saw a small popup saying 502 error. That's Bad Gateway and not too likely something on my end. I will troubleshoot it on my end but not now...It's almost 5AM here....I have to get some sleep.

Edit: When I went to edit, it happened again. Just wanted to add that Ping Plotter shows no problems in the path. 132ms average ping with 14 hops.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to timcuth

Mod

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

Maybe this isn't worth mentioning and, if it's not, don't worry about it. But when I post to a thread, it takes a very long time to complete (about 45 seconds or more).

Tim

I tracked down what this was.
Turns out that the hosting providers DNS servers suck. So I switched to 8.8.8.8. When you post it does a reverse DNS lookup on your IP. For a small number of users this was taking ages. Why, I don't know and don't care as the google DNS server is fast.
justin

justin to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

So, I hit the back button and got back to the text box for this post. I saw a small popup saying 502 error. That's Bad Gateway and not too likely something on my end.

I re-ran the search, you did not get any new 502 errors delivered (for pages):

tail -10000000 access.log|grep 70.95.x.x| cut -d' ' -f9 | sort | uniq -c
307 200
2 204
16 302
1 304
1 503

I would imagine it is something broken in your setup, cache, anti-virus, add-on, hosts file, I don't know.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

The site is still painstakingly slow to navigate since the switchover. Pages timeout or take forever to load.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

No speed issues here. I'd do a traceroute and see if you're having issues reaching the new IP.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

The site is still painstakingly slow to navigate since the switchover. Pages timeout or take forever to load.

No probs here either...loads quite quickly.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to justin

Mod

to justin
said by justin:

When you post it does a reverse DNS lookup on your IP.

Isn't that a mistake.

Why not just record the IP. If there's a problem with a post, you can manually check that IP later. Doing lookups for all posting IPs seems unnecessary.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to kickass69

MVM

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

I was about to reply that it works at least as fast as before the move (similar to StuartMW See Profile and Koil See Profile) but after I read your post the next two dslreports.com page loads took a long time.
However apart from just now (and the temporary outages) the site has been fine for me.

There is news about a DDOS attack on Network Solutions (since Justin also mentioned slow reverse DNS lookups) which may indirectly result in slow page loads for some users while others remain unaffected.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Here's my traceroute to dslreports.com

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>tracert dslreports.com

Tracing route to dslreports.com [64.91.255.98]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms Hidden for security reasons
2 23 ms 22 ms 21 ms 10.240.164.73
3 23 ms 22 ms 21 ms 433be0bd.cst.lightpath.net [67.59.242.189]
4 43 ms 26 ms 26 ms ool-4353f98d.dyn.optonline.net [67.83.249.141]
5 28 ms 27 ms 28 ms 65.19.119.209
6 26 ms 31 ms 26 ms 64.15.0.226
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 27 ms 27 ms 29 ms te0-6-0-0.mpd21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
.0.153]
9 69 ms 53 ms 50 ms te0-7-0-3.ccr22.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
.43.110]
10 48 ms 54 ms 49 ms be2004.ccr21.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.5.
10]
11 47 ms 47 ms 55 ms te3-1.mag01.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.40.
182]
12 55 ms 62 ms 55 ms te2-2.ccr01.ord12.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.86.
166]
13 53 ms 54 ms 53 ms cogent-chi.liquidweb.com [38.104.103.166]
14 50 ms 48 ms 48 ms lw-border1.rtr.liquidweb.com [209.59.157.1]
15 61 ms 62 ms 62 ms lw-core4-te91.rtr.liquidweb.com [209.59.157.206]

16 62 ms 64 ms 72 ms lw-dc3-dist15.rtr.liquidweb.com [69.167.128.201]

17 53 ms 41 ms 39 ms www.dslreports.com [64.91.255.98]

Trace complete.

Looks pretty bad indeed.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by kickass69:

Looks pretty bad indeed.

whats so bad about it?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

I think you need a new sarcasm detector

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to swintec

to swintec
Pings in the 50s and higher tend to slow down sites a bit from my experience not accounting for distance.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

I use a program called PingPlotter as you can see/save results over time.
Expand your moderator at work

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to nwrickert

Mod

to nwrickert

said by nwrickert:

said by justin:

When you post it does a reverse DNS lookup on your IP.

Isn't that a mistake.

Why not just record the IP. If there's a problem with a post, you can manually check that IP later. Doing lookups for all posting IPs seems unnecessary.

by default posts get shown with ISP domain. Anyway with a decent or well configured DNS server it isn't an issue (it is just for posting) there is no issue when using google and never has been. Even with the other one, only 1 in 500 were weirdly slow.
justin

justin to kickass69

Mod

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

if you are pingable start a smokeping
then I can see whether its the route to you or your ISP or not (after a day).
it isn't a performance issue this end.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

The site is still painstakingly slow to navigate since the switchover. ...

I've noticed the same thing. Not all the time but more often than not.

Am not sure if I'm pingable and don't know what a smokeping is anyhow. Sorry about that.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

you are pingable, so just go to »/smokeping and pick 7 days or something, go back later on to see the accumulating results.

I had a quick look and the path to your IP is stable and the ping time is fine. Nothing is running slowly on this side because if it was, lots of people including the mods and myself, would notice.
justin

1 recommendation

justin to onDvine

Mod

to onDvine
In fact, assuming your address hasn't changed, I looked at the total response (time to complete the request) for your IP address over the last time horizon and the last 175 URLs - not images - you fetched averaged 153ms total with the slowest being 2.6 seconds.

Therefore it isn't the site itself even for just your login, and it isn't the current latency or packet loss on the connection to you. It might be something on your end that changed at about the time of the switchover.
justin

justin to kickass69

Mod

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

And for your IP address, 24.188.x.x, the average total response time since midday EDT to now, over the last is 233ms, with no issues either..
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I am running Smokeping. I see enough packet loss already on Kansas City and NY to likely be the cause of the problems I am having here with connection timeouts. I am running Ping Plotter Pro to dslreports.com and it is showing AVERAGE of 224ms to this site. Right after the switch, it was showing average of 130ms and I was having no problems. There is 5-6% packet loss showing on a Global Crossing hop just before the first hop on liquidweb. Perhaps, that router is just not answering ping (there is a tbone router a few hops before it that shows packet loss but I know it never answers ping...Global Crossing router in there is new since the move so I don't know if that is real packet loss or it ignoring ping).

All liquidweb hops up to the final dslr hop are showing 5-6% packet loss. The dslr hop shows no packet loss but is pinging quite high....currently at 176ms (to the midwest -absurd) and average ping of 224ms!

I unplugged the modem and router, waited a bit and plugged them back in and rebooted the computer and I still get almost constant timeouts here- usually status bar says "waiting for dslreports.com" and then finally times out. I have to try 1 to 3 times after that to get a connection and load time is slower than it should be when it does load.

I have made it a point to visit all 50+ sites that are currently on Sea Monkey tabs and surf around those sites today. Zero problems with any of them. Ping Plotter is currently pinging multiple sites and only showing problems with dslr site.

Look at the line quality test which took many, many tries (because of the timeouts reaching this site) to do:

»/pingt ··· /3063274

I'm going to do a direct connection now to see if this is the router acting up....but if it is the router then how come all other sites I go to I have no problems? Hmmm....how will an IP change affect Smokeping? Doing a direct connection will likely result in a new IP but not always.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to justin

to justin

said by kickass69 :
Im just curious if other people THAT HAVE SCRIPTS DISABLED also think its slow? (Its fast for me w/o scripts)

Im just trying to help Justin Narrow down what might be the problem...

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Okay. Thanks for checking. I wouldn't understand the "accumulating results" if I saw them and, as I said, it's an intermittent issue. No time outs but pages are loading slow as I reply to you (with previews). Not "painstakingly" slow, but not at the usual speed.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Ya I was gonna say in my earlier reply Sometimes it is slower for me also Justin but MOST OF THE TIME THE PAGES LOAD THE SAME SPEED as before the change..
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin

I'm on a direct connection using modem only now still on the XP Pro computer.

Ping Plotter Pro is showing 11% packet loss on final dslr hop. The problem starts with Global Crossing hop 9 and is affecting all hops after it which are liquidweb hops.

This is intermittent and that is why I can connect here after several tries and maybe be able to make a second and possibly even third connection at this site before I get the dreaded "waiting for dslr.com" message in the status bar and then a timeout and then usually two or three time outs in a row as I try to connect again.

My ISP is not going to do anything about it because the problem is originating, as far as I can see, at Global Crossing router hop. I didn't have BAD routing when you were with nac.net. The routing was excellent then. Ping times to dslr.com located in the midwest should NOT be a LOT higher than they were all the years you were with nac.net on the East coast.

This is a nightmare.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

from time to time routes can gain problems or clean up if there is a persistent issue with a transit I can raise a trouble ticket however it has to show up using a network tool for anyone to pay attention.

so far I have seen zero evidence in the logs for specific users writing here that pages are stalling. If there is packet loss it immediately shows up as server requests taking 500ms or more to be fulfilled.
to get me motivated to raise tickets you need to start a smoke ping that runs for a day and shows loss, best would be if it was directed at your ISP not your ip because that eliminates it as an end user issue and highlights it as a routing issue

failing that a screen shot of a route tool that shows the route and the accumulated loss statistics for ping www.dslreports.com on Linux it would be a long running mtr or similar on windows there are a ton
justin

justin to onDvine

Mod

to onDvine
said by onDvine:

Okay. Thanks for checking. I wouldn't understand the "accumulating results" if I saw them and, as I said, it's an intermittent issue. No time outs but pages are loading slow as I reply to you (with previews). Not "painstakingly" slow, but not at the usual speed.

All you have to do is start the smoke ping, then you can post again if you think your connection to the site has been flaky and anyone can look at the smokeping graph and interpret it for you.
justin

justin to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I'm on a direct connection using modem only now still on the XP Pro computer.

Ping Plotter Pro is showing 11% packet loss on final dslr hop. The problem starts with Global Crossing hop 9 and is affecting all hops after it which are liquidweb hops.

I ran an mtr to your IP and see the following:

test2.dslreports.com (0.0.0.0)                                           Fri Jul 19 00:25:23 2013
Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                                         Packets               Pings
 Host                                                  Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. lw-dc3-vlan803.rtr.liquidweb.com                    0.0%   238    0.7   2.7   0.5 210.8  14.7
 2. lw-dc3-core6.rtr.liquidweb.com                      0.0%   238    0.6   3.9   0.5 180.2  18.0
 3. lw-dc2-core4-ge2-16.rtr.liquidweb.com               0.0%   238    1.1   7.6   0.9 195.4  28.3
 4. lw-border1.rtr.liquidweb.com                        0.0%   238   80.6  16.0   7.3 287.7  33.2
 5. te2-6.ccr01.ord12.atlas.cogentco.com                9.2%   238    9.0  22.7   8.9 214.3  42.2
 6. te3-5.mag01.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com               12.6%   238    9.1  21.0   8.9 208.3  39.0
 7. te0-3-0-0.ccr21.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com            0.0%   238    9.3   9.7   9.1  12.0   0.6
 8. twcable.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com                    3.4%   237   49.2  50.2  47.8  94.6   5.3
 9. 66.109.1.67                                         3.0%   237  117.1 115.2 111.2 118.9   1.8
10. ae-6-0.cr0.sjc30.tbone.rr.com                       5.9%   237  111.5 110.5 108.4 112.7   1.1
11. ae-0-0.cr0.sjc10.tbone.rr.com                       3.4%   237  109.9 110.5 108.4 113.9   1.2
12. bu-ether13.lsancarc0yw-bcr00.tbone.rr.com           5.1%   237  112.3 110.4 107.6 113.0   1.2
13. ae-0-0.cr0.lax30.tbone.rr.com                       5.5%   237  111.2 112.8 110.7 114.9   1.0
14. 107.14.19.31                                        3.0%   237  112.7 113.0 111.0 114.9   1.0
15. agg1.kmlahi07-ccr01.hawaii.rr.com                   4.2%   237  162.2 162.2 160.5 163.8   0.3
16. tge9-1.hilihiee-cer01.hawaii.rr.com                 4.2%   237  163.6 164.2 162.4 225.0   5.4
17. tge18-10.bigihihilo-ars3.hawaii.rr.com              5.1%   237  172.1 184.4 161.5 779.8  49.5

This is enough to raise a trouble ticket with support, so I've done that.
justin

justin to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Look at the line quality test which took many, many tries (because of the timeouts reaching this site) to do:

»/pingt ··· /3063274

The line quality test runs from the same two servers it always did.
The move has not changed the results you get from that test!
In other words if you ran the test today and saw those results today, and we never moved, you'd see the same very poor results.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I have tried so many times to post a screenshot of Ping Plotter Pro pinging dslreports.com that I could scream. I cannot do it. If I am lucky, I can upload the screenshot but then the site times out when I try to re-preview so I can then post. So, I have to try to upload the screenshot again...that takes many tries as I usually get a time out as it tries to upload but when I finally get it to upload (very fast when it finally does it) I still can't post it as it times out on repreview every time.

I will try smokeping to my ISP.

I was running smokeping to my IP (now that I did direct modem connection I have a new IP so it has stopped I assume- I can't get that to load here either without trying many, many times so I haven't looked since I got the new IP) and it was showing considerable packet loss to Kansas City and NY but not to the West Coast.

The ping time is way higher now also than after you moved the site and I was having no problems. Ping time was an average 130ms (very nice) and now is averaging 175ms which is higher than it used to be most of the time to nac.net (average ping there was 143ms).

Maybe that router will get cleaned up without any trouble ticket needed. I'll leave Ping Plotter running after 24 hours and hope I can load a screen shot here if things are not better. (Or, maybe I will start seeing problems with other sites, if so, I will call my ISP).
Mele20

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

[
I ran an mtr to your IP and see the following:

test2.dslreports.com (0.0.0.0)                                           Fri Jul 19 00:25:23 2013
Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                                         Packets               Pings
 Host                                                  Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. lw-dc3-vlan803.rtr.liquidweb.com                    0.0%   238    0.7   2.7   0.5 210.8  14.7
 2. lw-dc3-core6.rtr.liquidweb.com                      0.0%   238    0.6   3.9   0.5 180.2  18.0
 3. lw-dc2-core4-ge2-16.rtr.liquidweb.com               0.0%   238    1.1   7.6   0.9 195.4  28.3
 4. lw-border1.rtr.liquidweb.com                        0.0%   238   80.6  16.0   7.3 287.7  33.2
 5. te2-6.ccr01.ord12.atlas.cogentco.com                9.2%   238    9.0  22.7   8.9 214.3  42.2
 6. te3-5.mag01.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com               12.6%   238    9.1  21.0   8.9 208.3  39.0
 7. te0-3-0-0.ccr21.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com            0.0%   238    9.3   9.7   9.1  12.0   0.6
 8. twcable.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com                    3.4%   237   49.2  50.2  47.8  94.6   5.3
 9. 66.109.1.67                                         3.0%   237  117.1 115.2 111.2 118.9   1.8
10. ae-6-0.cr0.sjc30.tbone.rr.com                       5.9%   237  111.5 110.5 108.4 112.7   1.1
11. ae-0-0.cr0.sjc10.tbone.rr.com                       3.4%   237  109.9 110.5 108.4 113.9   1.2
12. bu-ether13.lsancarc0yw-bcr00.tbone.rr.com           5.1%   237  112.3 110.4 107.6 113.0   1.2
13. ae-0-0.cr0.lax30.tbone.rr.com                       5.5%   237  111.2 112.8 110.7 114.9   1.0
14. 107.14.19.31                                        3.0%   237  112.7 113.0 111.0 114.9   1.0
15. agg1.kmlahi07-ccr01.hawaii.rr.com                   4.2%   237  162.2 162.2 160.5 163.8   0.3
16. tge9-1.hilihiee-cer01.hawaii.rr.com                 4.2%   237  163.6 164.2 162.4 225.0   5.4
17. tge18-10.bigihihilo-ars3.hawaii.rr.com              5.1%   237  172.1 184.4 161.5 779.8  49.5

This is enough to raise a trouble ticket with support, so I've done that.

I just now saw this as I have been spending time trying to post a Ping Plotter screenshot here.

Thank you for opening a trouble ticket. :) I am not happy seeing cogentco.com in there. Looking at that....no wonder that I am having problems!

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

1 edit

justin to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
You can upload to imgur.com then paste a link why knock yourself out.

there is more than just a persistent 3% loss to your IP involved in your issues, otherwise that test you ran wouldn't look so bad. A 3% loss is not impossible to work with. TCP is designed for lossy connections, to some extent. I'm hoping for an answer on their transit but I don't expect them to leap around over it because 3% isn't awful and it is the only thing I can see that is going on from this end.

also I would take issue that an extra 25ms, from 145 to 170, is "way higher". You're in Hawaii ! if you got to nac 25ms faster than you got to liquid web, it is barely any different in the scheme of things and irrelevant to whether the site appears to load faster or slower for you.
justin

justin to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
I have heard back
quote:
They have reported that it looks like an external issue, and that we are opening a ticket with our provider to investigate.
Perhaps it is with cogentco but I'm not holding out much hope they'll jump to fix it.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

I see you are playing with the reply box. At least, I have never before gotten this reply box inside the thread (but with expandable size) when I click "reply" so I assume this is new. That's neat how you have it now! I LIKE it. I see at the bottom that I could switch to full reply...never seen that before either.

Thank you for that link to imgur.com. I LIKE that site. Love the easy drag and drop!

»smoky20.imgur.com/all/

I had tried to upload to imageshack earlier BUT imageshack took forever to load and then I couldn't upload to it. It was the first and only site that recently I've had problems with except dslr. So, I ran Ping Plotter to it. Guess what ...cogentco all through the routing. Some cogentco.com hops along the way to imageshack are pinging in the 200's ms (although the final hop is pinging at 78ms) and the final hop has 3% packet loss. I see this as possible further proof the problem is Cogentco. I had to call Road Runner National Help Desk about an email problem and mentioned this dslr problem to the tech. When I mentioned Cogentco he said UGH and commented that he gets frequent complaints from RR users routed over Cogentco.

I ran another line quality test a few minutes ago and it is fine.

»/pingt ··· /3063291

If the problem is mostly cogentco, it could be the time of day affecting my connectivity to this site. It's 9:42PM here and midnight or later on the Mainland so maybe congestion on cogentco has cleared a bit? I'm still getting the problem here but it's not as bad as you can see from the screenshot the packet loss at the final hop to dslr has dropped some. But when you were with nac.net I didn't have problems from noon-5PM HST at dslr but then I had excellent Level 3 routing most of the way to the site.

Ahh...it's down to 2% packet loss now at final hop to dslr (second image) and ping time is MUCH better with current ping at 136ms. Maybe they fixed it? Or it is a daytime problem primarily.

EDIT: Well it timed out twice after I managed to post this. Then on the third try, it 63.942 seconds to load the edit box. So, while Ping Plotter looks better, the problem is still very much alive. UGH.

SECOND EDIT: I can't use the reply button now as I get 502 errors but when the new way was working briefly for me here I sure liked it. The "reply to OP" works, I guess, because it gives me the old full box with thread above not the neat new way.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

the site isn't delivering 502 errors ....
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Really? What's that I see then?

»smoky20.imgur.com/all/

I tried to upload here again and got a request for something I didn't understand. You can see it as the second new screenshot at the above link.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

1 edit

justin

Mod

"Smoky20's images are not publicly available."

When I say I look through the logs, for some recent time horizon, and look at the results delivered, I'm not making it up, or missing a bunch of stuff.

If the site was not delivering 502s or 500s, then if you saw something like an error page it was in your cache, not delivered by the site as a result to a GET or a POST.

From 22:00 hours last night, your IP received:

217 code 200 pages
2 code 204 pages
8 code 302 pages

AND THAT IS ALL, excepting images GETs, which I don't record.

This is why when you say you're getting this error page or that error page I have to check, because your setup is so baroque, I can't trust anything it does or shows.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 edit

onDvine to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I tried to start the smokeping and got the message in the attached graphic. It showed a different IP address that apparently isn't pingable.

Some pages are loading slow this morning but do load within 15-30 seconds. Am sure it will right itself soon so I won't worry about it now. Thanks for your time and attention.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

but -- it is pingable. At least right now.
I'm not sure why it would say that. Unless you are having intervals of blackout. Launch it anyway, then I can look at the data.

All requests in the log file for your IP address - from 9:16 am to 10:01am - were recorded by the server as complete, in a split second, with no page errors.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Just a quick test of new reply system.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to onDvine

Mod

to onDvine
Oh - ok I can see the issue.
Your ping is fine but you black out regularly (no ping). That explains the stalls from your side, and the message above.

There is a huge amount of packet loss (20%) to your IP address but it is all showing up at your IP, in other words it looks like your connection has issues. All the data gets to verizon but much vanishes just before it reaches your IP address.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 edit

onDvine

Premium Member

Since I am connecting, should anything be done? I don't understand this technology as well as most members. What you said is way over my head. I did start the smokeping, which now may be redundant. Anyhow...

Haven't noticed problems on line, generally.

Edit: If data is vanishing between Verizon and my IP address, is that something I should call Verizon customer support about?

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to justin

Premium Member

to justin
The quote button in the qreply box does nothing for me. I'm using Chrome with only Adblock installed (but it isn't blocking anything on dslr)

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Same here -- 'Quote' ...doesn't.
(Oh, yeah--using Firefox, no blockers not blocking anything.)

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

Click for full size
Yup. Nothin with FF 22.0.

Maybe it's a "smart quote" and only quotes "useful" stuff

FYI when pressing the small 'e' on the page count in the forum listing for multi-page threads (such as this one) takes me to a page with no posts.

e.g. For this thread I see 1 2 3 4 e even though I'm posting on page 5 right now.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil

Premium Member

Maybe it's a "smart quote" and only quotes "useful" stuff

Might as well just remove it entirely, if that's the case.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to Weirdal

Numquam oblitus

to Weirdal
Yes, that button doesn't appear to be working.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
TBH, it's never occurred to me to quote something in a quick-reply; that just wouldn't be "quick". TBMH, I never used the qreply button when there was one. (I figure working buttons will arrive later. )

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

Yes, that button doesn't appear to be working.

In full reply auto quote works. Not in QR.

Full reply is an abnormally wide box now.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

You say "abnormally". I say "delightfully".

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Full reply is an abnormally wide box now.

Uh oh. Mele20 See Profile has a pseudonym

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

1 recommendation

tmpchaos to justin

Numquam oblitus

to justin
New line monitors are apparently not generating graphs (will double check tomorrow).

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 edit

1 recommendation

EGeezer to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Update on DSLR.NET email - FYI

I'm now able to send and receive email VIA Outlook Express 6 and the 'Simple Mail' add-on for Firefox.

The SMTP authentication settings as posted earlier had been returning an NTLM login screen asking for user, password and domain. However, they now work. In OE6, I get a request to accept a certificate, and do so.

In more detail, here's what works for me.

In OE6:

Tools/Accounts/Servers tab
Both POP3 and SMTP are mail.dslr.net
Incoming mail server: full email address 9xxx@dslr.net) and password.
"remember password" checked. Other boxes unchecked.

Tools/Accounts/Security tab
Algorithm window - 3DES

Tools/Accounts/Advanced tab:
Outgoing Mail: Port 587, SSL button checked.
Incoming Mail: Port 995, SSL button checked

For Firefox 'Simple Mail' add-on:

Preferences/Accounts/General tab;
your user ID@dslr.net

Preferences/Accounts/"POP3/IMAP" tab;
Type: POP3
Host:mail.dslr.net
SSL/TLS checked
Port: 995
Authentication: default
login: Your user ID@dslr.net
Password: your DSLR login password

Preferences/Accounts/SMTP tab;
Host: Mail.dslr.net
STARTTLS button checked
Login: Blank. do not fill in
Password: Blank. Do not fill in.

NOTE that I needed to have blank login and password fields for the 'Simple Mail' Firefox add-on, otherwise mail sending would fail with a connection error.

Hope this helps.

EG

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

Tools/Accounts/Security tab
Algorithm window - 3DES

Not sure if you shouldn't just set that to "auto" (if there is such a setting). My email client reports this for encryption.
quote:
DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA(256 bits)

I'd rather AES256 over 3DES Just a bit harder for the NSA to crack.

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Did the sitestats page move or is it just gone forever?
»/sitestats/

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Update on DSLR.NET email - FYI

said by StuartMW:

I'd rather AES256 over 3DES Just a bit harder for the NSA to crack.

All I have as options are;
3DES
DES
RC2 at 40 bit, 64 bit or 128 bit.

I get a certificate acceptance request when I send from OE6 but not from the 'Simple Mail' Firefox client. I always accept the certificate, but I don't have an option to store it locally.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

All I have as options are;

Well that sucks but if you want to use OE6 I guess that's all you get. Better than nothing (plain text) I guess.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to justin

Premium Member

to justin

The new site isn't detecting if the device you're on is a mobile device. It used to be that if you went to the main page on a mobile device it would ask you if you wanted the full page or the mobile page. Also, the page width is not right on mobile devices if you browse the full site on a mobile device.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

jaynick to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer

Re: Update on DSLR.NET email - FYI

Thanks for the mail tip. I wasn't able to send till I reconfigured Thunderbird with your settings tip.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to justin

to justin

SmokePing started at around 2:00 AM Eastern Time.

»/r3/sm ··· dc914eac

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

i fixed the quote button.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

1 edit

EGeezer

Premium Member

Another Update on DSLR.NET email - FYI

As of this post, the settings for the Simple Mail Firefox add-on no longer work on send or receive.

Messages sent from OE6 complete without error, but go into the bit bucket out in space. Here's the SMTP log from a send in OE;

SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 220 mail.dslr.net ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
SMTP: 19:43:10 [tx] EHLO FRED
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 250-mail.dslr.net
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 250-PIPELINING
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 250-SIZE 10240000
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 250-ETRN
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 250-STARTTLS
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 250-8BITMIME
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 250 DSN
SMTP: 19:43:10 [tx] STARTTLS
SMTP: 19:43:10 [rx] 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
SMTP: 19:43:11 [tx] HELO FRED
SMTP: 19:43:11 [rx] 250 mail.dslr.net
SMTP: 19:43:11 [tx] MAIL FROM:
SMTP: 19:43:11 [rx] 250 2.1.0 Ok
SMTP: 19:43:11 [tx] RCPT TO:
SMTP: 19:43:11 [rx] 250 2.1.5 Ok
SMTP: 19:43:11 [tx] DATA
SMTP: 19:43:11 [rx] 354 End data with .
SMTP: 19:43:11 [tx]
SMTP: 19:43:11 [rx] 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 27E11778EC
SMTP: 19:43:11 [tx] QUIT
SMTP: 19:43:11 [rx] 221 2.0.0 Bye

EDIT - added - A Wireshark trap of a POP3 receive in 'Simple Mail' shows the issue occurs after the client sends a key exchange after the server requests it.

Perhaps changes are in process and this will go away *crosses fingers*.

Hope this helps! I can submit the Wireshark capture to BBR if you wish.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Reply button inside a post does not work at all now. I got another 502 request error when trying to reply to a specific post of yours. It is within the post I am trying to use reply button that is ONLY quick reply now but used to be regular reply? It is just an error having to do with getting a text box to reply in. I am on Sea Monkey 2.19 on XP Pro. So, I had to use Reply to OP button that does work.

I added the images at imgur.com to a public album...sorry, I didn't realize I had to do that last night.

What are those different codes (217, 2, 8)? Sorry, I am ignorant.

I'm still barely able to get pages to load here and have to try over and over.
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

the 217,2 and 8 are the number (quantity) of requests, as in
qty: 217
Code returned: 200's ( the code for success.)

this means you asked for a "page" 217 times and the server fulfilled the request successfully.

The server logs show what was done. When you successfully get a page, the log in justin See Profile's server shows a 200 code.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

I just clicked reply inside your reply Mele and it worked...

I do not like the WHITE SCREENS after clicking IM FEELING LUCKY/Post Now!..... Are you gonna fix this Justin please?? (Its quite annoying ---- The page doesnt load it stalls)

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

1 edit

GeekNJ to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Mele - you use a local proxy don't you? How do you know it's not the cause of your 502s? Your browser isn't talking to dslreports.com (or any site) if you're using a local proxy.

Does your proxy have a log that you can enable and monitor?

Edit: If you are using proxomitron based on some searches I did, according to »www.proxomitron.info/45/ ··· Log.html you can open up that log window and then start browsing. If you hit a 502, the details should be in that window. Of course, you can turn off proxomitron and eliminate the 502s if it is the root cause.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer

Re: Another Update on DSLR.NET email - FYI

I can receive just fine in OE 6. I got all messages on the server downloaded TWICE from dslr...lot of messages.

I can't send because of spamhaus rejecting the Road Runner address I was trying to send to. I don't have that problem on Win 8 computer because I just use Road Runner server for sending dslr mail, but there is no way to do that on OE.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Yep, looks like that changed slightly. By default, you get what used to be "quick reply." But when you click on that, there should be a link something like "switch to full reply." To me quick reply is kind of annoying because anything over a line or two get crammed into the page followed by a truncation message; I just wish without whipping up some Greasemonkey code that I could get "full reply" directly, such as a profile preference for it. Oh, well. Maybe in the future. After all, it's only one extra click so I can really easily live with it.
rchandra

rchandra to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I just wanted to say, maybe I don't exercise the site to its fullest, but for me the transition has been rather uneventful, and thanks. About the only thing that happened was I missed one monitoring report, but big deal, so what. I see I have the ones for 1-Jul and 15-Jul, and the graphs look fine.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

1 recommendation

19579823 (banned)

Yes It has been uneventful for me also until today.. Now I am getting blank pages after clicking FEELING LUCKY/POST NOW! (It just goes to a blank screen,doesnt reload the thread which causes me to have hit back 4 times to get back to where I am)

I dont know why ppl have to CHANGE WHAT ISNT BROKEN!!!!!

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

Yes It has been uneventful for me also until today.. Now I am getting blank pages after clicking FEELING LUCKY/POST NOW! (It just goes to a blank screen,doesnt reload the thread which causes me to have hit back 4 times to get back to where I am)

I dont know why ppl have to CHANGE WHAT ISNT BROKEN!!!!!

The exact quote of the buggy makers to Henry Ford:
»www.buggy.com/
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ

The 502 errors have something to do with "reply" button. Instead of getting a reply mini box I just get an error inside the post where I clicked on "reply" button. It is on the left bottom of the post and says "502 request error". I don't get that every time though. Sometimes, just nothing happens when I click on "reply" on Sea Monkey or Opera.

I now have to bypass Proxo on Fx and Opera on XP Pro to get the mini reply button to work and that is with using the latest Proxo configs from jjoe. I can report this to TUOPF.

On the latest SeaMonkey, even WITH Proxo disabled, the mini reply button doesn't work at all which means I can't reply to individual posts. The main Reply to OP button works with or without Proxo enabled. This is on XP Pro. I have not yet tested this on Win 8 but I will tonight.

On Windows 8, I have a direct connection on Opera. No Proxo at all. I have the same problems regarding failed connections here on Opera that I do on other browsers that are using Proxo. Plus, I was having NO problems on browsers using Proxo on Win 8 when this site was first moved. Everything was great! I was one of the first to connect to new site I think because Justin didn't even have this thread started yet when I connected and then ran Ping Plotter showing I was connected to liquidweb servers.

I was seeing 130ms ping times to this site and only 13 hops instead of 20 when located at nac.net. Page load times were about ONE HALF what they were on the old site. I had no problems with the test site either. Then suddenly, a few days ago, I cannot connect here and have to try over and over. I have not loaded a different config file on Proxo and, Opera on Win 8, has not changed and it doesn't use Proxo but is directly connected to the internet. So, I don't see how Proxo could be the cause of my connection problems to this site I see the problem in Ping Plotter where my pings to this site are now averaging about 180ms! That is absurdly high for servers in the middle of the USA. Pings on the old site at nac.net were usually around 143ms average (higher during evenings) and that is to the East Coast and with 20 hops. The problem is Cogentco I believe. I have had HORRIBLE experiences in the past anytime their crap routers were used to get me to some site. Routing to dslr in NY was via Level 3 from San Jose. It was excellent routing. Now I have garbage routing. My ISP says they do their best to have excellent routing to the East Coast because Hawaii is so far away. They said the worst routing will likely be to the middle of the USA because usually users are going to sites located on either coast. I have noticed, since I got RR in 2001, mostly mediocre experiences (not as bad as this current one here though) to sites located in Texas, Kansas, Ohio, etc.

Yes, I can use a Proxo log but that, with 50+ tabs open, is difficult to read as it is constantly updating and it uses a black background which is hard on the eyes (at least mine). I'd have to start a new instance of a browser with just one tab open and I'd have to shut down the other browsers. I can do it later, not now, but I can't see how Proxo could have anything to do with the problem. But it would be interesting to see what it says.

I left all three browsers running when I went to bed last night.
All three had tabs open to this thread's last page. SM and Opera showed NO activity in this thread when I got on the computer today. Ancient Fx 4 though showed about 12 posts added one by one as they were posted so the thread was up to date when I got on today and this was with Proxo enabled. Maybe something in Proxo was stopping the updating on the current SM and Opera browsers but works ok with the old Fx 4 on XP? I'll switch tonight to Windows 8 and see if I have the same problems with mini quote, etc on the all up to date browsers (including Fx 17.0.7ESR).

Fx adding each new post though raises interesting questions....why could that happen yet I have to try over and over to connect here? When I do get connected, I can usually click once or twice on this site and get the requested page. Then about the third click I get the cannot connect error and I have to try two to three times before I get connected again.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to 19579823

Mod

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

I just clicked reply inside your reply Mele and it worked...

I do not like the WHITE SCREENS after clicking IM FEELING LUCKY/Post Now!..... Are you gonna fix this Justin please?? (Its quite annoying ---- The page doesnt load it stalls)

I switched to your account and made a reply in devnull, pressed reply to get the quick reply box, switched to full reply, entered some text press I feel lucky, and everything was sweet.

Do you get "white screens" consistently feel free to use devnull to experiment.
justin

justin to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

The 502 errors have something to do with "reply" button. Instead of getting a reply mini box I just get an error inside the post where I clicked on "reply" button.

I stopped reading there because the server is NOT giving a 502 error (or any error) for the ajax request that fires off if you have javascript enabled. You can try the link yourself on (I would suggest) a different computer.

Look at the URL for a topic, then enter this url (where NNN is the topic or remark number).

/speak/remark,NNNNNNN?quickpost=1&ajh=1

for example ... »Topic for site switch-to-new-servers glitches

and you will receive a tiny bit of html (the quick post box), and not a 502 error.

I would suggest you install VirtualBox (free), and experiment with a clean sheet operating system and clean sheet default browser BEFORE posting here, and make sure that environment has a direct connection to the internet with no weird security proxies or other interfering tools.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I'm on an XP Pro machine with only 14% free space on the disk. I have FOUR virtual machines on this computer. I can start one of them. They use VMWare and the Vista machine uses the old Microsoft Virtual PC.

I will switch back to the Windows 8 machine later tonight. It has no virtual machines because I don't have extra license for Win 8. I have no interest in putting Linux on a virtual machine. I've done that in the past and prefer Windows with all its warts as I can use my programs on Windows.

I think all the small problems are mostly due to the CONNECTION problem. Leaving Proxo is not on the table for me as nothing else filters ads as well as it does or stops other junk on the internet. Windows 8 has NO security on it EXCEPT built in Windows Defender. So, we'll see how Win 8 is doing here when I have time to switch back to it. It was fine here until the connection problem began and then I switched to XP computer to see if it too had the problem and I have not yet switched back to Windows 8 computer.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

It would be impossible for connection problems to create HTML error pages that mimic web server error pages.
There is no code for timeout, it is up to the browser to display whatever when it can't reach something or stalls out.
502 means upstream server failed to respond (or respond in time) and is delivered by proxy servers, or by dslreports.com if the backend is down (which it isn't).

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Just tested my DSLR.net account on OE6 using the settings in my post; »Update on DSLR.NET email - FYI

Its working again. Here's the SMTP logs from the successful email send;

SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 220 mail.dslr.net ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
SMTP: 22:06:34 [tx] EHLO FRED
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 250-mail.dslr.net
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 250-PIPELINING
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 250-SIZE 10240000
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 250-ETRN
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 250-STARTTLS
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 250-8BITMIME
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 250 DSN
SMTP: 22:06:34 [tx] STARTTLS
SMTP: 22:06:34 [rx] 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
SMTP: 22:06:44 [tx] HELO FRED
SMTP: 22:06:44 [rx] 250 mail.dslr.net
SMTP: 22:06:44 [tx] MAIL FROM:
SMTP: 22:06:44 [rx] 250 2.1.0 Ok
SMTP: 22:06:44 [tx] RCPT TO:
SMTP: 22:06:44 [rx] 250 2.1.5 Ok
SMTP: 22:06:44 [tx] DATA
SMTP: 22:06:44 [rx] 354 End data with .
SMTP: 22:06:44 [tx]
SMTP: 22:06:44 [rx] 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 4AB8B778EF
SMTP: 22:06:44 [tx] QUIT
SMTP: 22:06:44 [rx] 221 2.0.0 Bye

I wish I could find the logs for Simple Mail. They could be helpful.
EGeezer

1 edit

EGeezer to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
The spamhaus is a policy block, not a blacklist block.

Road Runner won't permit direct sendmail from other than their mail servers unless you tell them you have a mail server and set it up in DNS.

Try the settings for OE6 in the post I linked. They are working for me for send and receive at this moment.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin to EGeezer

Mod

to EGeezer
nil See Profile said she would look at the certificate stuff for authenticated sending maybe she will look at this issue as well.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

3 edits

EGeezer

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply :) I know you all are busy.

If you need Wireshark traps or unredacted SMTP logs of tests, IM me with your preferred method of providing the files privately.

Re: certificate, I get a prompt in OE to accept a certificate from an untrusted root server, but I assume that's just because you're using a self-signed certificate. I'd store the certificate if I had a way to do so.

Although I can send in Simple Mail at the moment, I'm still getting a connection error when receiving; "mail.dslr.net:995, SSL Connection failed"

Packet 19 appears to be the last successful exchange. Here are the last five Wireshark packets.

16 5.740140000 192.168.x.x 64.91.255.98 TLSv1 252 Client Key Exchange, Change Cipher Spec, Encrypted Handshake Message

17 5.742024000 192.168.x.x 64.91.255.98 TLSv1 91 Encrypted Alert

18 5.742136000 192.168.x.x 64.91.255.98 TCP 54 redstorm-diag > pop3s [FIN, ACK] Seq=402 Ack=1602 Win=65535 Len=0

19 5.788428000 64.91.255.98 192.168.x.x TLSv1 304 New Session Ticket, Change Cipher Spec, Encrypted Handshake Message

20 5.788493000 192.168.x.x 64.91.255.98 TCP 54 redstorm-diag > pop3s [RST, ACK] Seq=403 Ack=1852 Win=0 Len=0

21 5.790353000 64.91.255.98 192.168.x.x TCP 66 [TCP Dup ACK 19#1] pop3s > redstorm-diag [ACK] Seq=1852 Ack=365 Win=16616 Len=0 SLE=402 SRE=403
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69

Pages timeouts / connection failures

said by kickass69:

I was noticing the same thing. Right after the switch, there were a lot of pauses. I assumed that was just database work during the migration. Today, it works fine... from work. (via earthlink business) At home, via Earthlink Cable (aka TWC), the pauses are still there. Looking at the packets, it's as if the server simply stops listening for connections (tcp connection never forms, SYN after SYN is not answered.) Sometimes the server gets around to answered, others it times out.

I have a filtered packet capture. (pm for a URL) 1m33s to connect!

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

can you do a fast ping with 1400 byte packets to see if they are dropped ?
it sounds like syn packets are vanishing for you I can't see why they would be selectively ignored there is no syn limiting or anything.
also another clue that it isn't systemic is you don't wee the big delays at work, only at home.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

"ping -s 1400" works just fine. Pings work when port 80 stops answering. And port 80 is answering almost immediately from from work, and from my home DSL (bellsouth). It's as if "syncookies" is kicking in (and not working) or a firewall with a connection rate limiter.

I'll have to rig something up to see if the TWC line at the office does the same thing.

[edit] I also thought it might be an IPv6 screwup, but it does it with IPv6 disabled. (XP and v6 aren't the best combination)

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

it's possible tcp ecn is screwing things up later I will turn it off and see if that changes anything. I will setup a tcp capture on your ip to see if we get multiple syns and don't reply. If it was syn overflow why pick on your ip and maybe a few others?
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

see pm for the addresses. My xp machine (and the rest of the company) will use the 98 address. My win7 machine will show up as 24.172.x.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

The spamhaus is a policy block, not a blacklist block.

Road Runner won't permit direct sendmail from other than their mail servers unless you tell them you have a mail server and set it up in DNS.

Try the settings for OE6 in the post I linked. They are working for me for send and receive at this moment.

Then why did I have no problems all the years I had XP computer with OE sending dslr mail using dslr mail server? Was that explained earlier in this thread and I forgot what with my connection problems here?

On Windows 8 computer, I just told Thunderbird to use a Road Runner mail server to send dslr mail. End of problem. Too bad there is not some way to do that on OE.
Mele20

Mele20 to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Click for full size
Well, glory halleluiah! The connection problem appears fixed at least for now. For the past two hours, first on XP and then on Win 8 computer, the connection problems disappeared. Three hours ago though, I still had the problems. Then they suddenly disappeared just as suddenly as they first appeared.

Ping Plotter shows ping time to dslreports to again be at 139ms instead of the 180ms and higher I was seeing during the problem period. No packet loss either now.

The site is flying. It is again like it was when the site was first moved and then I had noticed faster page loading here and I am seeing that again now. I use Extended Statusbar on Fx on both computers so I can see page load time and average speed....and things are flying here for the past two hours.

Too bad tomorrow is a Saturday as I'd like to see how it is on a weekday afternoon now as the worst was in the afternoons.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

Note that I do not see cogentco in that route anymore.

Also I heard from liquid web:
quote:
We heard back from Cogent and it looks like there is a peering issue between them and Time Warner: The latency and/or packet loss that you are experiencing to this destination is due to occasional high traffic with Time Warner.
So I guess they swapped routes around. I hope we're not going to play wack-a-bad-route for the next 3 years. I very rarely had cause to complain about routing to nac.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Aha! I had the feeling Cogentco was no longer in that route.

Eegads... I will bookmark this thread. If it happens again, I'll post about it (if I can) and I will contact Oceanic TWC Level 3 or national TWC on their support chat which is rather new at their new site and forums. I will point them to your last post in particular. That might be enough to get them to look into it and use better routing permanently so no wack-a- bad-route develops.

All the years you were at nac I rarely had connection problems here and, if I did, I had problems to MANY other websites also and the only site this time, besides dslr, was imageshack that I was routed to via Cogentco.

Thank you so much!

Edit: That wasn't "occasional"...it was constant for days 24/7 but worse in the afternoons...evenings on the Mainland so higher traffic then.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Still not generating anything.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Sometimes the #footer is showing up full width of the page with a purple background (»i.dslr.net/footer-glow2.jpg), sometimes not.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

May just need to fully replicate.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

3 edits

EGeezer to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Then why did I have no problems all the years I had XP computer with OE sending dslr mail using dslr mail server? Was that explained earlier in this thread and I forgot what with my connection problems here?

I have no idea. It is what it is. My guess is that OE6 immediately falls back after an unsuccessful handshake and tries to relay through RR.com.

If you want to know exactly what transpired in your case, check the OE6 SMTP logs and a Wireshark capture of the attempt. (see »www.wireshark.org/ for the application )

The SMTP logs can be found in the folder C:(or your default drive letter)/documents and Settings/(your windows user profile)/Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/ as SMTP.LOG

Did the settings I posted for OE6 work for you or not?

EDITS:

Note that this morning, the send hiccups on OE6 using the posted settings. I have to do a send/receive three or four times to get a successful send. Otherwise it returns the spamhaus policy block message.

As for Simple Mail, it's working this morning using the posted settings without issue.
(EDIT - at 11:21EDT, Simple Mail POP3 now fails with connection error to port 995 SSL at dslr.net.

Apparently things are still being tweaked on the server configuration, probably with the TLS/SSL and certificate exchange.
Fredra
Undesirable Alien
join:2000-04-08
Nepean, ON

Fredra to justin

to justin

Is there a "logoff" button?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Now seems to be under Members/Settings.
StuartMW

StuartMW to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

Note that this morning, the send hiccups on OE6 using the posted settings.

Nothing has changed for me. Just received and sent email.

I haven't changed a setting since

»Re: Topic for site switch-to-new-servers glitches
Fredra
Undesirable Alien
join:2000-04-08
Nepean, ON

Fredra to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Thanks @StuartMW

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to StuartMW

Numquam oblitus

to StuartMW
It's always been there; I believe the footer one will return.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to justin

to justin
Seem to be seeing an annoying glitch where there's a white "end" arrow icon next to each post. It's quite annoying when you are quickly scanning over all the topics you've posted to to see if there have been any replies by looking for the blue arrow.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers

Mod

That's not a glitch and takes you to the last post in the thread, it's to replace the old e.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to Mike Wolf

Numquam oblitus

to Mike Wolf
The 'end' arrow is designed to be exactly that- takes you to the end of the thread- at least after it's debugged.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Well that's certainly not good. At least with the "end" or "e" it doesn't make the blue arrow get lost in a sea of arrows. Very poor design and implementation. Please don't screw around with what works and people are used to.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Nothing has changed for me. Just received and sent email.

I haven't changed a setting since

»Re: Topic for site switch-to-new-servers glitches

Just curious, which mail client(s) are you using?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

4 edits

19579823 (banned) to justin

to justin

said by justin :
I switched to your account and made a reply in devnull, pressed reply to get the quick reply box, switched to full reply, entered some text press I feel lucky, and everything was sweet.

Do you get "white screens" consistently feel free to use devnull to experiment.
NO I dont get them everytime,i think its a mismatch URL that is causing it (When post now is clicked the whole URL is not sent so the server doesnt load it (IT DOESNT HAPPEN EVERYTIME thankfully))

EDIT:

It just happend when i clicked POST NOW! and this is the URL that was there

www.dslreports.com/speak/remark,28481703;really?enc=

NOTICE NOTHING AFTER "?ENC=" the server doesnt know what to do......

The URL should be

www.dslreports.com/speak/remark,28481703;really?enc=34urlL2ZvcnVtL3IyODQ1NDc5Ny1Ub3BpYy1mb3Itc2l0ZS1zd2l0Y2gtdG8tbmV3LXNlcnZlcnMtZ 2xpdGNoZXN-c3RhcnQ9NDIwIzI4NDgzMjQP

EDIT:

It only happens when I click reply inside a reply. (It doesnt properly add the session ID onto the URL (?enc=)

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Well that's certainly not good. At least with the "end" or "e" it doesn't make the blue arrow get lost in a sea of arrows. Very poor design and implementation. Please don't screw around with what works and people are used to.

No, please do. Nothing ever changes around here and it's about time. Can you not tell the difference between a dark blue arrow and a white arrow?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Indeed. Looking at those arrows, new time stamps for dummies, weird dark purple background at the bottom of the page and how page for preparing new posts has changed, it looks like it's a time to make a change in sake of a change
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Weirdal

to Weirdal

quote:
No, please do. Nothing ever changes around here and it's about time.
Yes nothing changes AND THE SITE STAYS GOOD!

Its time to mess it all up and make ppl upset!! (geez......Some people)

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Weirdal

to Weirdal

Not at quick glance, no.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

1 edit

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

I've been using some CSS for several years which changes the background color of that last cell when there are new messages for the topic. My code is for Firefox with Stylish if you want to try it out:
@namespace  url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");
@-moz-document
        url-prefix("http://www.dslreports.com/forum/") ,
        url-prefix("http://www.dslreports.com/postlist") ,
        url-prefix("http://www.dslreports.com/forums/fav")
{ /* New posts - last cell bg color */
.td_folder ~ .td_topic ~ td[title]:last-child
  { background-color: #fc4 !important; }
.td_folder ~ .td_topic ~ td[title]:last-child:hover
  { background-color: #bf7 !important; }
}

(I wanted to make it visible from across the room, where it was impossible to see that little blue arrow.)
Edit: update syntax for new stuff

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Ooh I very much appreciate it. Unfortunately I use Internet Explorer

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

The CSS itself (everything minus the @-moz-document declaration) should work with any browser, though I can't tell you how to implement it in IE. You could run Firefox Portable just for DSLR--wouldn't interfere with your default browser at all.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

1 edit

19579823 (banned) to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Internet Explorer lets you use your own CSS files.. (Internet Options/General/Accessibility) Create a .css CSS file on your computer and check that box and point it to that file and it should read it!

I have tried it on mine but havent been successfull (Maybe I didnt have the RIGHT css for the site I was on @ the time i dunno (A couple months ago I tested that feature.))

Good luck my friend

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to justin

MVM

to justin

Thanks for getting the dynamic IP line monitors working again.
J

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 edit

rexbinary to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Any luck on the flash speedtest? It's still not working on any of my machines, Windows, Linux, and Mac. Thanks!

EDIT: I did some digging, this URL works, the flash test:

»/sp ··· plugin=1

The actual link with the test when loaded alone displays a blank white page with no error.

»/fr ··· test.swf

Hope that helps. Please let me know what I could provide to help you if you like.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to justin

Premium Member

to justin
OK, so I posted into a thread, and received a IM stating that someone had responded to it, and if I click the link in the IM, I can see their response, but their response isn't showing up as the last post in thread (or at all for that matter).

My post: (permalink) »Re: Mech Warrior Online

His reply shows up here, but if you go to the overall thread (link below), and look at the last page, my response is the last post shown (as of 13:28ET)

»Mech Warrior Online

CTRL F5 refresh didn't correct it.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

That's likely a pagination issue because the thread is so long. Check this url: »Mech Warrior Online

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Not to be an idiot (it just comes natural), but what exactly does that mean? It's falling in between pages until more posts show up? I've been on decently long threads before, and all through that one, never noticed that effect.

What is the URL that you gave showing me? (Aside from the obvious, that its his post)

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
One of the threads that I'm in is acting funny thir's updates but I Can't see any of them.Can't post screen shot right now. (I'm on my iPhone)

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

1 recommendation

tmpchaos to Koil

Numquam oblitus

to Koil
That should show you the thread starting at post 2600. What sometimes happens is when some posts get delete, the page numbers don't correspond correctly with the actual posts. It's far more likely to happen with very long threads. I think that post should actually be the first one on page 26 (at 100 posts/page).

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
That bug has existed forever at DSLReports. And obviously the new servers have not gotten rid of it. There is no solution to it that I have seen. Only thing that works is to read the thread at
"http://text.dslreports.com"

Or wait until more posts come in like the other posts states.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to Koil

Numquam oblitus

to Koil
Sometimes changing the number of posts per page will 'fix' it. Try 30/page.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Yeah, I've got it set for 100/pp but its still not showing for me under normal page load...weird.

Oh well, maybe it'll show once more posts get added.

Thanks.
Koil

Koil to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Pagination it was! Thanks, tmpchaos See Profile!

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin to Koil

Mod

to Koil
It is time I figured that one out. The post counter getting out of sync with reality after moderation (sometimes).

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Click for full size
Got it.

The Flash Speedtest is not accessable via https://

This works:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

This doesn't:
https://secure.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

2 recommendations

justin to Koil

Mod

to Koil
I recalculated the reply count for every topic going back in time, so the Mech Warrior topic is ok now and all the others should be also.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil

Premium Member

Right on....thanks, Justin. You're not such a bad guy, no matter what the mods around here say about ya! (jk)