Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to Neotoma

Re: Alternatives to Yahoo's Free WebMail - Pros & Cons

Buy your own domain is the absolute way to do that and really not more than a couple of bucks a months if you look around.

Less if you want to serve it yourself.
--

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to Davesnothere

Re: GMX and AOL

I'm still testing other WebMail solutions, and am now also playing with Inbox.com (UK-based), and Zoho, since I finally found the signup page for the FREE Zoho version »personal.zoho.com/biz/login/pers···ogin.jsp (had to ask Google, rather than browse the Zoho site, as they want to steer you to a PAY version).

I rather like Zoho, and will update more about why.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

I have now rejected AOL because it does not let me POP other email accounts, and abandoned GMX because it does not let me set a simple FLAG/STAR for followup on desired messages in its folders.

I'm still fiddling with Inbox.com and with Zoho, and have allowed each of them to POP one or more of my other existing accounts, to see how each handles mail from those accounts.

There are initial pros and cons noticed in each of these (but not the same pros & cons in both).

I will be adding more about that ASAP.

Has anyone left Yahoo Mail for another WebMail provider, and is willing to share their opinions of the provider which they chose, and/or rejected ?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to Davesnothere

microsoft outlook claims no ads
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

Yahoo's & Microsoft's Free WebMails

said by Anonymous_:

microsoft outlook claims no ads

MS Outlook WebMail UI :

In addition to my longer-standing Yahoo accounts, I've had a HotMail account for several years, and am re-evaluating the function and feel of it too, along with all of the rest, because MS forced a UI change on us too, earlier this year IIRC.

But it DID have ads, the last time I was in there this summer - a whole stack of them, over on the right.

They are not necessarily Flash-based, but DO seem to chew up a lot of system resources on my PC (mostly CPU), when used in IE8 - and I prefer IE8 for most other stuff.

= = = = = = =

Yahoo WebMail UI's :

And, after a couple of months of using the Yahoo MOBILE login while I evaluated the other providers' WebMail offerings, I HAVE allowed my Yahoo accounts to 'Side-Grade' to the 'NEW' Yahoo interface.

One of my reasons for doing this was that the Yahoo MOBILE UI received a makeover too, about a month ago, and THAT change caught me off-guard.

I tried the new Basic interface at first (in IE8), then the Full one because the Basic was missing some features to which I had grown accustomed in their old Classic UI.

The new Yahoo Full UI is a horrible memory hog for me in IE8, so I went back to the Basic one.

Then, one day, after a power outage and forced shutdown/restart, I tried Yahoo in FireFox 14 on my XP beast.

It defaulted THERE to the Full interface (cookie ?), so I have been testing it in FireFox during the last couple of weeks, as it seems less memory thirsty there.

The new Yahoo Full interface gave me back the features/functions which had been stripped from the old Classic to more-or-less make the new Basic, plus and some more.

One welcome new touch is that it lets the user specify the tightness of the spacing of the message titles in the mailbox displays, so that you can get more of them on a screen without scrolling - The default is not the tightest - I think it's the middle of the 3 choices.

Yahoo's new Full interface actually doesn't work too badly, but I am still annoyed about their scanning to deliver targeted ads, though I was offered (and accepted) a page where it said that I could opt out of the scanning - I THINK.

»info.yahoo.com/privacy/ca/yahoo/···ils.html

This is the direct link to that page, where it also told me that my IE8 browser was 'unsuitable' for their context-sensitive ad methodology.

quote:
This browser currently does not qualify for interest based ads.

Ensure you are opted in to see categories that this browser may qualify for.

It remains unclear to me though, whether this observation on Yahoo's part means that they would or would not bother to SCAN my emails anyway.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

I am still testing other WebMail services.

In the meantime, Yahoo has discontinued the Tabbed WebMail interface which they forced us to adopt during July when they killed their Classic Mail, and which was my reason for starting this thread, and has now so soon forced YET ANOTHER interface down the collective throats of its users.

To new posters and readers :

Yahoo cannot influence what goes on in THIS forum.

There ARE some rules here (common sense, but best to read them please), and Google picks up on trends here pretty quickly.

You can register here for a permanent screen name (easy to do), but can also post as an 'Anon', and type in a name each time you post, though Anon posts often are delayed from showing until a moderator examines them.

Cheers !

Dave in Canada / Davesnothere

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Davesnothere

Fastmail, now owned by Opera.
»www.fastmail.fm/signup/personal.html

Used to be free, now their basic version is $ 10 year which is nothing.

Other options also available.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

Thanks - I will check.

And in keeping with the spirit of your current mantra, let me say that I'm not fond of Opera (music), but I won't fail anyone/anything by name association alone.

Actually, the Opera browser has some notable strengths and flexibilities - at least version 11.x does, which I can still use with Windoze 2000 Pro in an old IBM ThinkPad which I hesitate to retire as long as it continues to operate.

Then again FireFox version 10 also still runs in that environment.

anonome

@verizon.net

I've mostly come to the conclusion that email [services] have become little more than commodities (as I still have accounts with several). Whatever [webmail] interface provided by the service is seldom used by me in favor of a client--using IMAP or POP or both. Even so, I find Gmail to be the most useful due to its many settings and preferences and ease with which CSS can be used to modify the appearance; that being said, I use the interface primarily for occasional email management and not so much for reading or composing. If I care about anything actually related to the service itself, it would be the spam & malware filtering provided. This also favors Gmail as much as--and, usually, more than--any others.

UkWidowmaker

@as13285.net
reply to Davesnothere

Davesnothere so far what is ur favourite email provider based on your current experiences? for me personally i use gmail, but i think the interface is terrible, and not easy to block email addresses, i think i might go back to outlook, i have a yahoo account aswell, and i dont think its as bad as people are making it out to be. also outlook has imap support now so can use it with mozilla thunderbird which is a bonus.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

My Observations So Far

said by UkWidowmaker :

Davesnothere, so far what is ur favourite email provider. based on your current experiences ?

For me personally i use gmail, but i think the interface is terrible, and not easy to block email addresses, i think i might go back to outlook, i have a yahoo account aswell, and i dont think its as bad as people are making it out to be. also outlook has imap support now so can use it with mozilla thunderbird which is a bonus.

Very timely that you have asked this, as I was about ready to do a post to summarize what I have said earlier in this thread, and some more recent things.

PREAMBLE :

OK, I began with my ISP's eMail in 1994 or so, and used Eudora version 1x on Windows 3.1 with the Trumpet Winsock dialer (for which I wrote my own dialing scripts), and also used the Netscape browser, starting with version 2 or 3, IIRC.

I progressed thru Windows 95 & 98 which had their own dialers, and tried each version of IE browser which evolved, but mostly keeping Netscape, and continued using the Eudora email app for my ISP email account, newer versions only when necessary to match Windows compatibilties, and added Netscape Mail as WebMail at some point.

Then, I added Yahoo's WebMail either in 2001 (earliest saved messages), or a bit earlier on without using it much, and it gradually became more of a day-to-day email service for me, along with the ISP account (which I kept as eMail only after switching ISPs, accessed thru various WebMail interfaces which were offered as time passed).

Yahoo did not change their WebMail interface much for many years, and the small 'c' conservative in me liked that.

WebMail was more and more my norm, for those and any subsequent accounts, using Eudora more as a backing up tool than as an active app, and never backing up my Yahoo account(s) until only this year.

RECENT HISTORY :

My old ISP was bought out earlier this year and the new owner changed the WebMail interface to a less friendly one in order to be the same as for their existing clientelle.

Next, Yahoo announced by multiple email notifications that they would be shutting down their CLASSIC interface, which eventually happened on July 8th, 2013, after nearly a 3 month warning, forcing us all to a new interface which they had already begun in 2012 December, and to a new ToS which said that we had to agree to let them scan our emails for targeted AD content, or else close our accounts and leave (other DSLR threads predate this one regarding those issues).

MY REACTIONs :

I backed up my old ISP account once again to offline with Eudora POP, shuffling each folder's contents in and out of my inbox, and soon thereafter did the same with my Yahoo accounts (2 of those by now).

THIS is when I began to look at who else offered Free (and/or low cost) WebMail accounts.

I already had a HotMail account from 2007 or earlier, and by chance had a GMail account which came with my testing of their cloud-based apps last year (though Google did not tell me so at the time).

I participated in some other Yahoo-related threads here, and then began the current one.

WHO's WHO ? - aka 'The TRIALs'

Unless I already had an account there, for each provider which was tested, I opened a new FREE account (or a TRIAL one if possible at any PAY services), so that I could examine and use each interface first-hand.

GMail (gmail.com) was among the first to be disqualified, in part because they had already been scanning emails for AD content, the same as Yahoo would begin, and especially because their interface would nag me to install a newer browser, which was none of their damned business to do, and I could not disable the nag.

HotMail (hotmail.com , live.com , and outlook.com) had changed to the newer Outlook.com WebMail interface earlier this year, reeking of their notorious Windows 8 look and feel (I still do like SOME things about this new web interface, but not others), and it has now become very much a CPU resource hog, no doubt at least partially due to the column of several ads at the right side.

Therefive, HotMail / Outlook will not get promoted to be my new primary WebMail provider, though I likely will keep the account which I already have there, as I have enough changes on my plate already with two Yahoo accounts and my old ISP's account both pending.

Yahoo PLUS (yahoo.com or yahoo.ca) at $20/year (now renamed to 'Ad Free Mail' and price bumped to $50/yr), first got a 'FAIL' from me during the Summer because it was not free, and now, more importantly because Yahoo crippled its interface in October in the exact same manner as they did to their Free WebMail product at that time - and of course due to the accompanying price bump.

Here is an earlier summary post about the above three providers from the current thread : »Re: Offline APPs , and which includes several links to other related threads.

Onward....

HushMail (hushmail.com - Canadian) received an early 'FAIL' grade from me, due to the small capacity (25MB) of their free accounts, but may be revisited as I am now considering some PAY services.

GMX and Mail.com (gmx.com - Germany, and mail.com - currently of same ownership and interface) each got a 'FAIL', because each forgot to include something so simple and basic in their otherwise sophisticated interface - The ability to add a STAR or FLAG to a Received Message, to make it stand out from others in its folder after reading it.

As I began to find some providers which let me proceed past analysis of their interface functions, features, and layout, what became the next issue was how to bring in my messages from my Yahoo accounts, so that they would still be available online from any PC.

Some of the above choices claimed to allow this, but had been failed by me for other reasons - C'est la vie.

AOL WebMail (aol.com) has a very nice interface these days, somewhat reminiscent of the Yahoo Classic one, and can be config'd to use your browser's tabs to hold each message which you may open or compose. - BUT, there is no method in place to let the new user IMPORT mail from a previous account elsewhere, such as from Yahoo in this case, so a 'FAIL' to AOL.

Continued in next post....

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

Re: My Observations So Far, Part 2

....Continuing :

In this next-linked post from the current thread, I issued some compliments to Yahoo's then-new interface.

»Yahoo's & Microsoft's Free WebMails

PLEASE do understand that this post was made during September 2013, regarding the Yahoo WebMail interface which was first introduced in Dec 2012 as an option, and subsequently forced upon us in July 2013 (and which included the TABs about which we are hearing a lot of laments about losing lately), and was NOT about their newest interface, which itself was forced onto us WITH ZERO WARNING during Oct 2013, and which as NO TABs and has significant reliability issues (aka bugs).

=============================

This post and thread is a work in progress, and I will be adding info about the below providers ASAP :

Inbox.com (Free and Paid) inbox.com (UK / US)

Zoho Personal (Free) and Zoho Business/Organization (Free and Paid) zoho.com (India / US)

RunBox (Paid) runbox.com (Norway)

FastMail (Paid) fastmail.fm (Australia / US) now is owned by the Opera browser people, AFAIK

EuMX (Paid) eumx.net (Budapest, Hungary)

= = = = =

IMAP - general access, and importing/migration - what I have learned so far about IMAP vs POP

= = = = =

Some well-known WebMail Interfaces used by some providers :

RoundCube

SquirrelMail

=============================

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

This page (and its linked branches) seems to be useful to some degree :

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison···roviders

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to Davesnothere

One more paid provider to add is PolarisMail of Montreal, Canada.

They start at $12 per year, paid in advance.

Mailboxes start at 25GB.

There are multiple choices of WebMail interface, including the popular open-source RoundCube.

Also there is new provider Vivaldi of Iceland, run by former Opera Mail folks, as Opera Mail is shutting down (or already has).

So far, Vivaldi is FREE, with a 5GB capacity mailbox, and uses the RoundCube WebMail interface.

They have free discussion board and blog services too.

For anyone who does not want their mail to be on a server in USA, both of these qualify.

(BTW, otherwise respected and popular FastMail of AU has their servers in USA, and is once again no longer part of the Opera company.)