share rss forum feed

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

'Beware the Batman' - New cartoon series

Batman returns to TV in a new animated series, debuting July 13th on Cartoon Network. Looks like it's completely CGI.

quote:
A cool, new take on the classic Dark Knight franchise, Beware the Batman incorporates Batman's core characters with a rogues gallery of new villains not previously seen in animated form. Along with backup from ex-secret agent Alfred and lethal swordstress Katana, the Dark Knight faces the twisted machinations of Gotham City's criminal underworld led by the likes of Anarky, Professor Pyg, Mister Toad and Magpie.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IVJH3stuu0

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

I'm interested in seeing this, but I still don't think they ever should've cancelled Green Lantern The Animated Series, and Young Justice.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

said by Alpha Phoenix:

I'm interested in seeing this, but I still don't think they ever should've cancelled Green Lantern The Animated Series, and Young Justice.

You're absolutely right. I don't like that type of animation as it looks fake to me. At least Spiderman is still on .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to Stem Bolt

Watched the first episode today. Wasn't BAD, it's definitely better to me than the last two Batman cartoons, (Brave and the Bold, The Batman) The animation doesn't seem as good as GL's was, but it's not overly bad. Batman sounds decent too.

I don't care for the younger, gung-ho Alfred, and the obvious Robin doesn't do anything for me either, but we'll see as it goes along

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Stem Bolt

I watched the premiere ep with my son yesterday afternoon.

Not bad IMO. I'd say its a poor substitute for Young Justice but a significant improvement over Green Lantern. So it falls in-between. Teen Titans go is obviously pandering to a much younger audience and I have no interest in it but my kids seem to like it.

So overall the new lineup is a bit of a step down,.......

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to Alpha Phoenix

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Same. I'm honestly hesitant to watch it because of the way CN handled YJ and GL. I really liked both of them.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

I thought GL was fantastic! And I really liked YJ, but thought GL was the better of the two shows IMO.

Watching Batman now because there's nothign else on that interests me. Can't wait for The Legend of Korra to come back on.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Alpha Phoenix:

I thought GL was fantastic! And I really liked YJ, but thought GL was the better of the two shows IMO.

Watching Batman now because there's nothign else on that interests me. Can't wait for The Legend of Korra to come back on.

Ha! Me, too. My kids have been watching the original series and Korra on Netflix, so I've gotten to see many episodes a few times.

But I do need to check out the new Batman. I only stumbled across a couple of GL episodes here and there, and now that I have heard so many good things about it, I guess I should dig it up on Netflix or wherever and watch it from start to finish.

--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Stem Bolt

I tried watching it. I won't complain about the direction of the story. I am used to comics and always love small alternate arcs, so I can live with what they did to the story... but the CGI just made me cringe. It looked very unnatural and stiff to me. The style they picked feels completely out of character with the mood and the story. I really wanted to watch it but just could not enjoy it.

And that's coming from someone who loves CGI (Reboot was one of my favourite shows!)

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Stem Bolt

Watched the second episode,....

Some people might complain about the animation style but it looks fine to me. TV usually has a lower quality then movie animation and this is no different.

I must say though that I really like the images / model they used for Magpie and all the female characters,......

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Stem Bolt

Has this show been canceled?

»www.themarysue.com/cartoon-netwo···comment/

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

Probably. It would be nice if CN put the time into getting feedback on programming from the people that take the time to watch it. You might not watch it every weekend, life gets in the way, but you DO take an interest in it.

Personally, I wouldn't miss it if it were cancelled, as it didn't really do anything for me. A Batman series, without a Joker, is kinda boring.

On the flip side, I'm actually LOVING TTG!, far more than I originally thought I would. It's a nice, simple, funny 15-minute show that makes me laugh. Having said that though, I wish they would rerun YJ or GL on DC-Nation at least. They probably won't because it's a cancelled series, and you don't want to leave a new crop of people hanging when they just end again.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Be···episodes

It seems that episodes 12 & 13 were never aired on TV but were on the DVD. I found them via alternative methods.

According to Wikipedia, episodes 14, 15, & 16 aired in New Zealand, but I can't seem to find them online. Anybody got a link for streaming? If so, please post it up in here.

If anyone has a link for alternative methods to get those episodes, please PM me the link(s). Thanks!
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

FYI, episodes 12-17 are available online, for those of you interested in getting them.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Stem Bolt

Is this the first Batman animated series that has gotten "stealth cancelled" before without all its completed episodes shown?

I can't recall any other Batman animated series that sank so quickly from the public view...

Well... *maybe* The New Adventures of Batman & Robin that Filmation did, but that got its thirteen episodes shown on TV before disappearing.

NefCanuck

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Stem Bolt

Anyone know if this is it for this show, or if it will be coming back at some point in the future? Seems like it went the way of Thundercats.
--

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to Stem Bolt

Toonami will begin airing this next weekend at 3AM, so those of you that are Toonami fans can check it out. Don't know if it's replacing GitS or what, but that's what is on currently at 3AM.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

I already saw the rest via other means.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to Stem Bolt

I can't watch this, the new style cartoon is bad enough, this is far worse.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
reply to Stem Bolt

i wonder if cgi has matured to the point where it's cheaper to do than animation,
or that cgi is preferably to a series you want to tie into an associated video game.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Stem Bolt

Looks like they gave this series the same treatment as GL and YJ? Glad I never watched an episode. WTF is up with Cartoon Network and these DC shows?
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by bionicRod:

Looks like they gave this series the same treatment as GL and YJ? Glad I never watched an episode. WTF is up with Cartoon Network and these DC shows?

A Time Warner company, which iis owned by Turned Broadcasting, which in turn is owned by Time Warner, which also owns DC.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius