No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Mr Neutron

Re: Alternatives to Yahoo's Free WebMail - Pros & Cons

said by Mr Neutron:

I'll be laughing uproariously if the motivation behind Yahoo's recent shenanigans wasn't simply to come up with a way to put more ads in front of eyeballs, but was actually designed to inconvenience/annoy the free service end users to the point where they would switch to the paid service just to "stop the pain," so to speak, thereby filling Yahoo's coffers....

Interesting, yes, but that was not my point in bringing it up this time (though it WAS so on several other occasions why I posted about Yahoo's possible motive, including posts on DSLR, on a British message board, and on the Yahoo Answers site).

THIS time, I was simply making an attempt at an objective comparison between Yahoo's paid service and another paid service which I am examining, and oddly enough, the Yahoo one seems to score some points, at least on price.

But the jury is still out on the other issues of which we bitch, and whether and how much Yahoo's paid service is encumbered by them.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by Davesnothere:

....But the jury is still out on the other issues of which we bitch, and whether and how much Yahoo's paid service is encumbered by them.

According to the below-linked article, the Paid version of Yahoo Mail has received much the same interface changes as the free one has, and the only comment below the article is a negative one - Tip of the iceberg, I would say.

»news.techworld.com/applications/···-8-apps/

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

said by Davesnothere :

...According to the below-linked article, the Paid version of Yahoo Mail has received much the same interface changes as the free one has, and the only comment below the article is a negative one - Tip of the iceberg, I would say.

»news.techworld.com/applications/···-8-apps/

I can confirm that is true regarding the paid version.

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

quote:

So is it accurate to say that shelling out for the paid version of Yahoo mail won't yield any significant advantage over the free version? From what I can make out, that seems to be the case. However, I do not want to overstate anything here.
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·callwithus
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

I think that Outlook provides a relatively decent alternative to Yahoo and over the next few months, I will be moving my stuff over there.
The free version of Hushmail is practically useless. The 35$ version has only 1 GB storage. If you want to have something good you have to take Hushmail business for 63$/year plus set up fee. They also have some options which can ad a few hundred $ to the bill, like e-mail archiving or passphrase recovery.
Just too expensive for me.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to Mr Neutron

said by Mr Neutron:

quote:

So is it accurate to say that shelling out for the paid version of Yahoo mail won't yield any significant advantage over the free version? From what I can make out, that seems to be the case. However, I do not want to overstate anything here.

Overstate away !

Those of us who DO bitch and complain must compensate for the silent majority who simply bend over and drop trou', and those who WOULD complain, but do not know to post here nor anywhere else significant.

The screenshots of the interface in that article look like what I have seen during the brief period when I took Yahoo's 'Side-Grade', back when we still had ways to reverse it.

Here are some 'HIGH'-lights of the new interface, from my perspective :

(1) Half as many messages showing at a time on our already shorter screens

(2) Important function buttons missing

(3) ALL messages loading at once instead of paging (THAT's what slows it down, BTW)

(4) Single click opens a message instead of only selecting it

(5) No way to turn off the preview pane anymore

(though admittedly some other WebMail services have followed M$ down the rabbit hole on THOSE last two security breaches presented as 'conveniences').

Feel free to add what YOU have noticed, folks !

= = = = = = = =

BTW, I'm not sure about what's in the ToS for Yahoo PLUS.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to cb14

said by cb14:

I think that Outlook provides a relatively decent alternative to Yahoo and over the next few months, I will be moving my stuff over there.
The free version of Hushmail is practically useless. The 35$ version has only 1 GB storage. If you want to have something good you have to take Hushmail business for 63$/year plus set up fee. They also have some options which can ad a few hundred $ to the bill, like e-mail archiving or passphrase recovery.
Just too expensive for me.

Yes, I pretty much agree with all of your observations, and have been testing and considering Outlook for the past month or so.

I also opened a free HushMail account yesTURDay to check under the hood.

A question though - About Outlook's 'ALIASes' :

When you add one to an account (which seems only to be an extra email address instead of Yahoo's definition for Alias, which is even less), is there a way (or not) to also establish an alternate NAME to go with each alias, and still have them share the same mailboxes, or must I setup a completely separate account for each instance where I want to use a different name ? (in which case I cannot share the same mailboxes in the way that Outhouse Express used to allow offline even with multiple completely separate email accounts)

I would think that the whole point of establishing an alias would be so that some folks would not know who you are, and having the same name with a different email address would not accomplish that.