All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
techfuddle
join:2011-06-08
Carmel, NY

techfuddle

P2V a Domain Controller - Worth the hassle?

I have a project coming up for a network of about 50 users that has two domain controllers running Windows Server 2003 Std.

DC1 - Active Directory, DNS, Apps, SQL, Files, Printing, etc (main server)

DC2 - Active Directory, DNS

The DC2 machine is heavily underutilized (the server's specs are massive), so I would like to convert it into a Hyper-V host and make the DC into a VM to give some room for adding another VM to test a new applications.

I was thinking of going to the P2V route, but from what I read online it seems like maybe just demoting the old DC and promoting a new VM would be easier. Any thoughts?

The only other thing is that I also want to migrate to Server 2012, so I would be upgrading the DC to 2012 after I P2V it.

If I wanted to just create a new clean VM, could I load it up with 2012 and promote it if the domain is currently a 2003 domain? Or do I need to do something to the other DC first?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

You'll have to do forest prep stuff most likely

just some scripts and stuff that update the shcema

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k to techfuddle

Premium Member

to techfuddle
Demote it, remove it from the domain, rebuild server as Host, and then build new DC. It's probably just as easy if not easier than doing a P2V, especially if it's just a DC and nothing more.

As DarkLogix See Profile said, if you want to build a new 2012 DC you'll need to run ADPrep on DC1 to prep the forest and domain with the new schema for 2012. Not a big deal to do.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to techfuddle

Premium Member

to techfuddle
Since DC2 only has AD and DNS, demote it, remove it, and start over. Rebuilding a DC is pretty mindless when it's running basic services like that.

If you do load 2012, there will be some prep scripts you need to run on, but they are simple and pretty quick.

hairspring
join:2007-11-23
Oakville, ON

hairspring to techfuddle

to techfuddle
Sounds like DC2 might be a great candidate for a Server Core install.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to techfuddle

MVM

to techfuddle
I agree on rebuilding them. Especially if you can upgrade to 2008 R2 with the latest service packs and such. 2003 is on its way out when it comes to support.

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL

jay608 to techfuddle

to techfuddle
Another vote for rebuild. Change it to some sort of VM host, put your DC on it and an few of the other things as separate servers. A DC really shouldn't be running anything other than the DC/DNS services imo.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler to techfuddle

Premium Member

to techfuddle
P2V never works as well as a fresh install; demote and reinstall.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by fcisler:

P2V never works as well as a fresh install; demote and reinstall.

QFT

You generally end up with extra reg entries and sometimes windows gets hung up on some odd things, like an IP assigned to an adapter thats not there anymore.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Badger3k

to Badger3k
said by Badger3k:

Demote it, remove it from the domain, rebuild server as Host, and then build new DC. It's probably just as easy if not easier than doing a P2V, especially if it's just a DC and nothing more.

As DarkLogix See Profile said, if you want to build a new 2012 DC you'll need to run ADPrep on DC1 to prep the forest and domain with the new schema for 2012. Not a big deal to do.

+1

DCs are too easy to build.

Just install DNS first and get the zones in sync before dcpromo.

Blob

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to techfuddle

Premium Member

to techfuddle
Did this a few weeks ago in the office. Much, much, easier than P2V. Got the DCs running on ESXi, migrated roles from old DC to virtual DC, removed old DC, done.