Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

Stuck Ventilator Door Merc Marquis 99

Hey all. My in laws have the above car with intermittent functioning A/C. The compressor is making cold air, but the little door inside the ducts is either sticking in the "non-AC" position or the solenoid/servo that moves the door between heat/AC/vent is on its last legs. 51K miles.

So far makes sense. But this thing is apparently so deep in the dash/firewall complex that it's 6-7 hours of labor to fix it. The mechanic has said that the compressor and refrigerant are fine.

Anybody know of anything to try to loosen this thing up using less involved techniques? I have not seen the car so if there is a place to bang on with a rubber mallet or any type of substance to spray in the system, I don't know.

Any advice?
joel321
join:2013-04-13
USA

1 edit

joel321

i have a similar problem myself. for me i found the location.

in the passenger where the right legs rests, there is a vent that opens and closes.

the issue i have is that it opens fine, but closes about 70%...plus i can hear it squeak when it operates.

i'm actually thinking of covering all exhaust ports with something like square pieces of cloth to catch excess.

turning on the blower motor and spraying some non toxic oil through the intake. maybe some type of lubricating spraying oil that may be used at a hospital (if there are any)...

but i have not thought that through yet. i have that on a to-do-list.