join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Good way to shield a genset from the weather

My solution

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Frink I hope you have holes for the exhaust and the heat....
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

Frink
Professor
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ

Yes it is open on all sides, and that front panel is hinged to allow the plugs to sit in the set.
Expand your moderator at work

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Frink

Re: Good way to shield a genset from the weather

Don't forget that you will have to add fuel every 6 to 10 hours typically. Now if the generator is converted to natural gas, that generator bunker in the back yard looks great. However it would not be so good in the front driveway.

In the driveway is really good for when you have to go out and get more fuel. Carrying fuel to the back yard in the rain would be no fun. I have wondered if it would be easy to add a connector to let the car fuel pump pump fuel from the tank to a generator.

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

As already mentioned, any enclosure type box can lead to problems for a gas generator. Gasoline generators produce a lot of heat when running and the gas in the gas tank can boil!

I once made a nice wood enclosure (I thought) for my gasoline generator - had a ridge vent, had openings on all side just under the slopped roof and I even installed 2 box fans powered off the generator on 2 sides of the enclosure.

As a test I started the generator and set back to watch it - after about 20 minutes I noticed heat waves coming from the roof and then noticed what looked like fumes also. Quickly shutting the unit down I could tell the gas in the tank had been boiling!

Be careful!

Frink
Professor
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ

Thanks for the tip! My setup lasted 8 days during Sandy...so I am confident in it at least with the model I have.