how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nor_cal1980

join:2013-07-11
Lodi, CA

what modem for att u-verse?

I ordered uverse internet this morning. Tomorrow it will be turned on. They are sending me a self installation kit along with a modem/router for $100. If I buy my own modem and send thiers back I won't get charged. Plus I don't have to wait to get the modem to access my new service. I can go to best buy and pick one up and have internet tomorrow. Problem is I have no idea what kind of modem to get. I already have a wireless router. Can I just pick up any cable/broadband modem? What modem do I need to buy? Nobody seems to know the answer to this question at att or best buy.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits
No retail DOCSIS cable modem nor retail xDSL modem will work.

Only AT&T provided modems designed for U-Verse will work with U-Verse internet services. That being said, there is a secondary market for the equipment at places like eBay/Craigslist

As far as what equipment is compatible, depends on which "flavor" your U-Verse Internet service is.

If you have IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse, the compatible customer owned modem models include (assuming they have current firmware versions): 2Wire/Pace 2701 HGV (black & gray model, NOT the white model), Motorola 2210 (the black model, NOT the gray model), Motorola NVG510 (black in color), or 2Wire/Pace 5031 NV

If you have FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse, the compatible customer owned modem models include (assuming they have current firmware versions): 2Wire/Pace 3600 HGV, 2Wire/Pace 5031 NV, or Motorola 2310

Do not acquire a 2Wire/Pace 3800 HGV or a 2Wire/Pace 3801 HGV via a secondary market for U-Verse -- those modems are not end user owned and remain property of AT&T, so even if they are listed "for sale" -- those modems are typically non-returned equipment due back to AT&T, and also use of that modem would add a $6/month rental fee to your bill

If your U-Verse service is to be provided by either xPON FTTP or Pair Bonded FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse, you have to rent a modem, but also you should not have qualified for a self installation either, as there are no customer owned options (at this time) for FTTP or FTTN-Pair Bonded service

Did your order indicate what model modem AT&T is including in your self install kit?

reply to nor_cal1980
$100 self install modem is VDSL either 3600, or 5031

Charge for ADSL2+ NVG510 is to best of my knowledge $75 not $100.

That being said the 3600,5031 is exclusive no other direct Connect will work, you may purchase used 3600, 5031 are too new to on used market.

In addition you may placed your unit behind the uverse RG if wanting say N wireless using the 3600 (b/g only).

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by my thoughts :

$100 self install modem is VDSL either 3600, or 5031

Charge for ADSL2+ NVG510 is to best of my knowledge $75 not $100.

You sure on that? I thought they all were $100 now -- I thought only the Motorola 2210s/2310s ever had the $75 price tag

The NVG510, 3600, and now the 5031 all had the $100 price AFAIK

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to my thoughts
said by my thoughts :

5031 are too new to on used market.

I haven't seen them pop up on the secondary markets yet, but I expect they will start appearing before too long

nor_cal1980

join:2013-07-11
Lodi, CA
reply to ILpt4U
Here's a link to the package that I ordered. LINK I ordered the package for $24.95 a month with 1.5 Mbps down. The sales rep that sold me the package had no idea about what router or any technical details. I am not familiar with fiber optic internet myself. As far as I understand it is broadband correct? If I do end up keeping the modem they send me will I be charged $6 a month even after paying $100 for the modem? Thanks for your help!

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
Are you 100% sure that's the plan you ordered? I ask because the plans you linked to aren't U-verse plans. Those are just the good ole ADSL plans. U-verse plans are over here:
»www.att.com/u-verse/explore/inte···ding.jsp

They may be calling it "U-verse" but that is just them extending the brand name to their "legacy" dsl offerings.

said by nor_cal1980:

I am not familiar with fiber optic internet myself.

If the plan you mentioned is indeed the plan you ordered then there is no fiber involved to my knowledge. Unless something has changed, the old ADSL accounts are still copper all the way (thus the lower speeds).

Also, unless you have FTTP, U-verse still uses copper for the last leg as well. So it's "pseudo fiber" internet for the most part.

said by nor_cal1980:

As far as I understand it is broadband correct?

I believe broadband was defined in the 80's as anything as fast or faster than 1.5Mbps. However, the FCC has adjusted the requirements to be considered "broadband" since then. I think in 2010 they adjusted it to 4 down and 1 up. So technically, no. Your plan would not be considered broadband.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by doubleohwhat:

They may be calling it "U-verse" but that is just them extending the brand name to their "legacy" dsl offerings.

AT&T does not call their legacy ADSL service, "U-verse". Legacy ADSL is over ATM using PPPoE authentication. If it is truly U-verse service, it is, at the least, ADSL2+ over PTM with 802.1x authentication (aka, IPDSL).

said by nor_cal1980:

I am not familiar with fiber optic internet myself.

If the plan you mentioned is indeed the plan you ordered then there is no fiber involved to my knowledge. Unless something has changed, the old ADSL accounts are still copper all the way (thus the lower speeds).

Legacy ADSL is often served from fiber fed RTs.

Also, unless you have FTTP, U-verse still uses copper for the last leg as well. So it's "pseudo fiber" internet for the most part.

The cable term, "HFC", could apply. If you substitute "copper" for "coax" regarding the "C" ("Hybrid Fiber [Coax|Copper]").
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum