Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

41 megapixel Camera on Windows Phone - Lumia 1020

quote:
On Thursday, during an event in New York City, Nokia unveiled the Lumia 1020. This new Windows Phone offers a 41-megapixel camera and such a focus on photography that one could almost forget to use it as a phone for a moment.
»www.nbcnews.com/technolo ··· 10603683

Windows Phone and Nokia rock, I have a Lumia 920 and love it, but 41 megapixel camera, insane, I can hardly wait to get my hands on one.

Blake

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

+!
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Great, more pixels captured by a tiny, crappy lens. Megapixels are not an indication of the quality of the pictures. The optics are.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

Great, more pixels captured by a tiny, crappy lens. Megapixels are not an indication of the quality of the pictures. The optics are.

Yep, and Nokia has great optics (Carl Zeiss Lenses) »lenses.zeiss.com/camera- ··· kia.html

Tiny yes. Crappy No.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

AsherN

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by AsherN:

Yep, and Nokia has great optics (Carl Zeiss Lenses) »lenses.zeiss.com/camera- ··· kia.html

Tiny yes. Crappy No.

Zeiss does make great optics, but we're still talking about a tiny, fixed focus phone lens. For pictures that will most likely end up on the web. It's maketing fluff. At the end, it's overkill by a factor of 10, just to try to impress buyers who don't know better and are impressed by numbers.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

Zeiss does make great optics, but we're still talking about a tiny, fixed focus phone lens. For pictures that will most likely end up on the web. It's maketing fluff. In the end, it's overkill by a factor of 10, just to try to impress buyers who don't know better and are impressed by numbers.

+1 That Many Megapixels is not even needed by amateur photographers on a good camera! Putting it in the camera that's part of a phone is ridiculous. The memory required for each picture will be absurd.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by AsherN:

Tiny yes. Crappy No.

Zeiss does make great optics, but we're still talking about a tiny, fixed focus phone lens. For pictures that will most likely end up on the web. It's maketing fluff. At the end, it's overkill by a factor of 10, just to try to impress buyers who don't know better and are impressed by numbers.

Actually had you read the link, you'd see that Nokia is doing some interesting things with all those pixels. They don't take 42mega pixel shots.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by JohnInSJ:

Actually had you read the link, you'd see that Nokia is doing some interesting things with all those pixels. They don't take 42mega pixel shots.

So they take 38 MP shots.
quote:
The idea behind the Lumia 1020 is that it could quite literally allow you to find a needle in a photo of a haystack (as demonstrated during the event). This detail drives in the "zoom reinvented" tagline Nokia's pushing. By oversampling when images are captured, the Lumia 1020 is able to offer you the ability to zoom into images without loss of detail, Nokia says. You'll get blur-free, crisp, bright images — no matter how good or bad the light situation is. A feature called "dual capture" means that the Lumia 1020
simultaneously takes 38-megapixel and 5-megapixel photos.
And I have that gut feeling that the bolded section is just a lie.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

Michail to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by AsherN:

Tiny yes. Crappy No.

Fixed focus? Do you mean fixed zoom?

Check out the full resolution shot. The actual images aren't 41 MP anyway, that's just the sensor size.

»press.nokia.com/wp-conte ··· es-1.jpg

»press.nokia.com/products ··· ghres-1/
Michail

Michail to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Not to mention optical image stabilization as well.

I hope Nokia will release the new pro camera software to the 9xx lines. It looks to be an interesting interface for fast manual camera settings.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by JohnInSJ:

So they take 38 MP shots.
quote:
The idea behind the Lumia 1020 is that it could quite literally allow you to find a needle in a photo of a haystack (as demonstrated during the event). This detail drives in the "zoom reinvented" tagline Nokia's pushing. By oversampling when images are captured, the Lumia 1020 is able to offer you the ability to zoom into images without loss of detail, Nokia says. You'll get blur-free, crisp, bright images — no matter how good or bad the light situation is. A feature called "dual capture" means that the Lumia 1020
simultaneously takes 38-megapixel and 5-megapixel photos.
And I have that gut feeling that the bolded section is just a lie.

Why, Nokia does have the best low light performance among phone cameras.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

Michail to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I just read an article that mentions that an autonomous aircraft drone is being made for the Lumia 1020 to do areal surveillance. I don't know if it's true but kind of both cool and scary.

»blog.gsmarena.com/make-y ··· n-la300/

This is a better article on the Lumia drone

»www.phototips.biz/2013/0 ··· one.html

You can use your Win8 tablet do draw a flight plan for the drone.
Michail

Michail to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Why, Nokia does have the best low light performance among phone cameras.

I actually turn the ISO down on my Lumia 920 for some shots. Sometimes the night shots come out way to vibrant when I'm trying to capture shadows.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

1 edit

Link Logger to Michail

MVM

to Michail
Wow, holy crap those are amazing photos!!!

Hello world, yes that's right, Microsoft and Nokia are back with a vengeance, taking names and kicking butt.

Blake
Link Logger

Link Logger to Michail

MVM

to Michail
said by Michail:

Not to mention optical image stabilization as well.

I hope Nokia will release the new pro camera software to the 9xx lines. It looks to be an interesting interface for fast manual camera settings.

Nokia's Pro Camera App Is Headed to the Lumia 920, 925, and 928 Too

»gizmodo.com/nokias-pro-c ··· 52628122

SWEET!!!!!

Blake

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

tonyram57 to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

I agree and learned that the hard way when I bought a camera with a CCD lens and returned it 2 hours later. I learned now that at long as the camera has at least 12 MP and a CMOS lens it will take great pictures.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I'm sure we'll see some resolution tests on the 3x lossless digital zoom soon.

Of course this won't replace my 60D but I don't have that with me 24/7.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

said by AsherN:

I agree and learned that the hard way when I bought a camera with a CCD lens and returned it 2 hours later. I learned now that at long as the camera has at least 12 MP and a CMOS lens it will take great pictures.

And as we keep trying to point out, that's an apples to Finnish comparison to THIS product. The pureview leverages those pixels to give you a much wider dynamic range, and/or a far better crop zoom. But I agree, a crappy 12MP point and shoot digital is crap compared to my 6MP Nikon D70.

Now, if we can compare this camera to, say whatever the best in class Apple or Samsung phone based camera is, we'd see its in a class of its own.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Let down by windows phone again. Would have been a good buy if windows phone allowed 1080p screens and better cpu/gpu.

Also, $299 on contract, exclusive for AT&T. Are they trying to not sell any of these?

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Hello world, yes that's right, Microsoft and Nokia are back with a vengeance, taking names and kicking butt.

The photos are indeed great, but I think you're being a bit overoptimistic here.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to Link Logger

to Link Logger
I'm curious. What's the current state of app availability for windows phone, vs the Google and Apple ecosystem? Also it looks like Samsung is making a huge move to get Tizen into the market, offering 4 million in prizes for games and apps. Blockbuster games for like 200 thousandbucks, and really good productivity apps for like 150k. Has Microsoft done any of this for the Windows 8 mobile?

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to BillRoland

MVM

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

said by Link Logger:

The photos are indeed great, but I think you're being a bit overoptimistic here.

Don't think so. I really love my Lumia 920 and my wife wanted a Fruit Phone but got a HTC Windows Phone as it was cheaper, smaller and lighter and she wouldn't swap it for a fruit phone now as she really loves it.

Blake
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
What is an average size of one picture file? And how long it takes to take a shot (including time to save the file into internal storage)?

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

said by BillRoland:

said by Link Logger:

Don't think so. I really love my Lumia 920 and my wife wanted a Fruit Phone but got a HTC Windows Phone as it was cheaper, smaller and lighter and she wouldn't swap it for a fruit phone now as she really loves it.

Blake

A female that doesn't care about instagram? Hard to believe.

Most people i know won't even consider wp till it gets apps.

I had windows phone 7 and it was abandoned by MSFT/AT&T after mango (7720). So many bugs and key features missing. I refuse to buy another wp. They forever lost a customer.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

1 edit

Link Logger

MVM

said by Alcohol:

I've got Instagram on my Windows Phone as I'm running a free app call Instance. Was able to create an account (I didn't have one before), and tossed up some pics (using filters if I want) etc and able to see my kids pics.

»www.windowsphone.com/en- ··· 2157bb19

Blake

Edit from Instance's description:
quote:
Register, upload, comment, like, follow, find your facebook friends; All from Instance!
Just so you know this isn't just a instagram viewer.
Link Logger

Link Logger

MVM

A review of the Lumia 1020 at Digital Photography Review
quote:
While we've had access to production model units during today's press event, we've not been allowed to share images taken with the Lumia 1020. Having said that, the images do look impressive in both diffuse daylight conditions and low light samples. Auto white balance settings seem quite reasonable in even more challenging conditions. We're anxious to get our hands on a sample that we can shoot with in a variety of real-world environments, but so far things look promising.

What's undoubtedly true though is that Nokia has managed to take some very novel and impressive imaging technology and fit it all elegantly in a device that is effectively no bulkier than most high-end smartphones. Early signs point to the Lumia 1020 being well worth the wait.
»connect.dpreview.com/pos ··· -preview

Blake

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

I had windows phone 7 and it was abandoned by MSFT/AT&T after mango (7720). So many bugs and key features missing. I refuse to buy another wp. They forever lost a customer.

Wow, way to live in the past

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

said by Alcohol:

I've got Instagram on my Windows Phone as I'm running a free app call Instance. Was able to create an account (I didn't have one before), and tossed up some pics (using filters if I want) etc and able to see my kids pics.

»www.windowsphone.com/en- ··· 2157bb19

Blake

Edit from Instance's description:
quote:
Register, upload, comment, like, follow, find your facebook friends; All from Instance!
Just so you know this isn't just a instagram viewer.

Yeah, i know of that app. It's not an official instagram app, just a knock off.
After a while it gets annoying to not have the zynga games your friends are playing. No american express app that lets you scan your receipts. No expensify. people think these apps can just be replaced. They cannot.

Not msfts fault. they can't get more apps cause of market share. they cant get market share cause of lack of apps. Its a shitty position to be in. they shouldnt have changed the kernal for wp7 to wp8 and abandoned their loyal customers.
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Alcohol:

Wow, way to live in the past

they won't fool me again. When a OS is missing key things like a rotation lock and ability to turn off haptic feedback, it's not a real os. I went straight from windows mobile to windows phone. Don't see myself leaving android now.

Was a big fan of wp7 until they stopped updating the phone. Still recommend it as a low cost phone because it runs a lot smoother on bad hardware than android, but for high end it's not in the same league. It won't catch up to android. If they can get half the apps iphone has then they will surpass it. As an OS it's superior to ios already.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

Alcohol See Profile honesty time here. I wrote apps for Windows Mobile and I really liked Windows Mobile as a user and as developer and I'll be honest I was more then just a little ticked at how Microsoft cut and run on Windows Mobile (Windows CE is still around and used for embedded devices so my CE skills are still valuable). It took me awhile to get over how mad I was about Windows Mobile (its apparently common for phone vendors to cut and run on 'old' versions without providing update options) so I missed the whole Windows Phone 7 thing (I do have a HTC HD2 which I'll be switching over to a Windows Phone 7.8 for fun). Looking back at this I have to wonder how long any Phone OS lasts anymore, but when Windows Phone 8 showed up I was truly impressed and so I got one, fell in love with it and now I'm writing apps for it.

I was recently really happy to see that Windows Phone 8 had its official support extended at least to 2016-01-12, so this isn't going to be a flash in the pan and will be supported, so I'm back onboard.

»support.microsoft.com/li ··· FilterNO

Blake

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

MSFT said they'll give updates for 18 months (recently upgraded to 36 months) but to carriers.

Then carriers decide if they want to push it or not to consumers.

AT&T will never push those updates out. They never even updated my phone to 7740 which was a minor update that fixed major bugs in 7720.

MSFT lost the battle there. Atleast with android you can root/custom rom so the lack of updates from carriers isn't a huge deal.

MSFT tried to make peace with the developers but then they decided to go the apple route and block all access. It's just not open enough for custom roms.

I picked up a lumia 521 because it was so cheap ($129) and windows phone 8 still has the same problems as wp7. Can't even mute the media audio without turning the ringtone off.