share rss forum feed

ClockerXP

join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast

Might be Coming Back to WOW - Ultra TV - Pricing - Fees ?

Howdy-
I currently have Comcast. I have the 50/10 internet with phone & the digital channel package, two DVRs + one HD box and the service has been flawless. However over the years my promotions have withered away and I am now paying $160 per month after taxes and fees.

I called WOW and the sales person quoted me an Ultra TV price that's basically the website price minus $10 (UltraTV Basic + 30MB Internet + Basic Phone). Are there better deals from WOW to be had? Do they provide 3 boxes for the TVs now or am I paying extra for the 3rd TV?

What are the 'fees' added on to the end of every bill? I seem to remember that when I was with WOW 5-6 years ago there were some $10-15 in fees tacked on at the end.

I'm seriously considering making a switch to WOW now that I am reading there have been some good firmware updates to the media gateway. I will plan on using my own gigabit router though.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
said by ClockerXP:

Howdy-
I currently have Comcast. I have the 50/10 internet with phone & the digital channel package, two DVRs + one HD box and the service has been flawless. However over the years my promotions have withered away and I am now paying $160 per month after taxes and fees.

I called WOW and the sales person quoted me an Ultra TV price that's basically the website price minus $10 (UltraTV Basic + 30MB Internet + Basic Phone). Are there better deals from WOW to be had? Do they provide 3 boxes for the TVs now or am I paying extra for the 3rd TV?

What are the 'fees' added on to the end of every bill? I seem to remember that when I was with WOW 5-6 years ago there were some $10-15 in fees tacked on at the end.

I'm seriously considering making a switch to WOW now that I am reading there have been some good firmware updates to the media gateway. I will plan on using my own gigabit router though.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Since you're getting the Ultra TV gateway, you won't be paying the $5 modem fee. But you might pay the BS $4 telephone connection fee and the equally BS $3 local broadcast fee. I consider those fees to be BS because they should be incorporated into the list price of the service and not tacked on, thus deceiving people into thinking the true price of service is the advertised price. I've had the $5 modem fee waived since I started with WOW over 2 years ago and I haven't been billed the $4 phone fee yet (due to start in 2014) and since I only have WOW for internet/phone, I'm not charged the $3 tv fee.

I really doubt that you'll find a better price from WOW. The last I heard, WOW wasn't discounting Ultra TV service. I guess that's changed.

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast
Hi Again-

If I decide to get Ultra, will I be able to turn off the wireless of the gateway myself? Or, do I need to have the tech do it at install time? How do you access the config pages for the gateway and is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks,
C1K

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
Make sure you get the password

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI
Get it from the tech?

Thx,
C1K

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
Or WOWdan later

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
reply to ClockerXP
said by ClockerXP:

Get it from the tech?

Thx,
C1K

If you ask, the technician will provide the information. You can also change it if you'd like, but if you ever had to call in for support they will likely reset the password to access it remotely.

You can disable the wireless on the gateway and use your own router as an access point, while still utilizing the gateway's DHCP server. That's my recommended setup vs running dual NAT and multiple DHCP servers.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit
reply to ClockerXP
Looks like I should be setup Wednesday [EDIT: NOW THURSDAY INSTEAD] AM. Thanks for your feedback guys. Crossing fingers that everything works well.

C1K

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast
reply to WOW_Dan
said by WOW_Dan:

said by ClockerXP:

Get it from the tech?

Thx,
C1K

If you ask, the technician will provide the information. You can also change it if you'd like, but if you ever had to call in for support they will likely reset the password to access it remotely.

You can disable the wireless on the gateway and use your own router as an access point, while still utilizing the gateway's DHCP server. That's my recommended setup vs running dual NAT and multiple DHCP servers.

THANKS DAN!

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
reply to ClockerXP
So how much money are you saving to make it worth giving up 20/7meg of your download/upload speeds (and better on-demand)?

BTW - I'm not saying you made the wrong choice, just curious.

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast
$43 per month after taxes/fees for the first year. $24 per month after that.

I'm really interested in giving UltraTV a try. My usage of OnDemand has tapered off a lot recently.

Worst case is I don't like WOW and in a few months I will drop them and go back to Comcast for another one of their sweet WOW-Win-Back promotions and start the game all over again.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06

1 edit
Wow! Good deal. Evidently they have started discounting Ultra TV, as that is much less than the website price (at least in IL).

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI
reply to ClockerXP
I think it helped that I had the name of a specific sales guy that I called, I didn't just call the 800 number.

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast
reply to ClockerXP
I am back with WOW and very pleased. The Ultra TV install went butter smooth and I think the system works great. Installer was a contractor and a very nice guy. Ran a new drop to the pedestal and reused all my interior wiring.

My downstream numbers look a little high but I am hesitant to add an attenuator in there because everything seems to be working fine..

Downstream
Interface Name Freq Power SNR Modulation
Downstream 1 603.000 MHz 9.70 dBmV 39.70 dB QAM256
Downstream 2 609.000 MHz 9.60 dBmV 39.40 dB QAM256
Downstream 3 615.000 MHz 10.00 dBmV 40.00 dB QAM256
Downstream 4 621.000 MHz 9.90 dBmV 39.40 dB QAM256
Downstream 5 627.000 MHz 9.90 dBmV 39.00 dB QAM256
Downstream 6 597.000 MHz 10.00 dBmV 39.60 dB QAM256
Downstream 7 591.000 MHz 10.10 dBmV 40.30 dB QAM256
Downstream 8 585.000 MHz 9.90 dBmV 40.20 dB QAM256

Upstream
Interface Name Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 37.00 MHz 44.70 dBmV ATDMA 5120 kSym/s QAM64
Upstream 2 31.00 MHz 42.60 dBmV TDMA 2560 kSym/s QAM16
Upstream 3 --- --- --- --- ---
Upstream 4 --- --- --- --- ---

Couple questions though:

1.) As recommended by Dan, I disabled the wireless on the Gateway and am using my Asus RT-N16 as a wireless access point. Is there some advantage to doing that rather than putting my router in the gateway's DMZ and allowing it to do all the routing work? Just curious.

2.) What size HDD is in the gateway? The tech mentioned 1TB but that seems kinda large as I am already at about 14%. Granted I have been recording a bunch of stuff for my son but I thought I heard other people say these Gateways come with 500GB HDDs.

I have an old Antec MX-1 enclosure & 2TB HDD I can attach to the Gateway if I want to try it...I used to use the same enclosure with a different hard drive back in my Wow Explorer 8300HD days.

Thanks!

lesmikesell

join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL
If you want to use the DLNA (home connect) feature of the media players the PC serving the local content has to be on the same subnet - that is connected to the gateway LAN, not on the other side of your router.