TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: The US doesn't need to subsidize Internet for poor

Most of those cars come JDB, and AutoMax/CarMax. You pay weekly payments to keep the car "running". Also its called child support payments that most would get and gov't support in terms of cash assistance that is set aside for families already.

But the phones? Those are not given away by the gov't, each and every phone customer pays for those phones under USF. Which the cell phone plan was put into place under Bush. The LifeLine system has been in place for DECADES!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by TBBroadband:

Most of those cars come JDB, and AutoMax/CarMax. You pay weekly payments to keep the car "running". Also its called child support payments that most would get and gov't support in terms of cash assistance that is set aside for families already.

But the phones? Those are not given away by the gov't, each and every phone customer pays for those phones under USF. Which the cell phone plan was put into place under Bush. The LifeLine system has been in place for DECADES!

In my opinion, if they want to give out free phones, they should be landlines only. I grew up in the '90s and we survived with a landline and by throwing 35 cents into payphones.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Pay Phones are dead in the US. And as long as the USF funds those cell phones, then they will keep going out.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by TBBroadband:

Pay Phones are dead in the US. And as long as the USF funds those cell phones, then they will keep going out.

Like I said, if they want to give out free phones, they should only give out free landlines. Or they could give out free cellular home phones (Verizon Wireless home phone connect).

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by IowaCowboy:

said by TBBroadband:

Like I said, if they want to give out free phones, they should only give out free landlines. Or they could give out free cellular home phones (Verizon Wireless home phone connect).

Landlines don't work for the homeless or those so transient as to have no permanent/regular address, ALL of who are faced with violent or medical emergencies far more often then most of us all comfy at home. It is not only a lifeline, but maybe the only reliable point of contact for both assistance, family, medical and potential employers offering the next step toward independence, something everyone should hope for and help with.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Thats my point!