spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Champ

@mycingular.net

[Connectivity] Is my modem dead?

I'm typing this from my phone because my modem won't lock after going down at 1am last night. It's been about 15 hours since that and it's still blinking. I have motorola sb6121 thats been working fine since i purchased it new in late 2011. I've rebooted and power cycled the modem about 10 times and its still not locking. I can access the modems webpage but there isn't any power info or anything. I'm wondering if it has died as I never have problems with my service here and nothing has been changed for years.

I called comcast and they said there are no outages in my area, but could t help me further because there tools were down and I would need to call back later.

I'm trying to save a tech visit and find out if I just need to go buy a new modem.

Thanks for the help

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
If you also have their T.V. service, is that out as well ? Can you possibly borrow a neighbor's modem as a test just to see if it synchs up before you go and spend money ?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

It may be easier to convince a neighbor to plug the modem in question in at the neighbor's home rather than disrupt their service by removing their modem.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
True 'dat !

Champ

@mycingular.net
reply to Champ
Pretty sure it's the modem. I only have net sevice with comcast. No tv. I live In a 4 year old condo with all new wiring. All the wiring comes into the garage in a fancy networking panel that never gets touched. All the main lines to the building run into a electric closet that stays shut all the time. I know the lines are fine as they arent exposed to the elements.

I talked to one of the neighbors but he's using AT&T for service. So no go there.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
Can you post pictures of the status, signal, and logs modem pages?
--
KI6RIT

Champ

@comcast.net
reply to Champ
Well, I got it working. I had to go buy a new modem just to find out that it wasn't a problem with my original modem. The new modem wouldn't lock either. I had to bust out my cable tools from 15 years ago when I was a tech. Glad I still had them. Turns out that either the port on the 8 port tap in the cable box had gone bad or the filter I had on my line to block TV service went bad. I'm guessing it was the filter as it looked pretty old and the taps look brand new as I would expect them to look for being old 4 years old. Luckily I still had my star key and terminator tools to open the box and switch my port and take off the filter and switch the port. I re-terminated the old port I was on and came back in to check the modem and sure enough its locked and working fine now.

When they come and do an audit, whenever they do them, someone will put a filter back on my line. I'm not having a tech come out for that. No point as I use Dish Network for my TV service and happy with it.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm good to go!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
......waiting for the posts scolding you for opening the box & fixing the issue yourself.....1......2......3

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to Champ
Comcast isn't installing filters anymore because they got approval a bit ago to allow even local channels to be encrypted.

In my area everyone is hooked up now, cable or not with no filters. Only way they will unplug it now is if you are making noise on the line.

If you sign up for service you get boxes that allow you to watch, if not well, it's all encrypted here so you can't watch anything hah. Kinda lame really, digital TV that can't get anything and has no card slot, plus gives them a way to charge for a small box even if you just buy basic.

Oh well. Don't worry about the filter. They would have removed it and kept off anyway had you called lol