spc
Search similar:

uniqs
squashpile
join:2001-06-13
Birmingham, AL

squashpile

Netflix HD - What is going on?

Anyone else had problems the last few days with getting HD Netflix streams?
Speed is fine.. HD works fine on Vudu and Amazon, but no HD on Netflix the last few days.

Streams stay around 1.5Mbps and 1050 BR on Netflix.

dks7
join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

dks7

I had an issue with it yesterday, and an issue connecting to some servers, but it has cleared up.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to squashpile

Premium Member

to squashpile
Yesterday when I logged on with Tivo it showed an error for maintenance or something. Went back right away and it came right up, I was watching foy4~5 hours. I'm watching right now BTW via Tivo.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to squashpile

Premium Member

to squashpile
said by squashpile:

Anyone else had problems the last few days with getting HD Netflix streams?
Speed is fine.. HD works fine on Vudu and Amazon, but no HD on Netflix the last few days.

Streams stay around 1.5Mbps and 1050 BR on Netflix.

Yes, I've noticed this too over the last several days. I thought something was wrong with my wifi connection, but I believe the issue is with Charter.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by crazyk4952:

Yes, I've noticed this too over the last several days. I thought something was wrong with my wifi connection, but I believe the issue is with Charter.

OR................it could be an issue with Netflix.
tsheley
join:2005-08-23
Holmen, WI

tsheley to squashpile

to squashpile
I am having the same issue. Amazon, Hulu, and HBO Go are fine. Netflix on the other hand is terrible quality.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by crazyk4952:

OR................it could be an issue with Netflix.

It is possible, but not likely. I am able to stream in HD from Netflix on my laptop via a tethered iPad on LTE, but not with my Charter 30Mb internet connection. I currently have my laptop connected directly to my cable modem currently (to eliminate the router as the cause) and I am still not able to get an HD stream from Netflix.

After contacting Neflix, I was advised that they need to see 5Mbps before they give me an HD stream. When streaming Netflix on my laptop, my connection is about 1-1.5Mbps. Netflix told me that they saw my connection speed "all over the place".

After spending 30 minutes on the phone with Charter tech support, they were unable to find any problem at all. Of course, they wanted to blame Netflix (until I told them that I was able to stream just fine from my iPad). They submitted a trouble ticket, so I will see what happens.

I have a feeling the link between Charter and Netflix is either being throttled, or is completely saturated.
tsheley
Holmen, WI

tsheley

I just noticed that I get the SuperHD logo on my Apple TV as of tonight. That is new. The quality still stinks but maybe they are working out the bugs with the Open Connect stuff and SuperHD.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by tsheley:

I just noticed that I get the SuperHD logo on my Apple TV as of tonight. That is new. The quality still stinks but maybe they are working out the bugs with the Open Connect stuff and SuperHD.

You must have an Apple TV 3! I don't see the Super HD on my Apple TV 2 (probably because it can only display up to 720p), but I have seen that on my Roku box for a while now.
tsheley
Holmen, WI

tsheley

So much for that. The SuperHD is gone.
»www.engadget.com/2013/08 ··· comcast/
stevenwest13
join:2008-03-24

stevenwest13

Having the same issues constantly the past few weeks with Netflix as well. Ran a traceroute tonight and this is what I got.

tracert movies.netflix.com

Tracing route to dualstack.merchweb-usca-frontend-958509217.us-east-1.elb.amazon
aws.com [107.21.217.70]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 6 ms 8 ms 7 ms acr09arsnsc-gbe-3-14.arsn.sc.charter.com [96.34.
93.178]
4 8 ms 9 ms 10 ms acr01arsnsc-tge-0-7-0-1.arsn.sc.charter.com [96.34.64.249]
5 9 ms 13 ms 8 ms crr01gnvlsc-tge-0-3-0-2.gnvl.sc.charter.com [96.34.66.199]
6 9 ms 11 ms 8 ms crr11gnvlsc-tge-0-1-0-7.gnvl.sc.charter.com [96.34.92.42]
7 20 ms 8 ms 15 ms bbr01gnvlsc-bue-3.gnvl.sc.charter.com [96.34.2.112]
8 30 ms 31 ms 24 ms bbr01ashbva-bue-1.ashb.va.charter.com [96.34.0.47]
9 24 ms 23 ms 27 ms prr01ashbva-bue-3.ashb.va.charter.com [96.34.3.51]
10 23 ms 23 ms 22 ms 72.21.221.76
11 25 ms 26 ms 24 ms 72.21.220.39
12 24 ms 25 ms 27 ms 72.21.222.155
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms 216.182.224.85
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

To me something is for sure wrong. I have been unable to watch HD for the past couple of weeks. I doubt it is Charter doing it. Although neither want to help resolve the issue.

adamsoundSTL
@charter.com

adamsoundSTL

Anon

suddenly unable to get HD over Netflix with Charter since early August, and this is the only post I can turn up with similar complaints. My wifi is acting screwy, too, but even sitting next to the base station and a speed test of 35mb+ I'm getting very grainy quality.

Since my speed tests are fast Charter throws up their hands, Netflix wanted me to upgrade Silverlight, check the "high quality" box on their page, and "see if Charter is using Open Connect" which I see now is a joke.

Very interested in any other reports or tips!

oneoone
join:2010-01-20
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone

Is this happening on devices (roku,tivo,xbox) or just on computers?

adamsoundSTL
@charter.com

adamsoundSTL

Anon

we watch 95% on a Roku (XR I think) and since upgrading to Charter 30mb we got HD most of the time - now it's 2 dots every single time. However in my tests I can't get HD on a laptop either now, and it's very laggy / grainy - hard to tell the exact speed on the laptop.

Hulu played an episode of the same series we've been watching and it looked mighty good, even with the iffy wifi situation last night. Couldn't see if it was HD or not.

FWIW we are in St Louis MO.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to oneoone

to oneoone
I watch Netflix on a Roku HD, and have noticed that my reception has dropped from 4 dots to 2 dots recently. However, the picture quality is still okay at 2 which surprised me.

Something has definitely been changed. Wonder if Netflix is punishing Charter subscribers, because they haven't signed up for CDN?

oneoone
join:2010-01-20
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone

I wouldnt think Netflix would have anything to gain in punishing Charter customers. I would venture to bet if anything it's something on Charter's end.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99 to squashpile

to squashpile
Working fine here. Snaps right up to "HD".

MD673
@charter.com

MD673

Anon

I've been having this problem for a few weeks as well. Nothing seems to work. New modem. New router. Hardwired, WiFi... doesn't matter. Netflix quality is terrible, and everything else seems fine. Netflix blames Charter. Charter blames Netflix. I'm supposed to be getting a call from a Charter network engineer soon. Hopefully they can help.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to oneoone

to oneoone
said by oneoone:

I wouldnt think Netflix would have anything to gain in punishing Charter customers.

The wink meant I was just kidding. I imagine it's the natural outcome of other ISPs using CDN... for best routing, etc., and Charter not.

I should correct my original statement about the quality of Netflix reception here, as last night it was poor. Of course, it could have been that the series was just old.

MD673
@charter.com

MD673

Anon

Looks like this is what's going on....
»arstechnica.com/informat ··· e-video/

"...behind the scenes, in negotiations that almost never become public, the world's biggest Internet providers and video services argue over how much one network should pay to connect to another. When these negotiations fail, users suffer. In other words, bad video performance is often caused not just by technology problems but also by business decisions made by the companies that control the Internet."

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Thanks for the link. This is what happened to us with Netflix, because Charter also... has refused this free service:

January 2013: Time Warner refuses Netflix's offer of a free caching service that would provide better performance to Netflix users on Time Warner's network.

CoffeeAddict
@google.com

CoffeeAddict

Anon

I've had the same issues for almost a full month now. I've actually moved about 40 min (downtown stl to o'Fallon for anyone from MO) had Charter at both places and rarely get full quality even on non hd content. Timing doesn't seem to matter though it is a bit worse during prime hours. Any word back from anyone who contacted Charter?
CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict to msmisfit

Anon

to msmisfit
I've had the same issues for weeks now. I even moved (40min away) 3 weeks ago, Charter service at each location and bad at each location. I used to stream Netflix HD nearly 100% of the time. However as of 4 or 5 weeks ago I'm lucky to get more than 3/4ths of the quality bar, (on Tivo quality bar goes up 8 bars then HD symbol after if you hit full HD).

Really frustrating as the wife and I cut cable for only internet and streaming at the new place. Anyone get an answer for the techs?

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

I have been having this issue for over a month now. I called Charter on 8/7 and spent 30 minutes with one of their reps and finally had him convinced that the issue was on their end. He told me that he was going to file a trouble ticket. I called on 8/19 to check the status of that ticket and was informed that no ticket had been filed.

I spend the next 30 minutes convincing the rep that I was speaking with that the problem was NOT my router, WiFi, etc. I finally talked to her supervisor and convinced her to allow me to conference in a representative with Netflix. The Netflix rep is able to see my viewing history and showed that all of the streams watched from a Charter internet connection had errors. None of the streams watched using any other ISP had errors.

The Charter rep stated that she needed the Netflix server (or IP address) that I was streaming from. Netflix was unable to provide this to them since it changes periodically.

After I hung up the phone with Charter (after 1hr and a half!), I was able to get the IP address of the Netflix server using WireShark. The Charter rep is going to call me back next week and I will provide her with the IP address (she wants to do a traceroute, not sure what good that will do). I will also point the Charter rep to this thread since she states that no one else has reported the problem.

If you are experiencing this issue, I suggest you contact Charter and make them aware of the issue.

ctgriffi
@comcastbusiness.net

ctgriffi to CoffeeAddict

Anon

to CoffeeAddict
We've had Charter Cable Internet at home for three years, and their Netflix streaming has gotten so bad lately that we're at our wits end. Speed tests always show that we're getting very close to our promised 30mbps—but Netflix is only able to push a 2-3mbps stream through our connection. (No problem with other video providers like AIV or Vimeo, for example.)

For three years we had virtually no trouble streaming Netflix HD, but, for the last two months or so, we've been forced to watch VHS quality video on our 42" HDTV. Occasionally, it starts out looking decent but two minutes later, the stream rebuffers and video quality plunges. Very discouraging.

I've been round and round with Charter support reps, with no improvement yet. They've finally started admitting that there is some kind of "ongoing issue between Netflix and Charter," but they won't say anymore about it and can't offer a timeline for resolution.

USERS: Please start contacting Charter about this problem! Call them, text them, chat them, tweet them—do whatever you can to get some momentum behind this issue! More voices are needed.

adamsoundSTL
@charter.com

adamsoundSTL to crazyk4952

Anon

to crazyk4952
spent good time with one of Netflix's actual tech guys tonight. Despite 32mb speed tests on my MacPro connected straight to my airport (which is connected straight to the Charter modem), he said Netflix was only seeing .8-1.2mb speeds, and getting 404 messages to boot. He recommended taking the airport out of the link, which I did, and the MacPro did seem to get a better stream from Netflix. Can't keep track of my troubleshooting any more tonight so will try more tomorrow.
jaymerkramer
join:2002-12-11
Saint Peters, MO

jaymerkramer to squashpile

to squashpile
Been having problems for weeks with Netflix in St. Peter's Mo. Speedtest all check fine, packet loss test good, Vudu full HDX streams. Netflix won't get HD streams on my Xbox, PS3, Bluray player or Panasonic TV app. All but the Xbox are hardwired. Charter has to be doing some throttling to the Netflix streams.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to squashpile

Premium Member

to squashpile
I thought that I would try something else to see if I could get my Netflix to stream in HD again.

I set up a VPN connection to a VPS that I have hosted in California. I then opened up a Netflix stream on my laptop. The stream went HD within the first 10 seconds. Also, Netflix was now using 10+ Mbps of bandwidth while it was caching the first part of the movie.

Without using the VPN, Netflix uses no more than 1.2 Mbps and Netflix will not go HD.

adamsoundSTL
@charter.com

adamsoundSTL

Anon

after a brief successful HD stream connected straight to the modem (no Airport), I did some control tests to begin the testing again. Suddenly my MacPro-ethernet-Airport-modem was streaming HD, no problem. Then Roku-wifi-Airport-Airport-modem streamed HD for about 5-10 minutes as well.

This was a few days ago, last night back to no HD on the Roku, a solid 3 dots which is watchable but not great. Seems like the variation is NOT due to anything inside my house, so Charter will be my next call. Anyone know how to get straight to a tech rep at Charter?
tsheley
Holmen, WI

tsheley

If I plug my iMac directly to my modem I can stream HD. As soon as I put my AirPort Extreme between the iMac and modem I get nothing but SD again. I am going to get a different router and try that.