Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Archeage, a Korean MMO opening up to the US

»www.archeage.com/en#index

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=upLIoSIEQr4

I kinda like how the mount in the above video doesn't despawn when you dismount. Reminds me of Ultima Online in that aspect. You dismount and the mount can fight along side you.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=529in9ycPg4

The above link shows player housing that is available.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0W_NpVSUU

A look at a Dungeon in Archeage.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHIHR_CMwUQ

A glimpse at the crafting in Archeage.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiOeGy4h60Y

Players/guilds can build ships and PvP from them using canons and such.
The ships take a lot of resources, hence a long time to build [from something I read].

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGk8fucSMJg

Players can build castles, and then they'll have to defend them from other players.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs4VWg2PjpE

After the castle is built, others can siege it.

My understanding is that the castle comes with lands that will need farmers, and it will also need crafters to build weapons and maintain the castle. So there are roles for those that want to be crafters, and those that want to be PvPers.

I've also read that players who have done "bad things", like steal from guild, kill guildmates, etc, after a while became outcasts. They are sent to an island with little resources. So they turn to piracy and raiding other players for resources.

The game has 2 safe zones, and the rest of the world is PvP. Like most games, you can level up so far in the safe zones before you have to venture out into the world.

The game looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I like the fact it's PvP. And it seems you can be looted, when you die.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 edit

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoFGbi0RGXM

This is another look at PvP. A group of players are using Gliders to attack a castle. The gliders can shoot arrows, that do some damage.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcheAge

And the wiki on Archeage. The more I see about the game, the more it reminds of Ultima Online when it first launched.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaUaXn3t9Y

Ship to ship combat.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
Any word on a release date? Looks good.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I haven't seem one, yet. They are accepting sign ups for Beta though.

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Snakeoil
Archeage had a lot of promise as a hardcore sandbox mmo, but two things happened:

1. The game took too long to come out (It's been in development for 7+ years)

2. The developer is curbing a lot of the hardcore-type stuff in order to try to make the game more 'accessible' to a wider audience, which is probably only going to alienate the hardcore fans.

The MMO market has had a glut of games for a long time, but most of those games simply can't compete with WoW and now maybe GW2. I don't see how Archeage is going to be any different unless it can make the hardcore pvp audience happy.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I "liked" WOW, but felt limited by it. Realize, I played UO for 5 or more years. A game where I can design my own house, sell items that I made on a vendor I hired. I could craft chests, tables, forges, anvils. I could sail my ship any where on the sea, and while doing so fish. And while fishing pull up messages in the bottle.
I could craft wedding gowns, dress clothes, armor.
I could bake cookies, cakes and pizzas.
I could brew poisons and potions.
I could go tame a pet and name it and have it fight for me or along side of me. I could command 1 to 5 pets at a time, depending on how much "control" they needed. For example a "dog" would take up all the control slots. But them again, that dog can chew down a dragon all by himself.
Or I could command a flock of chickens to attack, and peck the target to death.

Then I hop into WOW, and what could I do?

Quest, quest, quest, quest.

And yet WOW is still popular, though it's rather limited to what a player can do.
To be fair, you do have limited crafting, PvP [or the nice sort where nothing is lost if you die in the fight]. Though WOW wasn't the first to offer "nice" PvP, I don't know who was.

Hence why ArcheAge looks very interesting to me. It seems there is more to do then just questing and killing.
--

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
The problem with what you described is that almost the entirety of UO consisted of extremely boring grinding. What made WoW so successful is that it got rid of most of the grinding. I agree with you that more open-world elements belong in top MMOs, of course almost all of what you described existed in WoW when it comes to crafting. I mean, really, you could do all of these things in WoW:

I could go tame a pet and name it and have it fight for me or along side of me.

WoW also had fishing on release.

The only thing missing, really, was/is player housing and associated things. I think MMOs should make instanced player housing, as opposed to in-world housing like Archeage, since unless you can make your house into a useful hub with portals and such, it is not very convenient.

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
kudos:2
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

..... I can design my own house, sell items that I made on a vendor I hired. I could craft chests, tables, forges, anvils. I could sail my ship any where on the sea, and while doing so fish. And while fishing pull up messages in the bottle.
I could go tame a pet and name it and have it fight for me or along side of me. I could command 1 to 5 pets at a time, depending on how much "control" they needed.

This is your real life you're talking about, right?
--
/)_/) "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."
( . . )
C(")(")

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
Nope. People could do all of that in UO. And more. And apparently a few hundred thousand still do.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Kaltes
I did a bunch of grinding in WOW, mainly for the quests.
They removed some of the fun elements from the game.
For example Warlocks having to go on quests to battle the very demon they would enslave and use as a minion. I enjoyed that type of quest.

I fished in WOW, and in Rift. Both I find boring. In UO there had been a lot of complaints from players to GMs about "unattended" macro users. Players would set up a macro for fishing, then run it while they went to a movie or slept.
To counter that, the Devs of UO put in Sea serpents. So now while you are fishing you have a chance of pulling one of those up. And they have a decent melee attack, as well as a few magic spells. Though their armor is pretty weak. It didn't fix the issue, but it did reduce the numbers a tad. An added benefit to the sea serpents is that some had treasure maps or message in a bottle inside of them.

I wish there was a little/some risk in fishing in WOW and Rift. It would be fun to fight some slimy beastie, instead of sitting their clicking until your eyes run away from the boredom of click fishing.
--

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Snakeoil
Can't WAIT!

monchis
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Snakeoil
dup.

monchis
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

And it seems you can be looted, when you die.

Sounds good to me, especially if the person that started the brawl is looted. Sounds fair.
--
dslreports.com

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Snakeoil
Full loot pvp, nice! just signed up for the beta.
can your bags get looted or just equipped items?

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I dunno.
Expand your moderator at work