spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jerry24
join:2013-07-13
Burnaby, BC

jerry24

Upload usage

Is it possible to upload 300GB in a month on a High Speed Extreme account?

parrelium
join:2005-07-31

parrelium

with 2.5 mbps upload, you could theoretically upload 8.1 TB in a month, so yes...
jerry24
Burnaby, BC

jerry24

Thanks,
PCWiz75
join:2009-04-07
Calgary, AB

PCWiz75 to parrelium

to parrelium
said by parrelium:

with 2.5 mbps upload, you could theoretically upload 8.1 TB in a month, so yes...

I believe you're off by a factor of 10.

2.5 Mbps = 0.3125 MB/s
0.3125 MB/s x 60 Seconds x 60 Minutes x 24 Hours x 30 Days = 810,000MB

810,000MB / 1024 = 791GB

So theoretically you can upload around 791GB at 2.5Mbps on High Speed Extreme.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to jerry24

Premium Member

to jerry24
Yes, but you will be using beyond what you are agreeing to when choosing the Extreme/BB25 plan (250 GB/month)

You could, but shouldn't, and you may get the bandwidth team after you.

300 up on a 250GB total plan, your download traffic would need to be added too.

The BB50 plan is $15 more, giving you a faster upload speed and higher data allowance, or BB100 to increase your upload speed even more.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Hell, if you're uploading that kind of bandwidth, you better start worrying about the copyright cops.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

how else are we gonna get shaw to bump our upload other then proving that we can make use of it, shaw doesnt give a fuck if we torrent as long as it doesnt congest there network(and if we do congest, there is reason for them to bump our upload), and its pretty hard for upload to get congested unless you have many users doing constant upload, its simple if u torrent of a public tracker dont seed, but if all your seeding is private trackers + some other upload from regular usage your doing nothing wrong, saying u should worry about copyright cops if your uploading allot is just silly to me, when the government tries to stop people from smoking weed does it work to bust the users? no thats a proven fact, they have to stop the people providing and its the same thing with torrents coming after individuals for downloading/uploading just seems silly to me, tho i do know they can do it, the biggest thing involving law enforcement and torrenting that has affected me was the day btjunkie closed itself down out of fear

personally one of my biggest pet peeves is people being paranoid about torrenting. if your scared dont do it.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to jerry24

to jerry24
Oh, you are here again...

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex to jerry24

to jerry24
Upload what you need to upload; but don't go out of your way to push the network. It just causes unnecessary strain and resource usage that will affect other users.

We already know the rate of which bandwidth requirements are growing and we are constantly upgrading our networks to accommodate.
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto to 18286719

to 18286719
If you don't like something, let them know:
»www.shaw.ca/contact-us/feedback/

That may very well go in to a black hole and never get looked at, but at least they have the information to use or ignore as they see fit.

I made a point of filling that out in detail after I canceled my internet/tv due to their sudden aggressive enforcement of bandwidth limits

Quantumflux
@shawcable.net

Quantumflux

Anon

Also note that not all upload bandwidth is piracy. I myself use about 100-150gb/mo streaming gameplay video to twitch.
jerry24
Burnaby, BC

jerry24

OK, how can you monitor your usage at your own end? My upload usage according to Shaw's web site is 9.8 GB.
This is from July 24 to 31st. This is with no uploading of anything at all. Does this seem correct?
What's are you guys upload usage in a month or a few days?
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by jerry24:

OK, how can you monitor your usage at your own end? My upload usage according to Shaw's web site is 9.8 GB.
This is from July 24 to 31st. This is with no uploading of anything at all. Does this seem correct?

How much did you download? TCP can do a fair bit of ACKs, so if you downloaded 100 Gigabytes this 10 gigabyte number might not be so unusual.

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB

Darhole to jerry24

Premium Member

to jerry24
There are programs you can get.
My Windows 8 laptop tracks usage natively on the connection by checking a box when connecting. Seems to be fairly accurate too.
scubascythan
join:2005-05-14

scubascythan to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
said by ravenchilde:

said by jerry24:

How much did you download? TCP can do a fair bit of ACKs, so if you downloaded 100 Gigabytes this 10 gigabyte number might not be so unusual.

This, so if you watched a bunch of videos from youtube/netflix your upload will go up proprotionately, and upload ramps up quickly if you've been using video chat like skype. Plus if you have any cloud services running in the background you don't notice, or automatic updates on programs.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to jerry24

Premium Member

to jerry24
Depending on your router, your router may be able to do it, or you may need to change your router's software so it can have the feature.

Doing it on your router, gets all traffic on your network, and not just from a single computer - router can also track which devices is using the traffic.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
said by Shaw_Alex:

Upload what you need to upload; but don't go out of your way to push the network. It just causes unnecessary strain and resource usage that will affect other users.

It wouldn't be an issue if the network was upgraded properly.
said by Shaw_Alex:

We already know the rate of which bandwidth requirements are growing and we are constantly upgrading our networks to accommodate.

Too bad Shaw and almost all MSOs are so far behind the curve as it is.
Name3
join:2013-05-28

Name3

Exactly. I couldn't even get less than 25% packet loss this past week. No matter how much they try to say otherwise, terrible service is not the fault of other people on the network.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

said by Name3:

Exactly. I couldn't even get less than 25% packet loss this past week. No matter how much they try to say otherwise, terrible service is not the fault of other people on the network.

??
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

Gotspeed to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
said by Shaw_Alex:

Shaw knows the rate of which bandwidth requirements are growing and also the price per transfer rate per GBs is dropping, yet we still see a price increase for our service with no increase in speed or Bandwidth allotment.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

But you do still see some of the top speeds and bandwidth allotments in Canada
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

Gotspeed

said by ravenchilde:

But you do still see some of the top speeds and bandwidth allotments in Canada

I know....I know, it's still not saying much, other than Shaw rips us off, just a little less then the other guy in Canada, but based on the rest of the world, its a pure gouging price model.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

1 edit

18286719 (banned)

i cant even use 65% of my upload without my connection quality going to crap, first hop ping of 65, and a connection that is basically unusable for anything but the current upload going, and that is limiting upload speeds to 400KB/s of the 625 or so im provisioned
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
The idea of a cap is nonsense, users are still being ripped off and upload speeds are still pathetic.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
Connor, you also may want to look into buffer-bloat
ravenchilde

ravenchilde to 18286719

to 18286719
said by 18286719:

i cant even use 65% of my upload without my connection quality going to crap, first hop ping of 65, and a connection that is basically unusable for anything but the current upload going, and that is limiting upload speeds to 400KB/s of the 625 or so im provisioned

This sounds like Buffer Bloat.