uniqs

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

[WIN8] Win 8.1 under VirtualBox video issue

I've been playing around with Win 8.1 preview in an Oracle Virtualbox. It's the 32-bit version of Win 8.1, running under Win7 32-bit.

In playing around with it, I installed the Solitaire package. I've noticed an issue, though when playing a game (at least Klondike.) When you finish a game or can't continue anymore, a white bar comes across the screen with information about the game, and buttons to Continue or whatever. If you click a button, the bar slightly dims and seems to get fuzzy, but it doesn't disappear. You can click on things outside of the bar OK. The only way to get rid of it is to hit the Windows key (as far as I know), to end the program.

Anyone see something similar? I do have the latest Virtualbox (4.2.16) and managed to get the guest additions installed. It shows as the Virtual box video driver. I also tried with and without 2D and 3D acceleration enabled.

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0

Premium Member

Well, it is Windows 8.1 and not finalized yet. It's going to have bugs, especially when you force-fed it guest additions.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

I have found that it sometimes clears properly. If not, I can do an ALT-TAB twice to basically refresh the screen.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Before the addons were not compatible with 8.1 at all, and in the latest version they cause more problems than they fix. It was a quick fix for a beta operating systems, and I feel the addons make it worse now. Like just trying to watch a flash video with gpu acceleration enabled crashes IE 11, and it's causing problems with html5 video also. Welcome to beta with quick fixes, nothing will be perfect.

Got another hdd? Install it to your real hardware on that with no other drives connected, I highly suggest you do not let it access any of your other drives for chance of data loss, somebody already had 8.1 kill all the partitions on their Vista drive.

fxtr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA

fxtr to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
Win 8.1 running under Hyper-V.
Klondike's white bar won't go away. After much clicking it finally disappeared.

I have Win XP's sol.exe installed as my favorite game. The Windows solitaire package is to glitzy for me.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to BlitzenZeus

MVM

to BlitzenZeus
The first time I tried playing Solitaire, it was the previous VirtualBox and I think the video was just the generic Windows driver. I remember the cards were very slow and it was hard to click and drag. That was the first time I saw that 'stuck' bar.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Have you used virtual box before? It has 2D and 3D acceleration that needs to be enabled, and windows does use it. You have to enable 2D and 3D acceleration, and preferably give as much video memory to it as you can. If you have onboard video only this can limit it's performance. Without the addons installed it's performance is going to be limited anyway, but if those addons are causing problems it can make the software crash.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

After I got the latest version of VirtualBox and the guest additions installed, I also enabled the 2D and 3D acceleration, which did speed things up. I didn't play much with the default video memory setting, which is set to 128M. I'll trying increasing that to see if it has any effect.