uniqs
share rss forum feed

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ

[NJ] Moving to New Jersey

I got a job in New Jersey and will be moving soon. My work locations will be in Woodbridge Township and near Flemington. I've heard that Somerville and New Brunswick are good places for a person to live. I'm looking for a place that has decent dining and activities to do.

I would prefer to rent a house, but a townhouse will do. But I am having a hell of a time finding a decent online rental listing. Any tips?

Also, any other tips for moving to New Jersey?
--
What smells like blue?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

I worked in those parts of NJ for many years before I relocated to FL. My choice would be the Hillsborough area if I were looking for a place to live up there.

Be prepared for the massive difference in COL compared to Wyoming... Your rent will be probably $1500-$2500 for a townhouse.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

fryer

join:2003-11-13
Chadds Ford, PA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Omega

Congratulations on the new job! I grew up outside of Flemington, it's a nice area, but not a whole lot going on.

One thing to take into consideration, which office will you be doing more time in? that 287 and 78 corridor is very congested during rush hour.

John97 mentioned Hillsborough, definitely a nice area to consider. Other areas at the mid point I would try and find a place would be Bedminster Township, Bernards Twp, Bridgewater Twp. If you look at a map, look where 78 and 287 intersect, and then the area where 202 hits 287 (Somerville). And also as he said COL and rents are high in NJ. Also auto insurance is high. See if your employer has NJ Manufacturer's insurance.

Somerville is nice, although there are some areas that are less than nice. I'd stay out of New Brunswick, it's a college town (Rutgers).

It comes down to what do you want? Rural? or more urban environment? The two locations of your work couldn't me more different.

Also, give a realtor a call, they may have listings that don't show up elsewhere.

Good luck.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

said by fryer:

Other areas at the mid point I would try and find a place would be Bedminster Township, Bernards Twp, Bridgewater Twp. If you look at a map, look where 78 and 287 intersect, and then the area where 202 hits 287 (Somerville). And also as he said COL and rents are high in NJ. Also auto insurance is high. See if your employer has NJ Manufacturer's insurance.

Somerville is nice, although there are some areas that are less than nice. I'd stay out of New Brunswick, it's a college town (Rutgers).

Those are great areas as well, and that's solid advice about New Brunswick and Somerville. Good call on the auto insurance, that totally slipped my mind.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it

join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ

I live in Princeton. Sounds to me like you want a place where they do NOT shut everything down at 9PM. New Brunswick has more stuff going on, and you might want to be near the train line to NYC for more action.
--
Go desiel

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ
reply to fryer

Can you explain the auto insurance a bit more?
--
What smells like blue?

fryer

join:2003-11-13
Chadds Ford, PA
kudos:2

Sure.

New Jersey has higher than average auto insurance. I've lived in several states and I recall it being more there than anywhere else. Check these guys out:
»www.njm.com/
it used to be that your employer had to be a member, but maybe not anymore.

Another town that I forgot about is Morristown. Really nice and has train into NYC. Also has a nice little downtown. However the trade off is a little more commute to both areas

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ

Thanks. I did some more research on New Jersey insurance, I am expecting my rates to go up about $50/month. Nothing too bad. I'll probably keep my current insurer, which is USAA as they are typically ranked the best insurance company in the country.

I once got a call from All State or something and they asked if I wanted a quote, I told them I had USAA and they pretty much said we can't compete with that and the phone call ended.
--
What smells like blue?

FFJOHNL312
Premium
join:2007-12-16
Pawtucket, RI
reply to Omega

Good luck in your move. Insurance is high there, but at least they don't have the double dipping scam they do here in RI, where your car is considered property and as such, has a tax bill that comes with it in July based on it's assessed value.